MDing SHOULD be banned in all city, state, and federal parks!

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I have to agree with the no's. MDing should be banned in parks. I visited a park in West Branch last week and found many holes left open that a MDer made. The park in Bay City, where I found a 1882 Indian Head the other day, also had similar holes in it today that were not filled. Someone must have seen me MDing, there, the other day and went home and pulled out the Walmart special because the holes in that park were around the trees that I had already hit and all I left was pulltabs and twist tops. I think it is time to ban MDing in the parks and perhaps have a federal license to detect where one has to pass a course like hunting. Those that kill a deer out of season (leave a hole unfilled) get a $1,000 fine and lose their license to detect permanently. There is nothing worse than to have my tax dollar spent on a nice lawn and gardens only to have some idiot destroy it over a penny!

Upvote 0

haylen

Feb 14, 2007
Give the goverment more power come on. Every time we turn around there is some new law. This is the land of the free not the land of lets pay and answer to big brother. All it would do is make it harder for the ones who care and no change for those who could care less. But I do think it is a shame that the lack of pride and respect people have for our parks and state property :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild Boulder Bill said:
I agree with you thrillathahunt. Just starting a ruckus.

Wild Boulder

I'll bet he did. He also said I was full of BS. I know that but he was rude to say so. :laughing7:

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
So if a bunch of teenage boys dip over the trash cans at a city park we should also ban teenage boys from parks too.
Same logic.

andrew96

Feb 7, 2010
I disagree, you can say this about anyone, hikers,fisherman,hunters, they litter(some of them), people of all kinds do all sorts of bad in parks. I fish at night, and I have come across groups of drunks just wandering around, surly leaving trash.

Boester

Feb 20, 2010
summerset nj
now, the holes were most likely made by squirrels, and a fellow m/dist who points out an others faults, and himself, does not carry out, instead of leave the trash he uncovers just doesent make sense. laws, tests i don't think so.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizonaames said:
I have to agree with the no's. MDing should be banned in parks. I visited a park in West Branch last week and found many holes left open that a MDer made. The park in Bay City, where I found a 1882 Indian Head the other day, also had similar holes in it today that were not filled. Someone must have seen me MDing, there, the other day and went home and pulled out the Walmart special because the holes in that park were around the trees that I had already hit and all I left was pulltabs and twist tops. I think it is time to ban MDing in the parks and perhaps have a federal license to detect where one has to pass a course like hunting. Those that kill a deer out of season (leave a hole unfilled) get a $1,000 fine and lose their license to detect permanently. There is nothing worse than to have my tax dollar spent on a nice lawn and gardens only to have some idiot destroy it over a penny!

Yea, the same thing happened to me but he was using a garage sale special MXT in one hand and a Goldmaster in the other.

I gave him a severe tongue lashing. :wink:

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about your local park. Maybe the next time you see an MDr out there you call the cops if he leaves holes. Catch him doing it on video.

If we start banning activities that make the world unsightly, sitting and doing nothing would become the national pastime. Simply banning an activity based on a few bad seeds does NOT make the world a better place. Instead, it makes the world a more hostile place when the majority of participators are cut off because of a few dimwhits.

The powers that be have limited time in life to deal with the problems thrown it's way. The easiest way to deal with those problems is to put a ban on something instead of dealing with it any further. Or, deal with them yourself.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, he likes to start trouble. He always finds ways to attack me on some of the posts I make too.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinshooter said:
Please blast this out to as many as you can. We have been picketing in front of NYC Parks and now need to follow up with another call campaign as we did earlier this year. Please see the attached doc file. I also copied and pasted it below. The link showing video news coverage of our demonstration is in the "call to arms" notice.

Thanks,

Carter Pennington
TFMDR

A CALL TO ARMS Phone & Email Campaign Commencing Monday November 30th, 2009

If you own a metal detector or know anyone who does, your voice needs to be heard.

TO: Fellow Enthusiasts who enjoy the lawful hobby of recreational metal detecting,

As many of you know, what has been happening around the country is also happening in New York City. We have been in a battle with NYC Parks for over a year and half regarding their discriminatory decision to either deny or limit access to NYC Parks for those of us who enjoy the lawful hobby of recreational metal detecting.

Earlier this month we held a demonstration in NYC on 5th Avenue in front of the Parks Department located in Central Park. The event was covered by local media; please click on this link to view some of the demonstration http://bit.ly/dnadetectors We know it is difficult for many of you to attend such demonstrations but now is your chance to help fight discrimination against our hobby by taking a few minutes a day next week and voice your concern. Your voice does make a huge difference!

WHAT TO DO NEXT?
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->

Starting Monday November 30th, 2009 and continuing ALL WEEK through Friday December 4th, 2009, Call / email each of the people listed below and let them know:

- You are not happy with being discriminated against as a group.

- You want to enjoy your hobby the same as any other group and that metal detecting is a lawful hobby that should not be restricted.

- Demand that NYC Department of Parks and Recreation repeal rule #1-04b5 prohibiting the use of metal detectors.

We must all band together to ensure our right to enjoy the lawful hobby of recreational metal detecting on public use land.

Thank you,

The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights

Call (212) 639 9675 to file a complaint with Mayor Bloomberg’s office against the NYC Parks Department. Calling this number will ensure you receive a response because it is a designated non-emergency complaint line. Let Bloomberg know his Parks Department policies will influence your decision on whether or not you will be visiting NY. You can also email the Mayor’s office directly at [email protected]

Call (212) 360 1381 or (212) 360-8111 to voice your concerns to NYC Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe. You can also email him directly at [email protected]

Call (718) 965-8954 to voice your concern to the Prospect Park Alliance spokesperson Eugene Patron or email him directly at [email protected]

Call (718) 965-8951 to voice your concern directly to Tupper Thomas, the Prospect Park Administrator and President of the privately funded Prospect Park Administration. You can also email her directly at [email protected]

What??? If anthing they added parks and beaches for us to detect this year. I walked into the Arsanal and got my permit in person. Didnt cost me a cent. Granted we cant hunt parks like Central. If you could imagine what it would look like after a week of detectorest who dont know what there doing out there.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Central park will never see a metal detector. If you look at what happened to Prospect and Owls Head park you would know this. Detectorest were out there with shovels and pick axes digging around the trees leaving craters. I saw the damage myself. The city "all 5 boroughs" has plenty of land and beaches to detect. Some parks are 3 times the size of central.

Sorry to vent
EZ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread