🏆 HONORABLE MENTION curious mountain stick ? THE FINAL CHAPTER !

D

dugupfinds

Re: curious mountain stick ?

MiddenMonster said:
mojjax said:
I plan to go to the bank this week and ask a few questions / maybe there are some placks on the wall with the names of past bank presidents . I hope to talk to Mr. Dodge too !

Now a big question: If it turns out as it appears to be heading that the names on the stick are in fact the people who went on to some prominence in town, would you donate the stick to either their descendants or a local historical society? I'd be tempted to keep it, but I would be worried about being able to preserve the pencil writing. The more it's handled the more it will rub off. I would also be concerned about dust and oils collecting on it. It ain't the staff of Moses, but it does represent an important piece of history for the area, and possible region.

And do dugfinds: Are you writing to History Detectives because of this stick, or because of Elyse Luray? ;) I'd agree that either is a good reason!

I think you know :-*

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

AOSDC said:
1880 census

Birthplace
Joel HUSTON Self M Male W 71 ME Ret. Ship Builder ME ME
Ann HUSTON Wife M Female W 58 ME House Keeping ME ME
Lizzie S. HUSTON Dau S Female W 27 ME At Home ME ME
Joel P. HUSTON Son S Male W 22 ME At Home ME ME
Esther H. HUSTON Dau S Female W 20 ME At Home ME ME

Nice work AOSDC! I tried to find those folks and came up empty... :-[

This has been a fun post to help with! I'm dying to see how it ends mojjax!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Looks like Mr. George Gay was busy also.....

Gay &Parsons Augusta -1888-
Tools Made: Screwdrivers, specifically ratchet screwdrivers
Remarks: See Gay, George E.

Gay, George E. Augusta -1878-1905-
Tools Made: Screwdrivers
Remarks: Gay had three patents for different types of screwdrivers - a ratchet screwdriver (patented 1878), a spiral screwdriver (patented 1892) and another ratchet screwdriver (patented 29 July 1902). Except for Gay & Parsons who he was a part of for a few years surrounding 1888, George worked alone. He used several marks to distinguish his screwdrivers: GAY | PAT. DEC 17, 1878 || GEO.E.GAY | AUGUSTA | ME. and GEO.E.GAY AUGUSTA, MAINE U.S.A. | PAT. DEC. 13, 1892. It is thought to be some point after 1900 that he added "Mfg. Co." to his name and acquired the brand name UNION. According to C.D. Fales: he shared with John A. Parsons: patent 210942, 12/17/1878, for an improvement in ratchet screwdrivers; patent 437297, 9/30/1890, ratchet screwdriver; patent 484004, 10/11/1892, spiral screwdriver and by himself: patent 644907, 3/6/1900, screwdriver; patent 705917, 7/29/1902, patent screwdrivers.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

You would probably be interested in the manuscript edited by Aimee Huston Eck,Minneapolis,Minnesota,1949. It is entitled "James and Mary Sloss Huston of Damariscotta,Maine and the Record of their Descendants" .It was written by Dr. Henry A. Huston of Kew Gardens,NY. It covers history and genealogy of James Huston and his wife Mary Sloss who came to Bristol,Maine from Ballymony,County Antrim,Northern Ireland with their 7 children about 1729. They came first to Boston,MA about 1725.
Most of the Hustons in the Bristol,Damariscotta,and Newcastle area are likely descended from James and Mary Huston. There is another fanily of Houstons in nearby Belfast and Searsport,Maine . They descend from Samuel Houston and Mary Cargill who came to Londonderry,NH in 1718 from Northern Ireland.They moved to Maine about 1774. There may have been a connection between the two families as the Houstons stayed with the Hustons in Bristol after the British burned their homes in Belfast,Me during the Rev. War.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

mojjax said:

Any chance of getting a full-on picture of this inscription? That seems to be the only text that needs to be determined. And who knows, Clara might turn out to be the main player in the conspiracy.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

elyse_luray.jpg
MEOW

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

MiddenMonster said:
They have one hot history detective in Elyse Luray. If she came out to your place for a visit it would be worth it, even if the stick thing didn't pan out:

Oh my that girl is easy on the eyes! Thanks for posting the pic. I will have to watch that show to get a few more glances of that beauty!

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

Skrimpy said:
Oh my that girl is easy on the eyes! Thanks for posting the pic. I will have to watch that show to get a few more glances of that beauty!

OK, then it's settled. IF Mojjax contacts History Detectives. And IF they agree to come out and investigate the stick people we are all invited to stay at Mojjax's place as long as Elyse Luray is there and on the case. It is said. It is done. Man law?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MAN LAW!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

Just post her pic in the found treasures and I will nominate it for the "Best of" forum.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

mojjax said:
I got this stick several years ago in a barn we were tearing down in Maine . Thought it looked good enough to set aside an keep . The other day I needed a piece of wood for a project I was doing . Just before I was about to cut it , I saw inscriptions on it .

Have you been able to find out any more about the names on this stick, mojjax? I'm still curious about the history behind it, and I want to know if I should start making plans to stay at your place when Elyse Luray show up.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

way too cool and if only the stick could talk :o

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, I've talked to an old man in town - showed him the stick - he told me who he thinks the J. P. huston guy was . I also found a graveyard full of stones with Huston on them , there were so many ,and I was on my way to work , so I did not get to check them all out (over 50 Hustons) I'm gonna go there tomorrow with my camera . Our
library has a huge local genealogy section , but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet .
The Sheriff came by the other day - our horse broke out of its fenced-in area and was walking down route 1 . so I've been busy fixen fences and stuff before the storm we're supposed to get Monday .
A scrap metal guy came by last weekend and I've been getting a pile ready for him (copper ,brass , aluminum) .......busy busy .
But I'm planing on donating the stick to the local Historical Society when I finish researching it ( I thank You all for pointing me in the right direction !)
Yes , txgirl , I wish the stick could talk.......kinda fun though when they don't

mojjax

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mojjax said:
Yes, I've talked to an old man in town - showed him the stick - he told me who he thinks the J. P. huston guy was . I also found a graveyard full of stones with Huston on them , there were so many ,and I was on my way to work , so I did not get to check them all out (over 50 Hustons) I'm gonna go there tomorrow with my camera . Our
library has a huge local genealogy section , but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet .
The Sheriff came by the other day - our horse broke out of its fenced-in area and was walking down route 1 . so I've been busy fixen fences and stuff before the storm we're supposed to get Monday .
A scrap metal guy came by last weekend and I've been getting a pile ready for him (copper ,brass , aluminum) .......busy busy .
But I'm planing on donating the stick to the local Historical Society when I finish researching it ( I thank You all for pointing me in the right direction !)
Yes , txgirl , I wish the stick could talk.......kinda fun though when they don't

mojjax
DON'T FORGET TO TAKE PICS WHEN YOU HAND IT OVER........MUST SEE MUST SEE

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

That was a fun post to help with! I'm sure glad we figured out some of the mystery... look forward to more stick people information with more stick-pics...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

mojjax said:

If any of the local papers or the Historical Society does a write up on it please post a link or a scan of the article. This stick has real, tangible history that can be connected to a lot of people. Not that I like bad things, but imagine if this stick was the only link to a day when a lot of people went up the mountain, and all but one came back. Shortly afterward they were all rich business owners and the politically conntected in town, but with a secret known only to them...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

mojjax said:

OK, Mojjax. Curiosity has the better of me again. Any new information on the stick? Thanks.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

MiddenMonster said:
mojjax said:

OK, Mojjax. Curiosity has the better of me again. Any new information on the stick? Thanks.

Good call MM! I really missed this post... news?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread