Gold hunting abandoned mines (BC and AB)

S

skidooforever

Has anyone tried searching old abandoned mines (with proper equipment)

I was thinking of finding some, verifying the internal safety/structure, and exploring a short ways in from the entrance.

Anyone know of any sites, or anyone want to join me (and a friend) in Western Canada?

Need at least one or two people for the buddy sytem. Have all gear that we would need. (Hard hats/lights/safety line)

Any feedback welcome

From Jason

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jason,

I haven't really done a lot of exploring in old mines. Just a bit, and only in ones that were solid rock tunnels, and then not too far in. Too many possibilities of unseen workings or unstable faults. If you go, please get someone that really knows the business, like a retired hardrock miner. It's much safer nugget hunting out in the open, or sniping some bedrock on a known gold producing river. The oldtimers always left some.

All the best,

Lanny

F

Fireball

Hi,

There is an older book called BC Gold Mines and Ghost Towns, actually I think it might be 2 books, one on Ghost towns, the other on old mines. I have the names and publisher written down somewhere, I'll pass them alon if I can find them.

Fireball

R

RMT

Hey Jason
My wife and I may be interested in helping you out. We probably wont go into the mines but wait on the outside with safety equipment ect. We live in Cranbrook B.C. and are newbe hobby prospecters with some good equipment for placer gold. There are alot of old mines/placer rivers here(we have found 2 old mines but they dont look very safe) If you like you can email me at [email protected] or we can chat more here.

M

mattjd

Hi skidoo. Even if you have the proper safety equiptment It Won't Stop The Ceiling From Colapsing In On You! Just so ya know. Matt

A

amxgerry

hi jason

there is a couple of hardrock tunnels near my placer claim and one just above my boundarys is supposed to be safe to go into, but so far i havent entered as i am afraid of the dark.. lol (a geologist we know went in there last summer and he chisseled out a couple of grams in a afternoon.)

there is a hardrock company doing geochemical testing all around us, and it is a famous area.?

its a bit of a hike thru a canyon to get too, or a small 4x4 or atv can make it up a old dozer trail if its dry out and then a 10 minute hike.. theres another right on my claim about 25 feet up an allmost cliff with the ore tracks still in place but the entrance is either sloughed in and closed, or it was blasted shut. not sure what it would take to open it up, but i can guarantee no-one has been in there for years. we found an old ore car wheel first and then found the entrance late last summer.
(actually my buddy jim found it)

it is allso shown on the amos bowman maps and reports that were done in late 1880, or so.

there is a lot of old placer workings just below and up thru the canyon towards the upper tunnel.

my friend jim from edmonton, just aquired the full set of bowman maps and they show many old hardrock drifts and shafts in our area about 10 km from wells and barkerville and we are 1 km from the old ghost town of "stanley"

according to old mining reports there was free gold visible in the quartz in 1860,s or so, at both locations and there is allso a shaft going straight down but filled with water.

we will be up there most of july and my wife and i go up there off and on from june to september if you care to stop in. there is room for a travel trailer etc, in our camp area, but the bugs can be bad at times, and it rains an awfull lot up there

there is a lot of other addits and shafts within 10 km or so , but so far we havent searched them out, but jim and i both got new whites gmt detectors this winter so we are planning on searching some of the tailings.. jim may want to enter some of them with you but i will stay out in the open and shout out words of encouragement.lol...

we live in prince george, and welcome visitors at the claim,(as long as you agree to abide by all rules and regulations) and we allso have a wash plant, small excavator etc that we fool around with but so far no finds to write home about.

email me at [email protected] or post here if you like. i work out of town lots, so i may be slow to reply.

where are you located?

regards gerry

marjo

Oct 10, 2006
I"m in Ontario and I don't have the smallest clue where to go to look for gold
I have a tesoro lobo and want to try it out some place where gold might actually may exist
Does any of you guys know if there are any list of abandoned mines in Ontario, Southwest that is
I'm close to both lake Ontario and Erie any gold down here

Lmar2052

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested

Has anyone tried searching old abandoned mines (with proper equipment)

I was thinking of finding some, verifying the internal safety/structure, and exploring a short ways in from the entrance.

Anyone know of any sites, or anyone want to join me (and a friend) in Western Canada?

Need at least one or two people for the buddy sytem. Have all gear that we would need. (Hard hats/lights/safety line)

Any feedback welcome

From Jason

If I get time this summer I would go, but I want to go out for a year and posibaly build a little camp. I grew up in the mountains and am very I tersted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread