Where can I MD in Kentucky (somerset)

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
I got my first medal detector in the mail today and thought I would stop by the local police station to ask about the parks, schools and lake area. You would have thought I just confessed to hiding a body or two. Holy cow! So my question is.......where is everyone else going in the KY area? I have been looking for farms that will let me but to no avail. What about state parks?

IanJen

K

Kentucky Kache

Old farm houses are best, just keep stopping and asking.
I'm only a county away from you, maybe we can get together for a hunt.

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
You name the time and place. Im lucky enough that my Fiancee supports this hobby directly. I was going to save the money and not buy a detector for awhile and she jumped online and bought it for us. How cool is that. Now I am not sure if we need another one for me or her.

Ian

K

Kentucky Kache

I've heard of an old plantation house below Burnside that we could check out.
I've never been to it, so we would have to find the owners and get permission.

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Sounds good. Also we found a early abandon school house thats for sale. Circa 1920. Im calling the realtor and see if they will let me trade mowing the from of it in exchange for detecting on the property. It would take about 2 hours but this place has been used to death up until about 5 years ago. Its in Nancy just down the road from the battlefield.

Ian

K

Kentucky Kache

Sounds like a winner. I'm in Casey County, so Nancy is between us.

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Do you have a site to look up old maps? The reason I ask is we have 1353 acers in Jabez but I dont think anything was ever out there. I think there was an old barn and maybe we could find one house site in this 100 Acer parcel but its all gone now. Only thing I see is the foundation of the barn and a couple of old poles for electric. No foundations though. I think it was an old tabacco barn. I just dont know if its worth it unless it was a meteorite hunt.

We are over in Somerset.

Ian

K

Kentucky Kache

ianjen said:
Do you have a site to look up old maps? The reason I ask is we have 1353 acers in Jabez but I dont think anything was ever out there. I think there was an old barn and maybe we could find one house site in this 100 Acer parcel but its all gone now. Only thing I see is the foundation of the barn and a couple of old poles for electric. No foundations though. I think it was an old tabacco barn. I just dont know if its worth it unless it was a meteorite hunt.

We are over in Somerset.

Ian

Sounds like some good possibilities. If Paul's discount is still there, he use to have some old topo maps. Also you can find old Somerset maps on Ebay.
I'll see if I can find a good website.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ianjen said:

We are over in Somerset.

Ian
Sanborn maps-http://sanborn.umi.com/cgi-bin/auth.cgi?command=ShowLogin
username-residence
password-welcome

OP
OP
surfin

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
Jbot,
Ok I have found a farmer who will let hit his land if you want to get in. 2 old farm houses on it and one log home that was removed off the property several years ago. One catch, unless you own a large 4 wheel drive we wont make it across the creek. I drove down to see if my blazer would make it and that was a no go. I hit and old farm house sat, but only ended up with about .13 cents worth of recyclable steel. The farmer that owned that place said he found a yankee belt buckle there sticking out of the mud once.

Ian

K

Kentucky Kache

Sounds good. Is there a place to cross on foot, without having to walk a hundred miles?

wannabeafinder

Apr 5, 2007
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white xlt
don't go on state land or federal--they can even take your detector and will--falls got really mean with a friend but I would love to search that old beach--the drained lake area is a no no they threathened to arrest some--can't understand it--I am a county away--sounds like a good site if it is near a battlefield --good luck

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
kindafoundabuckle said:
I hope you guys can get together and make some great finds. Wishing you luck.....

KFB
kindafoundabuckle said:
First place I would try would be the ground. Just a thought. Im no pro but have been around the block a time or two ;D

KFB
Your too funny KFB,I'l punch him for you IanJen. ;D

roundhat

Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
ky state parks are off limits. state govt. is funny about detectors. check any of the websites for the parks in the rules and regs... besides,i used to be a ksp trooper .. ky courts don't mess around too much.

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
Hey guys I'm right next door to ya here in Russell County! Let's get together and make a big hunting trip out of this I know a few old farm houses and old schools too. If your interested just give me a holler and we will be off hunting in no time at all. Also I have a 4WD pick up if we need one....!!!!!!!! Anyone intersted holler at me when you want to go, I can haul up to 2 other persons and equipment for the trip....

DIRTQUEEN

Greenie
Feb 27, 2008
Hi All,

Roundhat I am so glad that you mentioned not to hunt in a state park. That is a helpful tip that i did not know. That was one of the first places i was going to hit with my new detector. I am in Jefferson co. If anyone knows of any good spots, let me know. I would love to hunt the old Waverly Hospital area. Thanks all

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
Hey there cache crazy you said that Nancy,Ky was between you two
what county are you residing in? I'm in Russell County we should all get together before the snow starts a falling and get some last minute hunting in. I'm [email protected] or just reply or holller at me whatever I've been MD'ng for a little over a year now so I know a little abbout some places here we could go or maybe you do. anyway just get back to me...

Thanks,

Pennybirddog76

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread