sourcing steel for mills and crushers?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something that has been on my mind is where to get hardened steel cylinders for building flail type crushers? What kinds of industry would use heavy walled material like that and have scrap laying around? I can see it being much more common in oil country. I don't expect many people are looking to cut up sections of yarder tower to sell to random prospectors for parts. Anyone have any ideas where I might locate cheap materials for building a flail mill, a jaw crusher and a ball or rod mill? I'm in western washington.

Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Try DRMO auctions, the one the US Forces have overseas always has metal like this, get it dirt cheap. Trouble is it comes in a lot and that normally means it is alot of stuff to haul off.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Find a scrap yard, tell them what you're looking for and why, then ask who there could best help you. Don't sell those folks short - they "know" their metals!

I almost also suggested checking out a tractor salvage yard and picking up some old (non-working) hydraulic cylinders, but the shafts are normally chromed and that would eventually chip off, which might cause you problems.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something that has been on my mind is where to get hardened steel cylinders for building flail type crushers? What kinds of industry would use heavy walled material like that and have scrap laying around? I can see it being much more common in oil country. I don't expect many people are looking to cut up sections of yarder tower to sell to random prospectors for parts. Anyone have any ideas where I might locate cheap materials for building a flail mill, a jaw crusher and a ball or rod mill? I'm in western washington.

You should see what I pick up out in the desert. On the flail mill, any piece of large diameter heavy wall pipe will last a long time. Its the chains that wear quickly.

And you have to be careful when you get into "hardened" metals. Oxyacetylene WILL NOT cut AR500 plate. You have to use either cutoff wheels (a lot of them) or a plasma cutter. Also with "hardened" metals, you get into the "heat affected zone". Commonly referred to as the HAZ. If you get it too hot, whether cutting or welding, it anneals the metal back to it's softer state.

For the hassle involved with using "hardened" metals, I don't see where it is really useful to us. If your worried about wear, build your flail mill then line it with a "sacrificial" piece of pipe. Change it out when needed. Mine will be using pieces of old hot water heaters as liners. You fine those everywhere on junk clean up days.

nadavis

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
If you are ever down in Salem, there is a place on 22nd aprox 200 feet south of Mcgilcrest behind the auto wrecker that has some large steel pipe and lots of other steel.They are also very easy to work with as far as cutting off just what you need. if you were there and had a list of exactly what you needed and what size, and some cash, and they had some pipe a size you could work with, they might save you a lot of work. Cant remember the name of the place, and they are not always open, next time I am around there I will stop by and get more info

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well casing pipe would work. Mild steel is softer and forgiving and much easier to get. Use proof coil for the chain flails, they are tempered

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions