Mariposa county / Maxwell creek private land

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all-

Lurked for a long time around here but finally decided to see what my property has to offer. I'm in the coulterville area on my private ranch. I have numerous drainages on my property that eventually end up in Maxwell creek. These drainages are thousands of feet long, and start at an elevation of about 3000-3500 feet in elevation and drop to roughly 2k feet in elevation before entering my neighbors ranch where Maxwell runs through. The neighbors have been there since the 49r days so gold is obviously there and they have a couple hard rock tunnel mines on their land that they haven't worked in at least 50-75 years. There are numerous tailing type piles on my land, although I have yet to find a tunnel. There are roads that you can see carved into the sides of the hills on my ranch going to some precarious places which are now completely overgrown. I can only imagine if these roads or trails are in these areas, they must be for very good reason because it is not easy travels to say the least. I also have two of the best springs in the area that run year round even in the worst of droughts. I'm telling you all this just to paint a brief history and of my thought process as I'm certainly new to this.

Anyways, I bought a little yellow jacket 36" sluice and figured I'd look on my property to see if there was any type of placer in my drainages. First spot I went to was the spring. I dug a decent hole behind a nice "knob" of bedrock in the spring area and found a few nice specs and some decent flour gold. This wasn't even a proper hole down to bedrock. I'll have to go back. I know there is gold eroding from somewhere above this drainage point now, so I decided to go to the drainage behind my cabin which looks much more mild, less steep and doesn't flow nearly the water, only flows a few times a year during rainiest times. I found a nice little spot where the bedrock drops a foot or two into a "hole" of bedrock. I cleaned it out decently, certainly not as precise or in depth as I could have gone and I again, got some nice colors but also got a little picker that I saw sitting in the sluice before panning! I can't tell you how excited I was. The reason I'm writing this isn't to boast or brag, the fact is the number value is small. What I'm most excited about is that the gold is on my ranch. Because my ranch is a big hill (80 acres) and flows into Maxwell, does this mean that this gold has to be eroding from a vein somewhere above me on my land? These drainages pretty much start on my property at the peak of the hill. Because gold can't travel up stream my understanding is it must be from somewhere on the face of my property? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not in a hurry to find the gold as it isn't going anywhere and I'm never selling this place, but what would you folks do? I have a lot of free time for the next few months which happens to be when the water is flowing. I feel like a newbie at this and if I found this little gold in 2 days with minimal effort and knowledge my thinking is there has to be some nice deposits here. With the best springs in the area on my land, all the gold activity in this area back in the day, and even all the hand forged tools I've found on my land (axes, rock hammers, etc....) I figure there must be a lot here that was missed ? Maybe I'm being naive I don't know, but please if you have any thoughts or suggestions share them. I'll try to put up a picture of the "picker!" Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering and don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but if that "barrel" of gold was buried on a federal mining claim would it belong to the claim owner or anyone since it is not in it's natural resting place? :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Nope, it would be US Govt (aka public) property. If over 50 years old it would be a "relic" with fines for disturbing it without permission.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope, it would be US Govt (aka public) property. If over 50 years old it would be a "relic" with fines for disturbing it without permission.

There is no 50 year relic law for public lands Kevin. The antiquities Act provides for protection from disturbance on Federal lands of man made items of archaeological interest more than 100 years old. Bullets, coins, arrowheads found on the surface and mining disturbances are exempt from enforcement of the law. Under that law the barrel might be protected but the gold would not (not man made).

Treasure (gold and silver items that were left hidden and abandoned) found on Federal lands belong to the United States. If a person were to find 8 tons of gold buried on public lands they can not keep it as if it were their own under current law. I always question the IQ of people who would find such a thing and report it to the proper authority. :dontknow:

Heavy Pans

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hopefully there are some huge awesome missed deposits there that you can mine at your leisure, and on your own private property there is no better. But before you start shopping for backhoes and trommels and pumps I'd be sure that money is in the ground first. You should do some serious testing to see what your looking at there and what it's potential worth is, if that's the goal. Maybe make some new cuts through the drainages and take some deep samples for the placers but tracking the source would be the big payer if it's there.
If you have gold bearing veins eroding out on your property then the missed placers would be small potatoes. Find the veins and save the placers for the grandkids.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER said 55 gallon as not around then. Big Jim Savage was the man and the Merced drainage was his heaven. Indians were smart to have kept it secret as heaven in the summer compared to the valley. John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your right you only said 50

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahahahah I'm right well my god I never would have thunk....
For the New Zealand Paralympic athlete, see Jim Savage (athlete).
Jim Savage or James D. Savage, (1817–1852) was a California pioneer. He was a 49er, businessman, American soldier in the Mexican American War, and commander of the California Militia, Mariposa Battalion in the Mariposa War, and the discoverer of the Yosemite Valley.
[h=2]Contents[/h] [hide]

[h=2]Early years[edit][/h]James D. Savage was born in Morgan County, Illinois in 1817. When he was sixteen, his family settled in Princeton, Bureau County, Illinois. Although poorly educated he had a gift for learning languages. Savage married and moved to Peru, Illinois, where his daughter was born. In April 1846, Savage and his brother, Morgan, decided to migrate to California. At Independence, Missouri, they joined the party led by former Missouri Governor Lilburn Boggs for the trip to California. During the six-month journey, both his wife and child died.
[h=2]California[edit][/h][h=3]Mexican American War[edit][/h]Boggs' party arrived in California in late October 1846, and Savage joined John Fremonts, California Battalion during the California Campaign of the Mexican American War. In April 1847, Frémont disbanded the battalion and Savage went to the San Joaquin Valley where he lived with the Tularenos and learned their language. He eventually married several daughters of the tribal leaders of the tribes in the Sierra foothill region and led them in war against other tribes as one of their chieftains.
[h=3]Gold rush[edit][/h]After the discovery of gold at Sutters Mill, Savage established his own trading posts on Mariposa Creek and the Merced and Fresno Rivers where he traded for gold with the local tribes. In October 1850, he traveled to San Francisco with a band of Indians, and was said to have rolled a barrel full of gold dust through the lobby of the hotel where he was staying. When he returned to his post on the Fresno River, he found it had been raided and his employees killed by some of the tribesmen he had been trading with.
[h=3]Yosemite[edit][/h]When local militia failed to quell the uprising of the tribes, the governor of California, John McDougall put Savage at the head of a unit of State Militia called the Mariposa Battalion with the rank of Major. On March 25, 1851, Savage marched at the head of a company of the Mariposa Battalion which included a Doctor Lafayette Bunnell, who wrote about the expedition. Marching into the Sierra wilderness, they came upon Yosemite Valley at Inspiration Point and became the first non-indigenous discoverers of Yosemite Valley. Discovery was not the main purpose of the trip: the Battalion rode out in search of Native American tribal leaders believed to have been involved in recent raids on American settlements. After campaigns up the rivers into the mountains and taking control of the Yosemite, the tribes submitted to moving to a reservation ending the Mariposa War and the Mariposa Battalion was disbanded.
[h=2]Last years[edit][/h]Savage returned to his work as a trader, establishing posts at the new reservations. On July 2, 1852, white squatters entered the Kings River Reservation and several natives were massacred by whites led by Walter Harvey. Savage publicly denounced the action to pacify the tribes, and called upon the United States Indian Commissioners to conduct an inquiry. A council was to be held in August. While on his way to the council, Savage met Harvey, and an argument ensued in which Harvey demanded that Savage retract his statements about him. Savage struck Harvey on the chin, and Harvey pulled a pistol and killed Savage with four shots. Harvey was arrested and tried for murder, but not convicted. The fact that the judge trying the case had been placed on the bench by Harvey may have been a reason for the acquittal.
[h=2]References[edit][/h]Rolled that sucker through the hotel lobby hahahahaha

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks John for reminding us of the colorful history of Mariposa county:icon_thumleft:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you sir Oak how about a bit more of the motherlode you covet soooo much? The southern motherlode is geological heaven for gems, minerals, building materials from jade to slate, this Maxwell Creek property is in one of the MOST righteous there is. Not enough gold well how about some REAL nephtite,shale steps, siding, mariposite,quartz crystals,boulders on and on and on. Plantnium.rhodium,osdium and on and on you go. The map coming has everything in exacting detail never seen on the mariposa 1:250,000 scale geological map overlay series. John

Attachments

• img016.jpg
    img016.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome replies. I'd like to see that barrel rolled through the lobby as well! I went on a little adventure near home, but not on my ranch. I believe I found some nice gold ore. It does not appear to be pyrite to me which I have also found. IMG_0588.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0596.JPG

Needless to say, I think I found a decent amount, not sure, but there were multiple minerals running in this ore and I'm not sure what all of them are

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0594.JPG

This is some other type of mineral I believe that also was running in the same ore

OP
OP
J

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did run a small magnet over what appears to be gold all over these rocks and did not get a single bit of attraction

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YAHOO looks like you've hit the ground running. After many hours and 1,000s of maps I finally found my old 77 map in the last box--always without fail the bloody last. Anyhow my copy is torn,sweat, rain and blood stained so you get the new one as soon as it shows up. I had forgot it's 3' x 4' with 1,000s of test sites and complete analysis(and complete geological report also) so you can track any kind of mineral, dike, contact zone etc etc etc. Now I remember why I covet so much. Anyhow pm please a address to send to-yours, friends, po box whatever as not trying to stalk or get your info to highgrade as never done that. NEVER post any info as to locations/names or you will get many MANY visitors as proven here and many other forum 100s of times. Stay warm as here come a trifecta of storms-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread