Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett = Pulse Induction
Minelab = VLF = No better than a Bounty Hunter Pin Pointer
I have NEVER bought into the Minelab "hype"...

HH,

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting video... You could have posted it a few days ago since I just sold my brand new Garrett Pro pointer in and had in mind to get a minelabs hahahhahaa

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Thanks Albert for sharing-this was fun :hello2:

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Sorry to hear that Norbyx but there may be some duds out there. I hope you give us some good feedback if you get one. I'm just going to wait a bit and see what comes of all this.

GoGoGopher - The Garrett is VLF just like the Minelab and it runs on the same frequency - 12kHz. Just check their respective websites, it has been posted around. You know, I never bought into the Minelab hype for years. I kept away from their detectors because the hype was annoying. Then after not getting depth in my somewhat iron mineralized ground with the T2, V3i, etc. I went and tried out an E-Trac. I was sold. No hype, it just worked. Sometimes you got to see the truth in the false.

Albert

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well albert if depth is what you are after in a PP than the DetectorPro is the winner hands down. I think that there is no probe out there that will actually outperform that one in depth, but I don't see depth as my main reason to have a pp.
Now I liked the Garrett quite a lot and I might just get another one soon, but I was thinking of getting something different. Minelabs was quite atractive. At the moment I have the Sunray probe and I like it even though I find it slower than the GPP, even if it has some great advantages that the any external PP doesn't. First thing when using the headphones and gloves I couldn't hear the garrett or feel the vibration, so I had to pull my headphones off... With the sunray you hear the sound through the headphones just as you do when detecting. Also you have discrimination so if there is a nail near a coin and you find the nail with the regular PP you would have to rise, ri-scan the hole, determine that there is something else there and than look for the coin. With the sunray since your discrimination is determined by the detector you just scan and look for the goods and not the bads.
Since you have tested the Minelabs and didn't find it usefull you should give the Sunray a try... many etrack users say it's great on the etrack and they love the probe.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
I have used Sunray x-1 for long and decided not, its has advantage for new metal detecting enthusiast, but it has allot minuses, Pp Detector pro is not deeper and no way better then Garrett, never use it but have on the table ??? for now GArret is winer

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pistol probe is at least twice as deep as the garret, maybe a bit more.. But it is a PI so it should be...

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Absolutely not true. :thumb_down:

Stasys - He is right. I dug up some tests. PI pinpointers apparently do much better in the ground.

Garrett Pro Pointer on an Eisenhower Dollar got 3 inches
The Pistol Probe on an Eisenhower Dollar got 6 inches

The Pistol Probe actually goes a little too deep quite often and needs to be de-tuned I have read. It will hit deep iron (like at 9") and can miss coins at 4" if you are not careful. Just do a search, there is a lot of information out there.(Do a search for the user SilverHawk and you will see some great data on another forum)

Albert

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only watched the first 3 Minutes.

seen enough

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Albert I have been reading other posts on other forums that have the same results as you are... so basically the Minelabs is letting our expectations down. Well I am about to make myself a modified HF pinpointer just for the fun. I probably will be gettin a garrett again as I sold mine :BangHead:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Stasys - He is right. I dug up some tests. PI pinpointers apparently do much better in the ground.

The Pistol Probe actually goes a little too deep quite often and needs to be de-tuned I have read. It will hit deep iron (like at 9") and can miss coins at 4" if you are not careful. Just do a search, there is a lot of information out there.(Do a search for the user SilverHawk and you will see some great data on another forum)

Albert
Albert I have Pistol Probe and used it-its disaster, for small stuff is bad. my pistol probe works like it should, but its nothing special except size.

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Norbyx - No worries, get the "sidekick" for the Garrett Pro Pointer, I will order one shortly. I know a guy who says it works great (Critterhunter speaks highly of them). It costs like 10 bucks and you just push it and it puts the Garrett into boost mode. Here is the Youtube video link, just pm him. The Sidekick - YouTube (no connection to him)

Stasys - I can believe you but the question was depth and I know some detectorists (that make videos as well) and I can see in their videos it is 2X as deep (or close) as the Garrett. But it is a bit large, that is what keeps me from trying one.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Norbyx - No worries, get the "sidekick" for the Garrett Pro Pointer, I will order one shortly. I know a guy who says it works great (Critterhunter speaks highly of them). It costs like 10 bucks and you just push it and it puts the Garrett into boost mode. Here is the Youtube video link, just pm him. The Sidekick - YouTube (no connection to him)

Stasys - I can believe you but the question was depth and I know some detectorists (that make videos as well) and I can see in their videos it is 2X as deep (or close) as the Garrett. But it is a bit large, that is what keeps me from trying one.
ALbert buy Pistol Probe and try, to say its 2x time deeper, if it would be better in any way I would use it, but sadly its not.

OP
OP
earthmansurfer

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
Wait Stasys - You are the CTX expert and you never ran one. :laughing7:
I am just watching videos and reading reports that say the Pistol probe goes 5" - 6" deep on coins. You say no and you want me to buy one? :icon_scratch:

Perhaps it's the ground you're in?

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Wait Stasys - You are the CTX expert and you never ran one. :laughing7:
I am just watching videos and reading reports that say the Pistol probe goes 5" - 6" deep on coins. You say no and you want me to buy one? :icon_scratch:

Perhaps it's the ground you're in?
Perhaps Albert :laughing7:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
I was disappointed in the weak vibration the profinder had...........i haven't don't a head ta head test between my propointer & profinder but after seeing this video i think i will...mine seemed ta do o.k. in air tests but i didn't think about compairing the two in the dirt.

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Pistol Probe actually goes a little too deep quite often and needs to be de-tuned I have read. It will hit deep iron (like at 9")

Albert

wow! a probe going 9 inches, i would never repeat someone saying that :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread