🏆 HONORABLE MENTION curious mountain stick ? THE FINAL CHAPTER !

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: curious mountain stick ?

mojjax said:
The local historical society has a meeting the first wednesday of every month( except Jan. and Feb.) so come March I plan to bring it in and see what they think about it . I'll gladly give it to them if they want it . I have a folder with a lot of the info you all have given me , thanks !

mojjax

Awesome... I know that will be pretty cool, I hope they take an interest!

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Wow I can't believe I missed this post!!!! Fantastic research everyone , congrats to a great find and superb teamwork to open up this mystery. It hits close to home ;D Thank you for posting your find.

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

mojjax said:
The local historical society has a meeting the first wednesday of every month( except Jan. and Feb.) so come March I plan to bring it in and see what they think about it . I'll gladly give it to them if they want it . I have a folder with a lot of the info you all have given me , thanks !

OK, sorry to be like a kid at Christmas but the first Wednesday has come and gone and I'm jonesing to find out what the story is. Any updates, Mojjax? We don't want another "neighbor's hidden cache" on our hands... ;D

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

To think that a stick could lead to a hotel and its owner, eventually to the following paragagh which I copied from:
http://www.mtwashington.com/hotelinformation/index.cfm-edit_id=38.htm

"1944 Foster Reynolds sells the Hotel and property to a Boston syndicate. As the new owners prepare to open for the season of 1944, the U.S. Government requests the use of the Hotel for an international gathering of financiers from 44 countries. The Hotel is extensively restored and modernized to host the now-famous Bretton Woods International Monetary Conference. The Conference organizes a World Bank and International Monetary Fund, sets the price of gold at $35 an ounce, and chooses the American dollar as the standard of international exchange."

An they think today's G8 Summit is a big deal? Interesting how events back then effect "us" as treasure hunters in whatever form we pursue our monetary, or historical interest.

F.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Thats cool .Ffunctional... good work! Maybe a MD'r could find coind from 44 countries lost in the area!

Okay mojjax... I'm with MiddenMonster - any news? :-\

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: curious mountain stick ? UPDATE !

I missed the meeting at the local historical scociety last month (I had the flu
bug- sore throat , sneezing ,coughing)
the next meeting is this wednesday 4/4 . Today I found a Mount Washington Forum , so I joined it and posted a link to TN (I couldn't get my pics to work there). So far 1 person responded :

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=842

mojjax

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

mojjax said:
I missed the meeting at the local historical scociety last month (I had the flu
bug- sore throat , sneezing ,coughing)
the next meeting is this wednesday 4/4 . Today I found a Mount Washington Forum , so I joined it and posted a link to TN (I couldn't get my pics to work there). So far 1 person responded :

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=842

mojjax

mojjax! That's pretty cool... looks like he kinda left it up to you to pursue, find relatives, etc...

If you choose to do so I'd love to hear how it turns out!

This was a fantastic and interesting whatsit and one of the best threads involving a lot of folks... thanks for sharing it!

Best of luck with the stick!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd be careful about who I gave the stick to as you don't want it to wind up in some dusty corner for another 100 years. Be sure to donate it to an entity that will display it in some manner like a museum. Better still you might want to retain ownership but "loan" it for display and preservation. Monty

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
I'd be careful about who I gave the stick to as you don't want it to wind up in some dusty corner for another 100 years. Be sure to donate it to an entity that will display it in some manner like a museum. Better still you might want to retain ownership but "loan" it for display and preservation. Monty
That's a good point Monty , when I take it to the HS on Wednesday , I'll ''show '' it to them , and get a 'feel' on how enthusiastic they are on it . I would hate for it to end up in a store room gathering dust . Maybe people from the Mount Washington Forum will be more enticed . I just want it to go where the most people would appreciate it .

mojjax

alabama

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2006

i have a couple of paddles left to me from relatives during that time period when they used them for very difficult runs. Everyone in the canoeing party would sign them and they would be dated with the name of the rapids section and when they ran that section. I believe what you have is a walking stick for one of a party of people that have hiked up Mt. Washington on that date.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

I have really enjoyed keeping up with this post also, as I am a walking stick maker, and being from Maine originally, I have driven by the site of that old hotel many times in the past. There would be some fantastic detecting opportunities up there, but I never once gave it a try. The mountains and lakes were the first big tourist spots before the beaches became the destination of choice. The transition began with the mass production of the automobile.

Thanks for this post! It has been fun!

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just to let ya'll know - the Historical Society meeting tonight was canceled - on account of snow . I guess it's that crazy Global Warming stuff ! Last year I was planting peas now !

mojjax

Attachments

• bml.gif
    bml.gif
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,501

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seems as though someone beat me to the punch, however, I found most of the names in the 1870 census, living in either Cumberland or Lincoln County in Maine.

Attachments

• Ester and Joel Huston 1870.jpg
    Ester and Joel Huston 1870.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2,375
  • Geo Gay 1870 Cumberland.jpg
    Geo Gay 1870 Cumberland.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,357
  • George and Emma 1880.jpg
    George and Emma 1880.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,336
  • Jessie Cate 1870 Lincoln.jpg
    Jessie Cate 1870 Lincoln.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,334
  • Lizzie Huston 1870 Cumberland.jpg
    Lizzie Huston 1870 Cumberland.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 2,329

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So, is there any further, find any living relatives, did you donate the stick? Monty

TEXMAN

Apr 11, 2007
Arlington,Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di

Excellent researching folks!!!

Just think if Al Gore had not invented the internet,would have taken much longer.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Now don't give Al Gore too much grief. In the style of Bill Clinton, it depends on what the definition of "Invent" is. Al Gore was responsible for providing the funding to set up and demonstrate the use of existing connections between computers at major research institutions as a way of communicating and transmitting data. This project that he provided funding for is what turned into what we now know as the internet. If he had not "seen the possibilities of this new networking" and sponsored the legislation and provided the resources to get the project going, the internet as we know it would have not come into existence when it did.

So did he personally invent it? No. Did he cause it to come into existence when and how it did? Yes.

Just some internet trivia.

Daryl

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

BioProfessor said:
Now don't give Al Gore too much grief. In the style of Bill Clinton, it depends on what the definition of "Invent" is. Al Gore was responsible for providing the funding to set up and demonstrate the use of existing connections between computers at major research institutions as a way of communicating and transmitting data. This project that he provided funding for is what turned into what we now know as the internet. If he had not "seen the possibilities of this new networking" and sponsored the legislation and provided the resources to get the project going, the internet as we know it would have not come into existence when it did.

So did he personally invent it? No. Did he cause it to come into existence when and how it did? Yes.

Just some internet trivia.

Daryl

Party Pooper... lol :D While you are right... I think I'm still gonna give grief.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

No problem. I take it as well as I give it.

The thing I worry about and the reason I took the time to post was that if too many people think Al Gore's thinking and positions are like the reference to his "inventing" the internet, he won't be taken seriously for his efforts to bring global warming to the forefront of today's major problems.

Sorry the post was so far off topic but it is something I see as worth my time and effort and I see the need for grief.

Now if we want to pick on good ole Al. He is fat.

Daryl

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

BioProfessor said:
... he won't be taken seriously for his efforts to bring global warming to the forefront of today's major problems.

Daryl

I know, and even though I respectfully disagree... this is a politics or rants topic and has been heavily discussed there. Though I dont post in politics and only sometimes in rants, I can assure you a healthy and vigorous reply to your belief in Global Warming should you post there!

I will now return to the topic...

The Mojjax Mountain Stick has been one of my favorite posts here on TrasureNet... Like Monty I look forward to seeing what comes next!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread