Mariposa county / Maxwell creek private land

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-

Lurked for a long time around here but finally decided to see what my property has to offer. I'm in the coulterville area on my private ranch. I have numerous drainages on my property that eventually end up in Maxwell creek. These drainages are thousands of feet long, and start at an elevation of about 3000-3500 feet in elevation and drop to roughly 2k feet in elevation before entering my neighbors ranch where Maxwell runs through. The neighbors have been there since the 49r days so gold is obviously there and they have a couple hard rock tunnel mines on their land that they haven't worked in at least 50-75 years. There are numerous tailing type piles on my land, although I have yet to find a tunnel. There are roads that you can see carved into the sides of the hills on my ranch going to some precarious places which are now completely overgrown. I can only imagine if these roads or trails are in these areas, they must be for very good reason because it is not easy travels to say the least. I also have two of the best springs in the area that run year round even in the worst of droughts. I'm telling you all this just to paint a brief history and of my thought process as I'm certainly new to this.

Anyways, I bought a little yellow jacket 36" sluice and figured I'd look on my property to see if there was any type of placer in my drainages. First spot I went to was the spring. I dug a decent hole behind a nice "knob" of bedrock in the spring area and found a few nice specs and some decent flour gold. This wasn't even a proper hole down to bedrock. I'll have to go back. I know there is gold eroding from somewhere above this drainage point now, so I decided to go to the drainage behind my cabin which looks much more mild, less steep and doesn't flow nearly the water, only flows a few times a year during rainiest times. I found a nice little spot where the bedrock drops a foot or two into a "hole" of bedrock. I cleaned it out decently, certainly not as precise or in depth as I could have gone and I again, got some nice colors but also got a little picker that I saw sitting in the sluice before panning! I can't tell you how excited I was. The reason I'm writing this isn't to boast or brag, the fact is the number value is small. What I'm most excited about is that the gold is on my ranch. Because my ranch is a big hill (80 acres) and flows into Maxwell, does this mean that this gold has to be eroding from a vein somewhere above me on my land? These drainages pretty much start on my property at the peak of the hill. Because gold can't travel up stream my understanding is it must be from somewhere on the face of my property? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not in a hurry to find the gold as it isn't going anywhere and I'm never selling this place, but what would you folks do? I have a lot of free time for the next few months which happens to be when the water is flowing. I feel like a newbie at this and if I found this little gold in 2 days with minimal effort and knowledge my thinking is there has to be some nice deposits here. With the best springs in the area on my land, all the gold activity in this area back in the day, and even all the hand forged tools I've found on my land (axes, rock hammers, etc....) I figure there must be a lot here that was missed ? Maybe I'm being naive I don't know, but please if you have any thoughts or suggestions share them. I'll try to put up a picture of the "picker!" Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't met a mountain lion on my property in person, yet...... but I have run into a bear three times now, and we have an understanding....... the bear sees me and he runs away. I like that. Rick

Sounds like the ideal bear to encounter.

The kitty cats are the ones to fear the most. Stealth like attacks! Probably would feel them before you see them....Guess a nice size disposable dog for bait might buy a person enough time to get a weapon of choice out.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a study that makes for an interesting read:
http://www.weather.com/science/news/earthquakes-water-to-gold-20130319
This report above caused me to read a story about 'volcanic' gold but it is really about small amounts of gold in super hot water and then 'deposited' out of solution at some location. Maybe it is this super hot water with gold and quartz that we see in veins?
Geotimes - December 2006 - Gold mine deposited rapidly

There is a fantastic geo map/study done on the southern motherlode that made me a fortune over the years, out of print but I know I kept so will look as no other comes even close to accuracy. John

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geology of the Southern Motherlode is it .....but I lent it out many times and just found the folder...with a AAA map in it instead of the proper geo map. I immediately got the last copy and will be here in a few days. That'll give me time to hunt through 1,000s of maps to see if it WAS returned albeit in the wrong sleeve folder. BIG bummer as bought new in 1977.JBars If I find the old one I'll send the new one to you for "free" after I copy what I want as not mining that far south anymore but want to retain the series. All I ask is you share in the same manner with others as info sources dries up. John

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a little work trip! Thx for the replies and Rowdy, wow! That's a big lion right there. I've heard some incredible cat calls over the past month or two, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It may be the same guy!

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser john
That is incredibly kind of you and I would do my best to share it with everyone. Heck, you could even come down and hang out for a bit while we do some exploring. We could use my ranch as a home base! I found a book written in 1917 about Maxwell creek gold, but I only see it located in the Berkeley library, trying to figure out how to get my hands on it!

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0568.jpg

This is the little hole I was working on a few days ago. It is about 200 feet higher up the same drainage I pulled the little picker out of. I found some black sand, about 4 or 5 little chunks of lead and some small flakes of gold as well as some flour gold

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser john
That is incredibly kind of you and I would do my best to share it with everyone. Heck, you could even come down and hang out for a bit while we do some exploring. We could use my ranch as a home base! I found a book written in 1917 about Maxwell creek gold, but I only see it located in the Berkeley library, trying to figure out how to get my hands on it!

Ask your local library to get it for you via inter-library loan.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being sent already paid for. Must finish WQ work first then map time. Found a few stories/reports for you also. The fella who discovered Yosemite had a 50 gallon barrel full of gold nuggets when he died....from the Merced. Will scan/post later-John

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff
Me too! Still working on it

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin
That is a great idea. I'm going to go to the local library and see what can be done about that. Thank you for sharing

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser john
50 gallon barrel?! Wow. That's incredible, and I'm sure you couldn't even tell he had a penny to his name. Very excited to hear more on this and the maps as well, thank you

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being sent already paid for. Must finish WQ work first then map time. Found a few stories/reports for you also. The fella who discovered Yosemite had a 50 gallon barrel full of gold nuggets when he died....from the Merced. Will scan/post later-John

50 gallon barrel? If full doing the math its 4 tons! That's uber crazy!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since man started mining he has recovered about 155,000 tons (troy) have been mined. China is the #1 producer at around 450t a year Austrailia #2. at 240t or so.
Every year about 50 million ounces are mined. That would make a 14ft cube.
A cube made from all the gold mined would be a little over 80 ft per side.

That old guy with a 55gal barrel of gold is literally one of the most successful individual gold miners EVER!!

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i squint really hard my little vial looks like a 50 gallon barrel...

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A 55 gallon barrel is actually 57.66 gallons or 13,320 cubic inches. If the 55 gallon barrel was completely full of gold it would weigh 9,324 pounds. Assuming the gold was not solid but almost 20% air that would still be 7,459 pounds - nearly 4 tons. Considering a extra heavy duty modern 55 gal barrel is rated to hold 1,250 pounds that full gold barrel would be holding nearly six times as much weight as it was rated for.

Ah well - I've seen enough miners put their gold in old glass pickle jars that the barrel story is almost believable. Sad that someone would mine all that gold to just throw it in an old barrel that was bound to split. Most folks would sell it or at least have it on display.

The members of the Mariposa Battalion who "discovered" Yosemite in March of 1851 were all dead by 1903 and the 55 gallon drum wasn't invented until 1905. I've got this picture of an ancient guy collecting nuggets at high speed and running home to dump them in his not yet invented steel barrel.

More than likely the barrel of gold story comes from James D. Savage. Savage by his own account never even saw Yosemite valley before the Mariposa Battalion entered in 1851 but he is often credited with being the discoverer of Yosemite. From his Fresno (Coarse Gold) and Mariposa creek stores he traded goods with the local natives for gold they mined with Reverend James Woods at Big Oak Flat. By several accounts he became wealthy trading five pound bags of flour for an ounce of gold.

There were several local rumors that he got so much gold from the natives that he "filled a barrel". A barrel at the time would have been made of wood and the standard U.S. dry barrel used to ship goods for sale was 26 gallons and could hold a little more than 200 pounds. This would have been the barrel Savage was rumored to have kept his excess gold in. By his own account Savage exchanged his barrel of gold for supplies for his stores in San Francisco in October of 1850. Savage died in 1852 - he was shot and killed in an argument with another white store owner.

Heavy Pans

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold grows every time the story is told. Truth may be it was a steel 5 gallon bucket. I'd settle for that.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering and don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but if that "barrel" of gold was buried on a federal mining claim would it belong to the claim owner or anyone since it is not in it's natural resting place? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread