Whites mxt or garrett at pro

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Trying to narrow down my search, and i feel that i get the overall best advice from this forum with so many advanced metal detectorists....please tell me which one is better, and i dont care that the atpro can go in water for this comparison...thank you all in advance, and im looking forward to your responses.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your gonna get 50 different answers if 100 people reply, the Whites Pros are it's made in the USA, excellent customer service, lots of good coil upgrade choices, very versatile & last it's just a solid detector. It's cons are it's not water proof, no tone ID & the screen is not back lit. I considered the AT Pro but decided against it for a few reasons. You will read good & bad stories about both detectors but regardless what you choose It's all about how well you learn to use & understand the machine!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
regardless what you choose It's all about how well you learn to use & understand the machine!
That is the most important thing. The Whites is a great detector, so is the At-pro. I have a whites and I love it, I have never tested the garrett but I have read great things about it.
Now the whites can be more vesatile because it can have a great number of available coils. Would I trade my MXT for an AT-Pro...??? No not really... I rather keep my whites. That says it all for me.
In any case both detectors are good.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is an awesome detector but if you would go with the MXTpro then you get the tone ID. I don't have many places clean enough to use the 12" coil though, I guess if you live around civil war sites and you was digging almost all targets it would be great. Good luck and HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having used both I can say I have had more trouble with the AT Pro than all my other detectors put together. If you must get a unit with a screen, get the MXT. But lately I've been having a ball using the Tesoro Outlaw which comes with 3 coils. But I am used to not using a screen and use the advanced audio.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
hey sandman, I have a tesoro eldorado umax, and I like it, but I feel like a vdi would help a little more in identifying trash, as I have dug a lot of it up, as well as some coins too. I know I have a good detector though.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey sandman, I have a tesoro eldorado umax, and I like it, but I feel like a vdi would help a little more in identifying trash, as I have dug a lot of it up, as well as some coins too. I know I have a good detector though.

If you learn the "crackle" "chirp" or whatever you want to call it, of the Tesoro when it is over an undesirable target, you don't need the screen. I like both and many others do as well, but if you like your current machine, and the only thing you feel your missing is the ability to better decide what to leave in the ground, you may be better served learning how the elderado is already telling you just that. Without a VDI you will most likely be digging more, but then again you will be digging more...

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the whites mxt just hunt in relic there's your 2tones

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the input!

It all boils down to what you are wanting in a machine.

The AT Pro is waterproof in case of rain or need to hunt in a creek, lighter and more of a stable machine. The 5X8 DD coil on it is AMAZING in trash or iron. Uses 4 AA compared to Whites 8 AA's.

The MXT is a bit more sensitive to low conductors IE the more pops and cracks. Bit better on gold.

Holler if you have questions on either. Love to help you! Bart

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Bart with all due respect I don't see where the mxt makes pops and cracks, mine is stable as a rock. On the other hand I have heard people with at-pros say its not stable. ???

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Norbyx you have to remember that many posters think their detector goes deeper if they dial in more sensitivity. This MORE is sometimes less as it "sees" more minerals that have to be GB'd out so the depth is less and it makes more cracks and crackles. Many don't have clue why the detector works the way it does. One hunters area is different from anothers with electrical interference also. Bart is correct in his assessment of the MXT.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Well I know that my mxt doesn't pop and crack, anyhow I never run it too hot. I learned the lesson with the v3i since it can analyze the signal so it will give you the reflected signal and the noise levels, and even if in some cases you "can" run a detector with higher sensitivity, in most cases if you go with the sensitivity too high your reflected signal will rise to a level where the gain transforms in loss. Unfortunately not many detectors can show you this on a screen so most people think that setting the sensitivity higher the detector will go deeper. And that is why they get all the pops and cracks and false beeps...

In any case I would take the mxt over the at-pro unless waterproof was one main reason for the purchase.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I know that my mxt doesn't pop and crack, anyhow I never run it too hot. I learned the lesson with the v3i since it can analyze the signal so it will give you the reflected signal and the noise levels, and even if in some cases you "can" run a detector with higher sensitivity, in most cases if you go with the sensitivity too high your reflected signal will rise to a level where the gain transforms in loss. Unfortunately not many detectors can show you this on a screen so most people think that setting the sensitivity higher the detector will go deeper. And that is why they get all the pops and cracks and false beeps...

In any case I would take the mxt over the at-pro unless waterproof was one main reason for the purchase.

Good post Norbyx. I am not a fan of pushing the sens really hard on any machine. I cant stand to run a machine that is not at a sensible sensitivity setting. I find more good targets running a stable sensitivity than I ever have trying to crank the sensitivity. Plus after a bit of hunting I very frustrated from all the noise and have take a break.

Have you run a AT Pro with a 5x8 DD coil on it before? I swing them all and in that price range it just cant be beat with that setup. I hunt with a few older fellas that have used everything under the sun and that is their go to detector now. He mumbles something like "from my cold dead hands...." lol

I have to agree with them.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some believe sensitvity control depth and it does to a certain extent.. Most detectors reach their max depth at about 70-75% of the sensitivity setting.. From there up you are increasing the sensitivity to smaller objects.. I believe the pops and crackles are tiny amounts of metals and minerals that the machine is picking up at high sensitivity levels, sometimes coverering or interfering with the signals of better targets..

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a fan of Whites MXT. The AT Pro is waterproof and the automatic or adjustable ground balance would be nice too. A water proof MXT would be the bomb.

Sounds good either way.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
JanThorCro said:
I'm a fan of Whites MXT. The AT Pro is waterproof and the automatic or adjustable ground balance would be nice too. A water proof MXT would be the bomb.

Sounds good either way.

:thumbsup:

True, i wouldve definitely opted for an mxt if it was waterproof....i love my atpro though...going to church, then hunting! God Bless all my fellow MD'ers

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come across a mxt pro new in box for $700. Is this a good deal and is anybody interested?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having used both I can say I have had more trouble with the AT Pro than all my other detectors put together. If you must get a unit with a screen, get the MXT. But lately I've been having a ball using the Tesoro Outlaw which comes with 3 coils. But I am used to not using a screen and use the advanced audio.

I have to admit in all fairness that Doctor Detroit bought me a new AT PRO and this one is working as it should. I am a happy clam.

Sent by SANDMAN

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had two Garrett's and was disappointed with both of them. So my vote is the MXT. (Had several White's and all were good machines.) BUT if you can go visit a dealer, not a big box store that has a few machines, and try out the two machines, you'll find out which machine you prefer. IMO it's worth a day trip if needed to visit a dealer with a coin garden.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread