Mariposa county / Maxwell creek private land

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-

Lurked for a long time around here but finally decided to see what my property has to offer. I'm in the coulterville area on my private ranch. I have numerous drainages on my property that eventually end up in Maxwell creek. These drainages are thousands of feet long, and start at an elevation of about 3000-3500 feet in elevation and drop to roughly 2k feet in elevation before entering my neighbors ranch where Maxwell runs through. The neighbors have been there since the 49r days so gold is obviously there and they have a couple hard rock tunnel mines on their land that they haven't worked in at least 50-75 years. There are numerous tailing type piles on my land, although I have yet to find a tunnel. There are roads that you can see carved into the sides of the hills on my ranch going to some precarious places which are now completely overgrown. I can only imagine if these roads or trails are in these areas, they must be for very good reason because it is not easy travels to say the least. I also have two of the best springs in the area that run year round even in the worst of droughts. I'm telling you all this just to paint a brief history and of my thought process as I'm certainly new to this.

Anyways, I bought a little yellow jacket 36" sluice and figured I'd look on my property to see if there was any type of placer in my drainages. First spot I went to was the spring. I dug a decent hole behind a nice "knob" of bedrock in the spring area and found a few nice specs and some decent flour gold. This wasn't even a proper hole down to bedrock. I'll have to go back. I know there is gold eroding from somewhere above this drainage point now, so I decided to go to the drainage behind my cabin which looks much more mild, less steep and doesn't flow nearly the water, only flows a few times a year during rainiest times. I found a nice little spot where the bedrock drops a foot or two into a "hole" of bedrock. I cleaned it out decently, certainly not as precise or in depth as I could have gone and I again, got some nice colors but also got a little picker that I saw sitting in the sluice before panning! I can't tell you how excited I was. The reason I'm writing this isn't to boast or brag, the fact is the number value is small. What I'm most excited about is that the gold is on my ranch. Because my ranch is a big hill (80 acres) and flows into Maxwell, does this mean that this gold has to be eroding from a vein somewhere above me on my land? These drainages pretty much start on my property at the peak of the hill. Because gold can't travel up stream my understanding is it must be from somewhere on the face of my property? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not in a hurry to find the gold as it isn't going anywhere and I'm never selling this place, but what would you folks do? I have a lot of free time for the next few months which happens to be when the water is flowing. I feel like a newbie at this and if I found this little gold in 2 days with minimal effort and knowledge my thinking is there has to be some nice deposits here. With the best springs in the area on my land, all the gold activity in this area back in the day, and even all the hand forged tools I've found on my land (axes, rock hammers, etc....) I figure there must be a lot here that was missed ? Maybe I'm being naive I don't know, but please if you have any thoughts or suggestions share them. I'll try to put up a picture of the "picker!" Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenmitch
My property is 3000 feet long and 1500 feet wide fully off grid. I have ran 2" mainline with solar pumps and such from lower spring to water tanks 300 feet of head up to gravity feed cabin and such but much of the land and drainage areas are dry 99% of the year. To get any volume of water (100s) of gallons to the drainage themselves would be lots of work, not that I'm against working. Might be easier to bring material to the numerous water tank farms on the land and work from there....thank you sir !

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would research how they solved the problem back in the day and see if anything can be resurrected on your site. Using modern day equipment (BGT, sluice, garret pans, classifiers)
start where you can for now.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence the recirculation part.

Something like this Multi Sluice - Gold Concentrator with pump and hose along with something like a larger plastic kiddie pool, cattle trough, etc. is what I was thinking.

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff-
Great suggestions thank you

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenmitch-
That is a great idea and I was looking into that multi sluice actually but isn't it more for concentrates? I figured I needed some type of recirculating rig that could process plenty of material. Time is money to me and it's how I live my life. If the multi sluice can handle volume that's fantastic but like I said just thought it was more for the final steps of sluicing. I watched gold hogs 30 minute video on the sluice and it seems like a great product.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that would really depends on how big and what type of material you plan to run. Would imagine anything under a 1/2" or so would work. On phone so can't watch any videos currently.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Field use also....This is from the multi sluice site. "BONUS… Run as a field unit.
Want a VERY lightweight, portable unit to run in the field?
While it was not designed as a field unit, the Multi Sluice™ can be used as primary unit for those needing a small portable unit. Whether you’re dealing with state / fed restrictions, limited water access / supply, or just want a small unit, take the Multi Sluice ™ into the field. Classify material to 1/4″ and run with the con mat."

The down side is having to classify to minus 1/4" before feeding since it does not have a grizzly. If you are working gravels without too much clay it is very doable though.

See here. http://www.multisluice.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kenmitch
Thank you. The material varies from very small rocks to chunks that are large and heavy.

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizau
Thank you for clearing that up. What a great option. Unfortunately there is a tremendous amount of red clay everywhere and I also find this gray blue clay in the holes I dig, like I said though work is not something I shy away from. If that's what it takes that's what I'll do. Thanks again

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff
Thank you, I've already started my log, thank you very much!

Rowdy Yates

Nov 15, 2006
Coulterville, California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
and I also find this gray blue clay

Pay close attention to that clay..... I run a recirculating sluice when the creek is dry. Even a kid can do it! :)

Rick

BrookeSluice.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rowdy
Thanks for stopping by and what an awesome and easy looking setup. I'm excited to learn more, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff
Nice build! Seems like that thing most certainly cleans the rocks well and I really enjoyed the video, thank you for posting it.

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About to go set up the sluice in a drainage and have fun and got sidetracked when I found this interesting spot sitting in some brush pretty well hidden. Nice little quartz stringer running through that rock too

IMG_0562.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about sideways pic again, I'm gonna figure out how to rotate them before I put up another one

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought you'd go buy some carpet runners to line some of your drainage ditches. Too much flow?

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carpet runner? Is that sluice slang ? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to the gold slang talk if so lol, but flow doesn't seem like too much to me, when I run it with much less flow the rocks don't seem to wash out of the sluice very well they start to back up. That is a small little spot, the pic might make it look bigger I don't know

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol. I meant drainage ditches on your land. Carpet runners like those used in long hallways. Chance of catching the small gold before it escapes your land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread