Is it worth crushing all quartz found in a rich gold district?

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a hint of the gold fever and thought I'd give a quick hunt a try. I probably should have studied up a lot more before beginning this, but as I do ... im into it and don't know what I'm doing lol

I made my way around Waverley, Nova Scotia (a known gold town around here -70,000oz pulled out of the area over the years) for a hunt for gold bearing quartz.

I found a few large stones and a few smaller ones I believe may have gold / silver inside of them and trace amounts on. (Small round flakes found on surface / jammed in surface cracks)

A few quartz stones are light and a few are much heavier than I would have expected.

Wondering if its worth exploring into the stones or if the gold would be on the exterior of the rocks only if it were to have existed. Should I gather the soils from the areas I found the stones instead of smacking the rock with a mallet until it pops?

Anyone want to post the typical link for newbies on how to begin processing samples for viability?

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another tip if your going to rake through taillings piles...many times the top 2 or 3 inches has a concentration of gold due to erosion. Careful detecting and or sluicing of that layer can yield some decent gold...go digging in with a shovel and you have just diluted the pay material to the point it may not be worth your time. I always get excited thinking I found a huge pile of paying ore....usually it turns out it's a surface concentration.

Also rich (heavy) pieces of ore tend to roll to the bottom of the pile and get covered up quickly with larger rocks.
I'm still waiting on the softball size chunk of gold laced ore.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another tip if your going to rake through taillings piles...many times the top 2 or 3 inches has a concentration of gold due to erosion. Careful detecting and or sluicing of that layer can yield some decent gold...go digging in with a shovel and you have just diluted the pay material to the point it may not be worth your time. I always get excited thinking I found a huge pile of paying ore....usually it turns out it's a surface concentration.

Also rich (heavy) pieces of ore tend to roll to the bottom of the pile and get covered up quickly with larger rocks.
I'm still waiting on the softball size chunk of gold laced ore.
Excellent information there IMAUDIGGER - thanks.
The crush, screen and scan or look method this one points out is for possible larger values inside of rocks. Both methods should be used to get a better ideas of the values there. There may be some other methods as well.
I really like your tip of not digging in to far in a pile.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what your trying to do. If you are hoping to find some gold in the samples you pick up, then trace it to the source and develop a hard rock mine, a trace amount of gold would be a good sign. I would suggest concentrating on an area that is open to claiming in case you do find a deposit.

If your just after some gold, then I would go directly to the tailings pile of an abandoned (un-claimed) gold mine. Rake through the pile while keeping your eye out for gold or unusual looking rocks. They will ALL have some discarded ore in them. It's was difficult to keep the country rock separated 100% from the ore when they were blasting and mucking.

Once you find a tailings pile that has some discarded gold ore, don't forget to go down hill and look for similiar looking rocks that eroded off the deposit. Dig around in the draws below the mines. Sometimes bedrock is only 3 or 4 feet deep and they skipped over it for lack of water.

However be sure that you are in an area known for high grade deposits - not micro gold that had to be chemically processed to be recovered.

Here is a piece I found earlier this year in a tailings pile.
View attachment 1488835

And another that I found just by looking with my eyes.
View attachment 1488836

Beware of tailing piles that are 100% country rock. There are many tunnels that were excavated either to get to a deposit, or to drain water, circulate air, explore, ect.
You don't want to waste your time looking through those types of tailings. To avoid that, I would focus on shallow mines, surface diggings, open cuts, ect. where they didn't waste time and effort on anything other than easy ore.

Option 1 for me. I want to locate trace amounts and hunt it back to source.
In waverley I am recalling cyanide being used for at least part of processing, today's town was built on the old main mine site ...mainly houses now... there was gold found in the hills above the town which is where Im hunting in dried up waterways and shallows and trying to examine rock faces for obvious signs of minerals. Once I identify host material I should have no issue finding more.

Today's interesting finds:
20170830_210039.jpg
20170830_204421.jpg
20170830_195944.jpg
20170830_145100.jpg
#4 Is the one Im looking to examine deeper into for now

In the Montague Gold Mine area I am pretty sure there would be good sites to look, but with current mining operations going on in the area I am waiting to do homework so Im not on someone's claim.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought something called a sore thumb rock crusher, they are about $40 and work well. You take a set of small likely samples and with little effort, smash them to itsy bitsy pieces and then pan the dust, that will give you an idea of if there's gold in it or not. A good solution would be to find nearby creeks and try them for color. If there's color in the creeks, there is gold in the rocks nearby.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought something called a sore thumb rock crusher, they are about $40 and work well. You take a set of small likely samples and with little effort, smash them to itsy bitsy pieces and then pan the dust, that will give you an idea of if there's gold in it or not. A good solution would be to find nearby creeks and try them for color. If there's color in the creeks, there is gold in the rocks nearby.

Just looked it up. Awesome! Im in. I was going to use the pipe and cap off an old oil tank and crush with a rod. That looks easier on the hands and can be braced with feet. Great budget item! Still going to be a long haul to get through this 5 gallon bucket when its full of my desired sample material.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the tips and direction, its been motivating. What do people use in the field to shiny up dull samples? Vinegar? I have a feeling this sample will pop if I clean it up. ... how does one do that?

20170831_010003.jpg
20170831_010223.jpg

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not aware of anything that will shiny up rocks other than a tumbler.

Gold on the other hand...you can clean it up pretty good using various chemicals.

The hobby miner needs a shallow, high paying deposit that contains free milling gold.
Just because they used cyanide to process that particular ore, it does not mean there isn't pocket gold in the immediate vicinity.
In the US we have a wealth of historical reports that clearly describe the type of deposits and how much they produced.
Very valuable information.

I heard a story about a local guy that packed rocks back all the time with the intention of crushing them for testing. Of course there were years of rocks laying around.
One day he got around to crushing some of them and found that one rock was just loaded with gold....he never could remember where he found it.
Moral of the story is, if your going to leave it laying around, you better catalog it or just toss it in the rock garden.

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not aware of anything that will shiny up rocks other than a tumbler.

Gold on the other hand...you can clean it up pretty good using various chemicals.

The hobby miner needs a shallow, high paying deposit that contains free milling gold.
Just because they used cyanide to process that particular ore, it does not mean there isn't pocket gold in the immediate vicinity.
In the US we have a wealth of historical reports that clearly describe the type of deposits and how much they produced.
Very valuable information.

I heard a story about a local guy that packed rocks back all the time with the intention of crushing them for testing. Of course there were years of rocks laying around.
One day he got around to crushing some of them and found that one rock was just loaded with gold....he never could remember where he found it.
Moral of the story is, if your going to leave it laying around, you better catalog it or just toss it in the rock garden.
A tumbler works wonders on rocks.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of these samples are the size of my head or bigger. Im going to focus on the polishing of the viable metals to help identify them instead of focusing on the stones. As I get to breaking down these large rocks I may find smaller interesting stones worth saving and polishing.
Thanks again for the input :)

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idea.

Some of these samples are the size of my head or bigger. Im going to focus on the polishing of the viable metals to help identify them instead of focusing on the stones. As I get to breaking down these large rocks I may find smaller interesting stones worth saving and polishing.
Thanks again for the input :)
You could try different acids such as battery acid etc but be careful and follow safety rules. Others on the forum have posted information about handling acids to start with. Do not inhale the fumes from any acid and have plenty of air ventilation.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the research I did today I have at least found out I am looking for "barrel quartz". Yet to see a sample of rough ore containing barrel quartz. ... anything I have posted already an example of stone containing barrel quartz or is that too generalized by describing the shape and not really any other distinctive quality?

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
As to the initial question...Is it worth crushing all quartz rocks found in a gold bearing area....crush up and pan a single 5 gallon bucket and you will know your answer.

It's a lot of work, even if you have a small jaw crusher and milling/pulverizer.

No it's better to prospect first.

That's the ticket. Sample sample sample. When you find what your looking for you'll know it. Its a lot of work to crush rock to powder. Start by breaking things open with a rock hammer. No need to reduce it to dust. That how you'll learn whats good and what isn't in your district. Every district is a little different. Eventually you'll b able to tell by looking if its worth further examination or not. Gold usually travels in pockets and fractures, a couple whack-taps will let you know if a piece is worth bringing home or not. I am not sure what barrel quartz is but I am sure if you keep looking for it when you find it you will know what it is.

From the research I did today I have at least found out I am looking for "barrel quartz". Yet to see a sample of rough ore containing barrel quartz. ... anything I have posted already an example of stone containing barrel quartz or is that too generalized by describing the shape and not really any other distinctive quality?

Just looked up barrel quartz. Shaping the Landscape | Two Types of Gold Deposits | Gold in Nature | Gold: A Nova Scotia Treasure
You'll know it when you run across it. The pictures of quartz you've shown so far may have originated from the gold bearing barrel quartz formation in your locality. Float. Broke off the main vein and floated off so to speak.
If the gold is associated with other mineralization (iron, copper, lead, ect) I would be looking for quartz stained with those minerals. If the gold came in pure quartz them by golly I might crack open every piece of quartz I see.

In mining its essential to understand your locality (geology and history) and sample extensively.

Twobrothers

Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
A quick search https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_mining_in_Nova_Scotia it sounds like the gold is associated with sulfide mineral arsenopyrite.

The demand for arsenopyrite a mineral associated with gold in Nova Scotia...

Gold-ish color, shiny, smells like garlic when you break it or when it gets wet. Iron Arsenic and Sulfur compound. Real nasty. Beware. My inclination on that stuff is let it R.I.P. Rot In Place. Have to research it but my guess is the gold is in close association with or locked up in the arsenopyrite. Not trying to be a wet blanket but any way you cut it arsenic isn't real nice to have to deal with. Roasting is neither a safe or ethical option. A couple people are researching how to safely oxidize the arsenopyrite, free the gold, and lock up the arsenic in a less bio available compound for safe disposial. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...g-arsenopyrite-other-sulphide-based-ores.html

Post some pictures if you find some. Then you'll be on the money.

View attachment 1489450 View attachment 1489451

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A quick search https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_mining_in_Nova_Scotia it sounds like the gold is associated with sulfide mineral arsenopyrite.

Gold-ish color, shiny, smells like garlic when you break it or when it gets wet. Iron Arsenic and Sulfur compound. Real nasty. Beware. My inclination on that stuff is let it R.I.P. Rot In Place. Have to research it but my guess is the gold is in close association with or locked up in the arsenopyrite. Not trying to be a wet blanket but any way you cut it arsenic isn't real nice to have to deal with. Roasting is neither a safe or ethical option. A couple people are researching how to safely oxidize the arsenopyrite, free the gold, and lock up the arsenic in a less bio available compound for safe disposial. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/h...g-arsenopyrite-other-sulphide-based-ores.html

Maybe a gold type detector with a 4-5" coil could 'See or pick up' a sample this size one would just have to try it out.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looking at those photos you provided and examining rock samples I have I would say these are all made of the same quartz you displayed with heavy mineralization.

20170830_195944.jpg This one weighs 5 kilo and is white in the interior. (Snapped off a sharp sliver on the other side.

20170829_120640.jpg same story on this stone is another 5kg and white inside like yours and full of various minerals

20170829_003413.jpg this one same story ... white crystal throughout and minerals.

Found all 3 very close together and appear to have snapped off near by larger formation sticking out of the ground. Looks like hobbitsville where the stones are lol. The reason im so determined on these stones and area is finding this on the same location 20170901_144146.jpg makes me think im not the first to "be here"

I have a gold pan in route, should be here Tuesday as well as a rock hammer. More answers soon, I am wanting to not poison myself through inhaling during my exploring so Im leary to start cracking stone until I have more info.

Water sample taken on location and ran metals test on it. (No gold test part of that test) but has 38ug/l arsenic copper 112, iron 106, manganese 447, nickle reads greater than 2, silver reads higher than 2, strontium 75, thallium, tin, titanium, uranium, and vanadium all greater than 2 and zinc reads 52. Yet more info I have but no real understanding of. Lol Trace uranium sounds interesting

I am going under the impression that arsenic is going to go hand in hand with the gold / minerals I find. Face mask and gloves good enough for protection? Story says a woman died in waverley in the 70's from arsenic poison ... her well tested at five thousand ug/l. Was national news again I believe in the early 80's

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using this image as a guide:

AGNS1995-461.jpg

I would say no to an exposed vein. I believe Im in the looser stuff on top of it thats hardened together. Im digging down into better concentrated minerals im hopeing

Attachments

• 20170901_152518.jpg
    20170901_152518.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 93
OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the area you are prospecting has a history of larger gold maybe one can spot some in the rocks by crushing some then look at by eye with the aid of a lens as well as metal detect. Crushing down to 100 mesh size will start to tell you the amount of values per volume of rocks. One may want to try different screen sizes for your prospecting area.

Lens, dental tool, sample bottles, and 100 mesh sifting pan on its way too ... should be here 2 days after my pan and hammer ... I probably havent found gold. But I will. Next order will be for rock crusher, magnetic seperation tool, and 50 mesh sifting pan.

OP
OP
N

NovaScotiaGold

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impatience grew. Old hammer met old smooth rock like god put the two in front of me I guess. I didn't think the handle could take use. Anyways .... this snapped off an end ... looks like minerals to me :)

20170901_182112.jpg

Its confusing still 4th dimensional thinking about what to look for. Found a huge quartz boulder same location, if there is a bottom to it then its at least 600lbs ... then stumbled across this today "In the early days of mining, a one hundred pound boulder found at Montague contained 77 troy ounces of gold, then worth $1,600. In 2012, that same boulder would be worth $135,000
http://novascotiagold.ca/theme/exploitation_de_lor-mining/montague-eng.php

Im in an area between waverley and montague trying to track the movement and source of stones of quartz that are out of place.

Waverley is the hilly area and the waterways
Montague is the high lands directly above waverley on a sort of plateau / rolling treeland

When these veins form ... it is molten quartz squeezing up between sedement rocks which can be seen in sheared off rock faces? ... would the vein pop to the surface as well in a small localized area like a "mini volcano" on a slope? spitting out bubbles of moulten material possibly? The closer bubbles bigger and rounder ... the smaller ones rolled further and lost roundness due to rolling while hot until stopped and cooled in more of a stubby cylinder shape with round edges? One of the boulders sticking out of the ground like a "tongue" where it sat and cooled unejected?

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello
Until some values are found it is hard to say what kind of quartz the values are in as well as near by. The values could be in very small pockets to even veins in or near the quartz. If there is any written history about this could be a good place to start looking.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions