A challange ...

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The deepest detecting detector I own is not the one with all the fancy color displays, or the multi-tone ID, or even the one with a mode for detecting pocket lint.
No ... the deepest detecting detector in my arsenal is not the most expensive money can buy.

It is the humble Tesoro Tejon.
Proven time and time again in the civil war areas by relic hunters and verified by my own test garden the Tejon will detect deeper than anything I have owned.
The target is a square pull tab buried years ago at 9" deep.
About the same conductivity as a gold ring.

The Tesoro Tejon I got last week with the stock coil will hit that tab strongly in discriminate and even better in all metal mode. Some may think otherwise ... but it is a fair test ... same target ... same soil ... same depth ... same weather conditions ... only the detectors are different ... and many very expensive detectors will fail to even see that tab.
Not even the E-Trac with a 12" Sun Ray coil will make a peep when passed over it.
To be fair neither will the V3 in boost mode.

I like the E-Track and the V3 because of all the modes and features they have available.
But for pure guts ... nothing has proven as sensitive and as deep (on this test target) as the Tesoro Tejon.

I challenge anyone within driving distance to bring their detector over here and find that tab.
I will make a standing wager of $20 your detector can not detect that pull tab and the Tejon will.
All I ask is you use the stock coil on your detector.

Willee

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I talked to another 2500 owner and he had the same problem I had with mine. That's mainly what caused me to go with a Minelab. The GTI 2500 has been around a long long time and only a very minor update has been made since it first came out. It is being left behind in technology and Garrett should redesign it with multifrequencies or come up with another modern top of the line detector. It does have the two box adaptability that is a plus and that's all it has going for it right now. Monty

If were using all-metal at a club hunt you probably wasted too much time digging iron or other junk? Just can't see how you didn't get any coins. A GTI even in disc. can hit small coins at six of seven inches, and larger ones deeper.

MSRelic

Feb 18, 2010
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, Etrac
IP a Question for you

Iron Patch said:
Once I had some hours in I was in awe compared to other detectors I had used. It was bye bye deep rusty nails and most of the iron I had to chase because it was just too close to left not dug! :thumbsup:

I just got an Etrac. Sounds like you've got nails ID down pat. Please pass along any advice that might help me with IDing nails by tone.

Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: IP a Question for you

MSRelic said:
Iron Patch said:
Once I had some hours in I was in awe compared to other detectors I had used. It was bye bye deep rusty nails and most of the iron I had to chase because it was just too close to left not dug! :thumbsup:

I just got an Etrac. Sounds like you've got nails ID down pat. Please pass along any advice that might help me with IDing nails by tone.

Thanks

The secret is to get used to using low disc. and know how nulling interacts with the signal. That's why I haven't changed my settings in many years because being so used to them I understand every little noise the detector makes. That said, I can't say a whole lot more than just put your time in because I have never used an E-trac and don't know how it compares to an Explorer.

PS... The older the site the easier it is to deal with nails. Most of the sites I hunt are early which might also explain why it's so easy for me to avoid nails. There is no question though that it is MUCH better at doing this than the GTI I had.

MSRelic

Feb 18, 2010
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, Etrac

Iron Patch said:
The secret is to get used to using low disc. and know how nulling interacts with the signal.

Could you elaborate on how nulling interacts with the signal?

Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MSRelic said:
Iron Patch said:
The secret is to get used to using low disc. and know how nulling interacts with the signal.

Could you elaborate on how nulling interacts with the signal?

Thanks

When talking about deep small iron, the hint is nulling tends to occur through the target, compared to on either side of a good target which is masked by iron.

When you scan iron it might sound so so one way, but will usually null through the center the other way. If your discrimination is low, the bigger the iron is, the more likely it is at overriding the disc. and sounding solid one, or both ways. In recent years I've become very good at cherry picking larger, deep, iron relics off my early sites and leaving all the smaller iron behind. It works well because I dig very few large chunks, because there's usualy not many there, and my % of something decent is very high. With my settings i have some simple rules. When I "X" a target and it has some nulling in the sound from both directions, it's just a false off small iron. If it hits one way and not the other, it's probably iron, but a bit bigger. (could be a smaller iron relic but I usually avoid) And if it rings in from both directions (and I still do know it's iron) that's the green light to always dig. Yes, it all sounds pretty simple but the only reason it works is because I put in a lot of time to get to that point, and create these little hints for myself. (Obviusly I learned first, then just thought about what was happening) The more time you put in, the more small things you'll catch on to. I really don't if that that will help you much being new, but you asked. :-X

PS... Any good sounding signal that rings in from both directions you should dig! :thumbsup:

MSRelic

Feb 18, 2010
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, Etrac
IP
Thanks for the details. With your info in the back of my mind I can look for the responses you described when over iron. Do you think I could learn anything by testing over a selection of iron objects on the surface?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread