High School Class Ring Returned And Mom Was Not Happy!

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been reading alot about "class rings"....can you tell me the meaning of them. Is it a boy...girl thing in your last year at school.
Not something we do over here. What the kids do on their last day of school here is to sign each others shirt. Think a ring sounds nicer.

U.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a symbol that you finished high school * -- in the old days only college folks got "graduation rings " to show where you graduated from ---however with the american middle class become more wealthy 8th thru 12th grade kids that finished "high school" started getting rings made up to show where they went to school at as well. --girls always wanted their boyfreinds class rings as proof that they were "serious" about them to show off to others and if he broke off with them --they would keep or throw away the ring for spite .-- the ring was in effect "hostage"

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have one I tried to return. I found the only person in the yearbook that had the initials in the ring and even contacted the newspaper in that town to see if they wanted to contact him. They did and he told them it wasn't his! It couldn't have belonged to anyone else! His initials, none other in the year graduated and right town. The only thing I can think was that he was some place he wasn't supposed to be when he lost it. People are funny. It could be that someone stold the girl's ring and lost it across the state? Who knows? At least a thank you would have been a nice gesture. M :dontknow: nty

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in S. Korea, and going in the U.S.Army Camp, and saw a man and woman in an empty field...no machines....but, bending over and looking and searching in the grass. I figured it out pretty quick. So, stopped the car, got out, and walked over. The woman had lost both her wedding ring and engagement ring.....so they were trying to "find" it, in some nice green grass. Told them I had a detector and would go get it, which I did. They showed me where the dogs had jumped on the lady, and somehow, in the fracas, she lost the rings. Well, in less then 10 minutes I had found both bands. They were all smiles.....and those rings were EX-PEN-SIVE. They were most appreciative. And we became friends. Of course, they offered to pay, and I told them, "no." But, their friendship was a great reward. And I got to help out some of my real American heros.
Sorry about the (lack or) appreciation you received. Seems some people just have not been taught what is required of them to be in the human race.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a nice thing that you did hikeinmts. I know I would be very sad if I lost my wedding ring.

U.

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
When you hold a door open for a stranger you mostly get a 'thank you' or a smile. That one ungrateful SOB who does not acknowledge the kind act makes you want to kick him (or her) in the A$$. Am I right, people? Then you say "you're welcome" even though they didn't say "thank you" and it makes you feel better.

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Never found a ring to return to its owner. I have found several dog tags with info on them and have mailed them back. In all of those cases I received some acknowledgement of thanks. It is a good feeling to return things lost by people.

It seems this woman (the Mom) may actually been thinking youmay have been involved in the ring being 100 miles away. Maybe she had the whole 'Internet Rondezvous' thing in mind and you were some kind of creeper.

Sad the times we live in sometimes, but at least there are a few, like you, who can actually say you have integrity. Good for you on the return.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread