Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally yes, as long as you don't do it in the nude. Check with city hall before doing it to be sure it is permissible , if a permit is needed , etc. JIM

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I sent an email to the park commission in my town to ask and they said no Metal Detecting allowed in Metro Parks.

But that is ok....right of way along streets are not "Metro parks". ;D

And I have several locations I want to hit someday when I get a detector...

Z

ZumbroKid

I find there are as many answers for this as there are ones to ask. To insure that one does not get a ticket while hunting a park, at least lower the chances of getting one. Have that loving wife or girlfriend or even that special person of your choice! ::) Come along and sob like mad as you search for their missing heirloom. The police would realize you're a nice guy, you might even make the paper for you act of kindness! Remember to think outside the box!

Andee

Sep 12, 2005
Clarence, NY
In my area, no. Unfortunately, MD'ing is not allowed at the Buffalo parks. I tried it once (Delaware Park, which is very old) and I was stopped, saying I was "Tearing up the lawn" (Not true, mista). I'm not sure if it's because of some other messy "TH'ers" or if it's because the place is sworming with people every weekend. Either way, I was pretty pissed off.? But, Luckilly, it is allowed at our Clarence parks and schools.

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
I contacted the director of parks in Atlanta and he told me it was illegal here, however... after reading the rules and the city code. There is no mention of MD. There is a broadly interpreted "no damage to lawns, or infrastructure etc." So, in my reading it would be ok to MD as long as you are not in the grassy areas. Along the banks of a creek, in the dirt areas, playground's with dirt or sand...I don't see what they can say as long as you are not digging in the grass. I would, if it were me, print out and carry a copy of the code with the pertinate sections highlighted, carry a bag with a fair ammount of trash so you will be seen as helping. I do pick up trash but in this case I would carry some with me for show as well as picking up what I find...BTW, stay off the grass and I just don't see where there could be a problem as long as the officer isn't a dumb prick and in Atlanta, as sad as it is, if you're white you ain't gonna get much of a break from the brotha. So if you're here be careful. Someone else suggested going hunting at dawn on Sunday AM while the supervisors are all off duty.

HTH,

Julien

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andee said:
In my area, no. Unfortunately, MD'ing is not allowed at the Buffalo parks. I tried it once (Delaware Park, which is very old) and I was stopped, saying I was "Tearing up the lawn" (Not true, mista). I'm not sure if it's because of some other messy "TH'ers" or if it's because the place is sworming with people every weekend. Either way, I was pretty pissed off. But, Luckilly, it is allowed at our Clarence parks and schools.

Well that sucks, Andee i live i north tonawanda, just north of buffalo. guess that anwsers my quetion of hunting buffalo parks. just have to stick around here and hunt the old school grounds.

OP
OP
S

shm477

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2005
I would like to thank all for the replies. As I thought no one at city hall wants to give a definate answer. most were afraid of lawn damage. I guess a few yrs ago, they had problems with some people not filling in the holes. But I am allowed to surface hunt ( that sucks). However, when the donut shoppe opens, ther's no one to see. Ha,Ha. thanks again, shm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread