Hitting the Illinois tropics
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    62 times

Hitting the Illinois tropics

Oh yeah those torrents yesterday made a difference today! Did a walk through of an area today, looking for signs of some suspected early usage. Found a few, among them D-Dub and I each got minie balls. His obviously imapcted much greater than the one I found, they were about 10 yards apart too. Mine has a seriously blown skirt, indicating possible over-charging. Both appear to be .58 caliber bullets. They both have two cannilures and I think that is at odds with military prescribed rounds of the day, which had the three rings. Found a few newer ones also. Dan got what maybe a piece of triple-0 buckshot as well.

One thing I like about the site is an almost total lack of 20 century trash, truly quiet ground, if not for the numerous glacial drift bringing in iron-range debris and leaving hot rocks in abundance. Still processing a shot of one of the erratics Dan thought might have been used as an ancient trail marker. Might briefly post that one later.

Jon, sweet old axe head and wedge! There was woodmen there back in the day! Now I may get to narrow down that search pattern a bit....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Charter Member

Feb 2007
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Whites V3 and XLT
    961 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)

Re: Hitting the Illinois tropics

Tim, cool lead You have a nice site there. . . any float copper?

michigan michael

WTG!

us
    Apr 2009
    Chicago, Il
    Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II

Here are the pictures of the ancient trail marker. The pictures don't show the exact "shape" of the trail marker. It was "hard" to get a good reference angle that would truly show the "girth" of this trail marker. I will leave it to your imagination to see the marker for what it is. We came to our own conclusion as to its meaning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	307173

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	307174

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    62 times

Didn't see that rock from the right perspective through the lens, Dan....

Mark, nope, don't think any float copper survived the trip down in the ice. But I do think it would be a natural place to look for geodes along the creek beds though I didn't have my rock eyes on. Some of the rocks did bell tone on me (overload signals) so they did have high content. But the place is very instructive for the md'er who wants to learn the difference between all those "iron" signals and the presence of actual iron objects.

Mar 2008
    Chicago IL
    Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
    90 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great finds bud, that one with the skirt looks like it was pulled. Is there a hole on the tip of the bullet? It could of been pulled then just mutilated for fun as a means to pass the time.
    Come check out my MD'ing videos:
    http://youtube.com/user/TreasureFiend

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    62 times

Nope, no hole in it Kermit. Solid tissue-style impact point on the tip. Sometimes if you overcharged the round it would blow the skirt on one side or at multiple sides.

The one Dan found is so blown on the front it looks like it hit a rock as soon as it left the muzzle.

us
    Apr 2008
    Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
    E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
    23 times

I think that marker was placed by the ancient Foongai tribe.

Of course when the Anglos settled in the area, they altered the name to fun-guy....

Name:	fun-guy.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	307673
    God bless our veterans! Thank you for your sacrifices!

Charter Member
    Bryce-IL

Aug 2007
    Wherever Silver's Hidin'
    Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
    1063 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Very cool finds.
    My field test of the Sunray X-5 coil is published in the May 2010 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My field test of the Sunray X-12 Coil is published in the June 2010 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My field test of the Coiltek 5x7 Coil is published in the July 2012 Issue of Western & Eastern Treasures.

My "Deep Coin" Explorer settings, and finds are published in Andy Sabisch's Minelab Explorer & E-Trac Handbook.

Here's the story of my BEST FIND EVERhttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/be...find-ever.html

Sponsored Links