A challange ...

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The deepest detecting detector I own is not the one with all the fancy color displays, or the multi-tone ID, or even the one with a mode for detecting pocket lint.
No ... the deepest detecting detector in my arsenal is not the most expensive money can buy.

It is the humble Tesoro Tejon.
Proven time and time again in the civil war areas by relic hunters and verified by my own test garden the Tejon will detect deeper than anything I have owned.
The target is a square pull tab buried years ago at 9" deep.
About the same conductivity as a gold ring.

The Tesoro Tejon I got last week with the stock coil will hit that tab strongly in discriminate and even better in all metal mode. Some may think otherwise ... but it is a fair test ... same target ... same soil ... same depth ... same weather conditions ... only the detectors are different ... and many very expensive detectors will fail to even see that tab.
Not even the E-Trac with a 12" Sun Ray coil will make a peep when passed over it.
To be fair neither will the V3 in boost mode.

I like the E-Track and the V3 because of all the modes and features they have available.
But for pure guts ... nothing has proven as sensitive and as deep (on this test target) as the Tesoro Tejon.

I challenge anyone within driving distance to bring their detector over here and find that tab.
I will make a standing wager of $20 your detector can not detect that pull tab and the Tejon will.
All I ask is you use the stock coil on your detector.

Willee

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Willee: You talk about great dept for relics and then use a pulltab for a target at 9"???? I just pulled a 200 year old blacksmith made ax head out of the ground with my XLT! It was over 10" deep!

OP
OP
Willee

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Frankn said:
Willee: You talk about great dept for relics and then use a pulltab for a target at 9"???? I just pulled a 200 year old blacksmith made ax head out of the ground with my XLT! It was over 10" deep!

Frankin, I am not a relic hunter.
I referred to relic hunters who have posted in the past about the performance of the Tejon.
Just about any metal item could have been used as a test target.
Since I am a beach hunter and want to find gold rings a smaller target than an AX head just seem to make more sense to me. Also aluminum has about the same low conductivity as gold.
I would expect the Tejon to detect even deeper on larger targets.
Hope that clears up the issue of why I chose to use a pull tab.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Size, Size Size - Any detector should be able to pick up an axe head much deeper than a pull tab. Large iron and similar targets can be picked up a surprising amount deeper than coins and other small targets. Early on in my detecting career my wife got a strong, solid signal with plenty of signal left over at an old lumber camp using a Tesoro Compadre - the early one with the 7" coil. We dug 17" before hitting a complete old car or truck battery. At another location i dug a gallon sized, rusty can at a measured 15" with the Tesoro Eldorado with the 7" widescan coil attached. Very strong signal there as well. You can get a quick handle on these sorts of distances easily by just air testing using larger and larger targets. I can easily pick up the cast iron reloading press in my catch all room from 2 feet or more depending on the detector and coil mounted. Unfortunately, the "in soil" distance on any target drops a fair bit compared to an air test. Depending on how it lies and its size, I'd say the 9" on the tab is quite good. My two cents
luvsdux

Signum

Jun 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, Minelab Explorer SE, AKA Signum SFT7272
Willee said:
The deepest detecting detector I own is not the one with all the fancy color displays, or the multi-tone ID, or even the one with a mode for detecting pocket lint.
No ... the deepest detecting detector in my arsenal is not the most expensive money can buy.
It is the humble Tesoro Tejon.
Proven time and time again in the civil war areas by relic hunters and verified by my own test garden the Tejon will detect deeper than anything I have owned.
The target is a square pull tab buried years ago at 9" deep.
About the same conductivity as a gold ring.
The Tesoro Tejon I got last week with the stock coil will hit that tab strongly in discriminate and even better in all metal mode. Some may think otherwise ...
but it is a fair test ... same target ... same soil ... same depth ... same weather conditions ... only the detectors are different ... and many very expensive detectors will fail to even see that tab.
Not even the E-Trac with a 12" Sun Ray coil will make a peep when passed over it.
To be fair neither will the V3 in boost mode.
I like the E-Track and the V3 because of all the modes and features they have available.
But for pure guts ... nothing has proven as sensitive and as deep (on this test target) as the Tesoro Tejon.
I challenge anyone within driving distance to bring their detector over here and find that tab.
I will make a standing wager of $20 your detector can not detect that pull tab and the Tejon will.
All I ask is you use the stock coil on your detector.
Willee

Willee, let me ask you - what are the main features of the detector, "ideal" for beach-hunting, what do you think?
Is it only maximum depth which is required? Or discrimination is an important thing, too?
Of course, no detector will discriminate between copper and aliminum!
But gold is a low-conductivity metal, and small ring-shape iron parts can give a signal on the border of nonferrous metal and iron,
exactly in the segment there gold rings are detected. How can your Tejon manage with this problem, for example?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth is good, but only part of it. I'd gladly bet anyone, anything, that my explorer has a much more accurate sound ID at depth than a Tejon. That to me is just as important as depth, and the explorer is of course no slouch when it comes to deep targets. You want raw depth a GTI 2500 in all metal would probably beat them both, but good luck picking out the better targets. :tongue3:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Depth is good, but only part of it. I'd gladly bet anyone, anything, that my explorer has a much more accurate sound ID at depth than a Tejon. That to me is just as important as depth, and the explorer is of course no slouch when it comes to deep targets. You want raw depth a GTI 2500 in all metal would probably beat them both, but good luck picking out the better targets. :tongue3:

But the truth is this is a mute point....
Most people should not want... or need to dig a target any deeper than 12 inches...
Unless of course you want to bring along a backhoe...
I have a hard time digging through brick like ground for clad at times...
I can not immagine trying to dig for a target at 20 or 30 inches...
The beach is differant as it's sand and I carry a shovel.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
Iron Patch said:

Most people should not want... or need to dig a target any deeper than 12 inches...
I can not immagine trying to dig for a target at 20 or 30 inches...

Maybe mute for you, but where I dig, and what I dig, I'd gladly dig any non iron target over a foot. (and some iron too)

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
TORRERO said:
Iron Patch said:

I can not imagine trying to dig for a target at 20 or 30 inches...

Maybe mute for you, but where I dig, and what I dig, I'd gladly dig any non iron target over a foot. (and some iron too)

Let me refraise that...
when digging in a park or school yard or home yard property MOST PEOPE will not want
to dig 2 feet for a quarter signal...
Of course there will always be people who will do it anyway...

Caches are BIG targets, we are referring to small pulltab sized items...
It has already been shown that most machines will get a large target at great depths, this is not the
topic in question...

If I had a machine to dig coins at 2 feet, then my arm would be in a hole up past my elbow...
But some of you guys might do this...
I don't know..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
Iron Patch said:
TORRERO said:
Iron Patch said:

I can not imagine trying to dig for a target at 20 or 30 inches...

Let me refraise that...
when digging in a park or school yard or home yard property MOST PEOPE will not want
to dig 2 feet for a quarter signal...
Of course there will always be people who will do it anyway...

Caches are BIG targets, we are referring to small pulltab sized items...
It has already been shown that most machines will get a large target at great depths, this is not the
topic in question...

If I had a machine to dig coins at 2 feet, then my arm would be in a hole up past my elbow...
But some of you guys might do this...
I don't know..

Speaking of topics in question, your first reply to my post had nothing to do with the point I was making, which I guess you didn't understand. So infact it was your reply that was mute, not my post and point.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry IP this was not directed at you, I think it is more directed at the concept of extreme depth..
and the unrealistic expectations that some people have coming into this hobby, and the fact that long
time hunters do nothing to discorouge this....

When I worked at the flea market and had a machine for sale, someone asked me how deep it would go, when I said 8 - 10inches this guy said he wanted one that goes 3 feet.....
This is the concept of extreme depth... but clearly unrealistic.
Sure some targets are taken at extreme depths at times, but people will quickly get out of this hobby
and become very discouraged after listening to many people here tell them that they need more, depth !! more depth !! more depth...
my point was, that except in certain circumstances (IE ..LARGE targets, or relic Field hunting maybe)most people should not expect nor have much reason to want to get something much more than 12inches.
Sorry if my opinion offended anyone....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willee, I respect you, but your saying my Sov GT with the WOT coil or the SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil will not see it at 9".....

Unfortunate your in Texas and I'm in Orlando.....Would you consider covering my traveling expenses as part of the bet...? :laughing9:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
Sorry IP this was not directed at you, I think it is more directed at the concept of extreme depth..
and the unrealistic expectations that some people have coming into this hobby, and the fact that long
time hunters do nothing to discorouge this....

When I worked at the flea market and had a machine for sale, someone asked me how deep it would go, when I said 8 - 10inches this guy said he wanted one that goes 3 feet.....
This is the concept of extreme depth... but clearly unrealistic.
Sure some targets are taken at extreme depths at times, but people will quickly get out of this hobby
and become very discouraged after listening to many people here tell them that they need more, depth !! more depth !! more depth...
my point was, that except in certain circumstances (IE ..LARGE targets, or relic Field hunting maybe)most people should not expect nor have much reason to want to get something much more than 12inches.
Sorry if my opinion offended anyone....

Gotcha, but your reply quoted me... so. :-X

Depth counts, but all high-end units are close enough that I think it makes the disc. the factor, and as I said the higher end Minelabs have very accuate sound ID at 100% (or very near 100%) of their depth. Once I had some hours in I was in awe compared to other detectors I had used. It was bye bye deep rusty nails and most of the iron I had to chase because it was just too close to left not dug! :thumbsup:

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[q

Yes I went back and re-read the posting and realized that you are not the villian...
again sorry...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
[q

Yes I went back and re-read the posting and realized that you are not the villian...
again sorry...

No big deal. Threads like this don't bother me because I expect a wide range of views.

Depth is good, but I would not want more at a great sacrifice to my time, so agree on some level to many of the posts.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a GTI 2500 that I tried to use 3 times in a planted club hunt for deep coins, dimes and quarters at 9". I was skunked by the Minelabs and Whites DFX. So, I can't say my 2500 was deeper than some of the other machines. Maybe your 2500 was a bit better than mine? I have found that identical machines will have differences so I never say that one machine is deeper or better than another. I found a clad dime at a measured 9" with an ACE 250, but I wouldn't say the little ACE is a truly deep machine. I think the circumstances were just perfect for it at the time. I have a Safari that often I get a signal that is much deeper than I am willing to dig. This is due mainly to physical limitations on my part. But is it truly hitting targets at more than a foot? I don't know because I am not phyisicaly able to dig that deep with a hand held scoop type digger, and I don't carry a shovel around with me. But if my hunting partner finds a gold coin at 18", I might be enticed to dig deeper! If the truth were known I probably have recovered most of my "treasures" at less than six inches. So, what does that prove? Nothing really except my personal thinking and experience about depth. Monty

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I had a GTI 2500 that I tried to use 3 times in a planted club hunt for deep coins, dimes and quarters at 9". I was skunked by the Minelabs and Whites DFX. So, I can't say my 2500 was deeper than some of the other machines. Maybe your 2500 was a bit better than mine? I have found that identical machines will have differences so I never say that one machine is deeper or better than another. I found a clad dime at a measured 9" with an ACE 250, but I wouldn't say the little ACE is a truly deep machine. I think the circumstances were just perfect for it at the time. I have a Safari that often I get a signal that is much deeper than I am willing to dig. This is due mainly to physical limitations on my part. But is it truly hitting targets at more than a foot? I don't know because I am not phyisicaly able to dig that deep with a hand held scoop type digger, and I don't carry a shovel around with me. But if my hunting partner finds a gold coin at 18", I might be enticed to dig deeper! If the truth were known I probably have recovered most of my "treasures" at less than six inches. So, what does that prove? Nothing really except my personal thinking and experience about depth. Monty

Were you using the 2500 in all-metal?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to another 2500 owner and he had the same problem I had with mine. That's mainly what caused me to go with a Minelab. The GTI 2500 has been around a long long time and only a very minor update has been made since it first came out. It is being left behind in technology and Garrett should redesign it with multifrequencies or come up with another modern top of the line detector. It does have the two box adaptability that is a plus and that's all it has going for it right now. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread