OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
S.D. - yes, triangles and squares seem to be the most common. But i believe crosses and diamond shapes have been found as well. They create a layout you will find in the treasure yard. It depends on where you find them on the trail, size, and what is in the vicinity. So you need to know where you are at on the trail to help determine the meaning.
LOOT - most of these are man made. The hash with drill hole rock will give you a compass degree and measurement to next symbol. The three drill holes that make the skull also has a pointer, get that compass line. The picture in between them, also has a pointer, get that line too. Then put it on paper and analyze what you have.

Thanks tinhorn, I will do that next time I am there. I have read some things about Indian grinding holes. Since, this area was Indian Territory at one point, are there any ways to distinguish a shallow drill hole from an Indian grinding hole?

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
Loot - Most Native American holes in this area are shallow and large. 5-10 inches. They also used wood stumps a lot. You have confirmation symbols with your holes, so I would work them as jesuit and kgc. It will get bumpy b/c the signs will overlap. Take your time and enjoy it! Also shadow and light will reveal more, and cost you more time in the field...but will be worth it.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinhorn and others in sitting here this morning with a strong cup of coffee and my big old pipe going nicely. I am thinking of the movie Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Where Indiana places the staff in a hole and the sun shows the spot to dig. Maybe a walking stick when put in one of the holes to sight to the next place.

Now if memory serves me right most walking sticks are 4 and a half feet high. Put a eye bolt in the top of one and you would have,a crude surveyor transit. Even if there were three or more holes they could be triangulated to the next spot or the cache itself. Just one more idea. And now back to the first cup of the day.

Senior Deacon

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
I have used a staff on several occasions. In one deep drill hole, i placed the staff in it and it pointed to a specific bluff on a mountain top. On top of that bluff were all the corner marker signs, initials, drill hole maps, everything you needed to navigate the square league that dsty talks about. I haven't tried to use one like a sun dial, with shadow signs, but i definitely wouldn't rule it out.

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used a staff on several occasions. In one deep drill hole, i placed the staff in it and it pointed to a specific bluff on a mountain top. On top of that bluff were all the corner marker signs, initials, drill hole maps, everything you needed to navigate the square league that dsty talks about. I haven't tried to use one like a sun dial, with shadow signs, but i definitely wouldn't rule it out.

I do have a rock with initials and drillholes. If it is a square league, how do I determine where I am in the square league?

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
Find the other corners. Sometimes you can do it on google earth... or you may find a road, house or building where one is supposed to be, but if you can find two corners you will have your bearings. In this area, there will be directional stones, showing the compass line every 1/4 mile or so.

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
Find the other corners. Sometimes you can do it on google earth... or you may find a road, house or building where one is supposed to be, but if you can find two corners you will have your bearings. In this area, there will be directional stones, showing the compass line every 1/4 mile or so.

I'm looking for ways to possibly narrow the search. Would higher elevation be a more likely place for a marker?

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loot looks like you found one corner. If it were me I would get a Topo Map and lay out a grid of X leagues. Using the drill holes as a compass heading. Think you are closer to the end than you know. I have spent time driving in the ouchita mountains in Oklahoma and the lower Ozark mountains in Arkansas. Tough country no wonder the outlaws used this area as a safe haven. But that they didn't go very far to hide their treasure. Most is straight up and down. Woody, Rocky, looks more like the highlands of Scotland. There is legends of Bigfoot, ghost, and other monsters in those mountains. We haven't even started to talk about snakes ,insects, and poisonous plants. That's why I think you are closer than you think.

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It was "popular" for Albert Pike (CSA/Scottish Rite Jurisdiction), too.

Last edited:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a treasure tale In and around Albert Pike's cabin in the recreation area. Whether this is K.G.C. or Masonic treasure I have yet to get the true story. In Pike's younger years he spent years in that part of the state of Arkansas. He was looked at for a while as a mountain man. He trekked across Arkansas, Texas, and New Mexico to Santa Fe before becoming a lawyer and newspaper man in Little Rock. Good Stuff!!!!!

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, I read that when the Feds were "closing in", he got in his horse & buggy, with a few things... and got outta there!

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Story I heard from two sources was a dish pan full of gold coins. He and a colored hired man got out before the federal troops/skalywags got to the cabin minutes not hours. Basically escaped with his life, papers and library and ?. At this point he was out of the confederate army had retreated to the hills to work on the SR ritual. Would have loved to have seen a index of his library. He at the time had the second largest Masonic library in the United States. The biggest was in Iowa City,Iowa with Theodore Parvin his big buddy. Bet he was armed to the teeth and retreated to a southern sympathizer home.

Senior Deacon

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
I took some measurements of the drill holes. I am hoping someone can give me some insight on direction and distance.
The dimensions of the drill hole on the turtle is 8" diameter and 3" or 4" depth (depends on where you measure from for depth). The turtle head is pointing 180* south and the eye is pointing 90* east.

This is the layout and dimensions of the 3 drill holes in the rock: (in the picture the yellow lines are pointing down at the drillholes)
1. 1st drill hole is 2" in diameter and 8" deep. The height of the rock is 36".
2. 2nd drill hole is 2" in diameter and 6" deep. The 2nd drill hole is 53" from the 1st drill hole at 360* north. The height of the rock is 24".
3. 3rd drill hole is 2" in diameter and 4" deep. The 3rd drill hole is 27" from the 2nd drill hole at 10* NNE. The height of the rock is 18".

The drill holes are approximately 50' north of the turtle, and the turtle is approximately 50' north of the carvings. They are in a straight line. I did notice a slight difference in the carvings from what I originally posted. At the bottom of the carvings it appears to be an H H D and a F attached to the bottom of the second H. I have attached a picture of this correction also.

As always, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

TURTLE.JPG

TURTLE EYE2.jpg

TURTLE EYE4.jpg

Drill Holes Direction2.jpg

DRILL HOLE 2 DIAMETER2.jpg

HHD3.jpg

Drill Holes Drawing.jpg

LAYOUT.jpg

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loot I have a couple of ideas. Please be a little patient with me. Last of summer canning wrapping up and getting the garden ready for winter planting. Plate is a little full but I am Thinking. Other projects I am working on also.

The D isn't a D but the rough outline of a pointer. That just a thought. Keep a sharp eye.

Senior Deacon

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
Loot I have a couple of ideas. Please be a little patient with me. Last of summer canning wrapping up and getting the garden ready for winter planting. Plate is a little full but I am Thinking. Other projects I am working on also.

The D isn't a D but the rough outline of a pointer. That just a thought. Keep a sharp eye.

Senior Deacon

Deacon, that is an interesting idea. I didn't think of that. It is an oddly shaped D.
Here is a picture of the carvings without the yellow line. thanks for the tip.

HHD4.jpg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
We know that a FULL MOON indicate "treasure" is in that "area"; "Half-a-MOON" means you are half way there...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread