Barry Storms Mr. X
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree380Likes

Thread: Barry Storms Mr. X

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2018
    122 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Barry Storm's Mr. X

In Barry Storm's book "Thunder god's Gold" He says while he was trying to locate the LDM that someone that left small footprints followed him and even tried to shoot him. Barry said Adolph Ruth had small feet but his shoes were never found. Barry felt this "Mr. X" killed Adolph Ruth and was wearing his shoes.
    Later in the book Barry indicated someone had been arrested but gave no details.
    For those of you who know a lot more about this than I do, can you give more information on this subject.
    While I am at it, what is your opinion of "Thunder god's Gold" ?
    PotBelly Jim and Idahodutch like this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    3155 times
    Cache Hunting
    Barry Storm (not his real name) was a story teller
    When you canít find what your looking for, your looking in the wrong place. Time for another drink

us
    Dec 2008
    7706 times
    his initials are B.S. that should explain it all...lol

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3200 times
    LDM
    Steamboat,
    I remember something about that, and it wouldnít surprise me if it is based on actual events.... lots of stories of folks feeling like being watched or followed.
    Those mountains used to be a lot more remote.
    Seeing fresh footprints ...... especially if seemingly connected to strang late night sounds, can get the best of us going

Even now, with so much recreational hiking and such, it is still troubling to have unexplained footprints appearing in a way that seems suspicious.

Good question.... could be someone was watching though

us
    Apr 2013
    Huntington Beach California
    4014 times
    Barry Storm, John Clymenson, did not come to Arizona until January 5, 1937, six years after the Adolph Ruth death. He worked in Phoenix at odd jobs and as a reporter. Storm lived in South Phoenix when he met Barry Goldwater. The two went in the Superstitions together and in 1939 Storm published his first book, Trail of the Lost Dutchman with Goldwaters photos and financing. In April of 1942 Storm leased all of Abe Reid's mining claims in Gila County. . Two months later he filed claim on a copper deposit near Four Peaks. In 1943 he enlisted in the military during WWII. In 1945 he wrote his famous book, Thunder Gods Gold.

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2380 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I know Bill Barkley had his own issues to deal with and he's probably not the most reliable source, but didn't he claim he saw Barry Storm making some of those markings on Black Top Mesa? I enjoyed "Thunder God's Gold" as a story, but felt an awful lot of embelishment in it
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

us
    Dec 2017
    2283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    I know Bill Barkley had his own issues to deal with and he's probably not the most reliable source, but didn't he claim he saw Barry Storm making some of those markings on Black Top Mesa? I enjoyed "Thunder God's Gold" as a story, but felt an awful lot of embelishment in it
    Just my opinion, but it seems to me that all those guys distrusted each other, backstabbed, told lies about each other...but I remember Tom K. thought Storm was overly paranoid, and that kinda makes sense reading the passages about Mr. Smallfoot sneaking about at night and taking potshots in Storm's direction. We've all been shot at and it does happen, but I think you're spot-on re: "Embellishment".

I have no doubt that Brownie and Bill Barkley were "keeping tabs" on what was going on out there, if for no other reason to look after Tex and Bill's financial interest (cattle). Even today, cattlemen know what's going on all over their range as it doesn't take more than the loss of a few cows to ruin your life. At any rate, it's pretty obvious Storm is talking about Brownie as "Mr. X".

I also remembered something about Brownie knowing Storm was alluding to him re: Mr. X/Smallfoot. I did a quick search over on the other channel and saw that Greg had posted it back in 2006. Greg had asked Brownie about it in an interview, and Brownie had said there was no love lost between them and that Storm was (paraphrasing) engaging in a little character assassination against him.

It's nothing more than early Dutch Hunter drama, IMHO...seems some things never change

PS: I had never seen Brownie in person and never realized how small and wiry he was...I was looking for this pic earlier and here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinedo and Brownie.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1901582

This is from when the Italian plane sunk in Lake Roosevelt.
    Last edited by PotBelly Jim; Feb 11, 2021 at 09:13 PM.

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1375 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    Well if Barry found them as he said. Bill would have still claimed Barry made them. It’s know different then claiming Travis made his Maps.

Theirs always a reason for Madness

babymick1

us
    Dec 2017
    2283 times
    Mick, you're absolutely right: Bill Barkley DID see Storm carving something on BTM (He did, just maybe not what you might think) and Travis did make those stone maps.
    wrmickel1 and Steamboat like this.

us
    Dec 2008
    7706 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmickel1 View Post
    Well if Barry found them as he said. Bill would have still claimed Barry made them. It’s know different then claiming Travis made his Maps.

babymick1
    mick...my old buddy carrol ingle knew barry ..he said he was full of doo=doo...he said barney bernard was in the same category
    alan m likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    7706 times

babymick1
    p.s. travis carved the stone maps that are in the museum ..everyone around here knows that to be true
    Injunbro likes this.

us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1375 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Quote Originally Posted by azdave35 View Post
    p.s. travis carved the stone maps that are in the museum ..everyone around here knows that to be true
    Yeah that’s the Story I keep hearing but not one shred of evidence posted ever to prove it. All that common knowledge around there just going to waste.

babymick1
    coazon de oro likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    7706 times
    Yeah that’s the Story I keep hearing but not one shred of evidence posted ever to prove it. All that common knowledge around there just going to waste.

babymick1
    mick..i stand corrected...those stone maps aren't completely worthless....they are obviously good for finding some things...like gold painted 2x4's...and gold painted brass nuggets
    dredgernaut and Injunbro like this.

us
    Apr 2013
    Huntington Beach California
    4014 times
    When Barry Storm was promoting his first books he took some people out to a camp west of Weavers Needle. At night around the campfire he told the group they were sitting on the very spot where Waltz once had his camp. Then Storm proceeded to stir a stick around in the dirt while he was talking and suddenly stopped. Reaching down he picked something out of the dirt and said,...well look at this. And in his hand was a German coin with the date 1870 on it. His friends of course were duly awe struck and all became Barry Storm fans and avid Dutchman believers.

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2380 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Roberts View Post
    When Barry Storm was promoting his first books he took some people out to a camp west of Weavers Needle. At night around the campfire he told the group they were sitting on the very spot where Waltz once had his camp. Then Storm proceeded to stir a stick around in the dirt while he was talking and suddenly stopped. Reaching down he picked something out of the dirt and said,...well look at this. And in his hand was a German coin with the date 1870 on it. His friends of course were duly awe struck and all became Barry Storm fans and avid Dutchman believers.
    I guess if you want to believe bad enough, you'll believe anything :P
    alan m likes this.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links