Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: I'm going to hawaii!

If'n I see you I'll be in no condition to drive.

I've always wanted to detect those beaches.

Take lots of pictures and keep copious notes ;D

HH

Kirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005

Just got back from spending 6 days at the Mauna Kea and Hapuna beach. Found about $10 in clad, 3 religious medalions, one silver chain and tons of bottle caps and 3 room keys. Lots of luck.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Over on Molokai, in a small cove, I found a series of Handmade Brass :o Ship's Spikes!
'bout, 4-5 inches long!

OP
OP
G

Guthers

hey Kirk! I was on Hapuna beach several times during my stay and I ran into a gentleman hunting with a DFX, as I was! Was that you? If so, pleased to meet you!

You found three medallions? That must have been fun. On the whole I have to say I was a little disappointed by my haul. Maybe I had delusions of grandeur, being that I was on Hawaii beaches next to opulent resorts -- I think I expected to find a diamond ring every few feet.

On the other hand, I did find some pretty neat stuff. On Hapuna beach I found a 1952 quarter and a 1965 jefferson nickel. The nickel is in great shape and is very beautiful. It's probably pretty common but it's the first old nickel i've found. The quarter looks dirty like any clad quarter you'd find in the earth. My first silver and it didn't shine....

I found two rings -- a mans 10k gold wedding band and a small gold ring with a tiny stone that looks like cloudy glass. I found the wedding band about a foot out into the surf. A woman was walking by when I got a signal and she said "having fun? my brother loves to hunt for relics up in virginia..." and I said "I am having fun, even though all i've found is bottle caps. Here's another one I bet" and -pop- up from my fistful of sand and water came a ring that was unmistakenly gold despite a blotchy corrosion on the surface (which came off with a gentle scrub of my fingernail). I pretended like it was no big deal, all in a day's work, but inside I was thinking "OH WOW my first gold!!!"

I found tons of clad, of course. Found more clad than garbage on the beach, which was surprising.

Finally, I found a 50 yen piece, which is a beautiful coin with a hole in the center. I don't know when it was minted.

Beaches sure were a lot of fun to hunt. Here in Seattle I have to carry all manor of tools to dig up targets. On the beach you just scoop some sand and toss it through the disk and listen for a beep!

My friends and fiance think i'm the biggest dork for dragging my metal detector around with me on vacations, but they can't help but envy my enthusiasm.

And swingin' that detector is better than walking a puppy for meeting people. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread