Permission without them thinking its theirs

montypyfly

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2010
Permission without them thinking it's theirs

I have only been doing this for about five months, but every time I ask permission from homeowners in this old neighborhood, I get a lot of "Sure"s, but they all seem to think everything I dig up is theirs.

I tried mentioning to a few before I started that what I find will be mine, and then the deny my detecting.

Then I tried a few saying I would split anything of value over $100 (Knowing that was pretty safe bet :-) )

One out of three agreed to that, but then he said he wanted the ring I found.

How do you get these people to let you detect, but not expect you to hand over what you find?

Upvote 0

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Re: Permission without them thinking it's theirs

when that happens to me I just tell them that i'll be back at a later date get there number to call before showing up. most likely I dont go back. there are some places I hunt on private property. I always show the home owner what I have found and 95% of the time I keep everything. others want to see the old coins and I am always willing to hand them over REMEMBER you are hunting on there property so if they want to keep everything LET them and just take photos or a video of your finds to post here if your hunting private property for financial gain then you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Chris in MI

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I just tell them "you're welcome to whatever I find". Of course they chuckle and say "ok" or whatever. I have RARELY had anyone actually take anything. Most often they will say "help yourself" or "I don't want it", when (if) you show them some grubby coins when you're done.

Or what I'll be doing, is keeping mental track of what I really want, and just make sure I suggestively push all the items laid out afterwards towards them, but holding out one, and saying "this is a missing date I was looking for for my collection" or "can I hold on to this one token, as I'm a collector". People, w/o knowing values, will often grasp (if they even want anything to begin with) to the shiny mercs, or other such "eye-catcher" type stuff, while caring less about a grubby "good for one drink" copper token. But I know that the merc's are worth $2.00-ish, and the token is worth $200-ish :hello:

On the off-chance they truly do watch over my shoulder the whole time, and truly do want every last pulltab, then I give it to them. But this has happened only 2 or 3x that I can think of, out of hundreds of times at ranches, yards, etc.... I still look at those situations, if they were fun hunts, as still worth it, just to capture some keepers. In those cases, if something good were found, I'd ask them if I can return the keepers later, because I like to photo and document my finds, look them up for value in my guides, etc... I tell them I'll bring them by in a display box for them (the kind you get cheap from arts & crafts store, I have a bunch of). Once I go through those hoops, most people lighten up, and just want a sampling, if anything.

And a lot of times, the "who gets what" isnt' even discussed anyhow. It's only if they ask "who gets what you found" that I even answer the "you're welcome to anything found" line, to begin with.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

You can't convince them that it is not theirs first of all. Of course it is theirs. It's in their lawn. They want every cent and nickle you pull out of there. Offer to split finds even-steven and keep the carnage to an absolute minimum in the lawns. If yer getting the SURE answer, don't argue, work with that, you are lucky. When you throw em a nice merc, they will smile and it will open up more doors. I can't imagine going up cold to a stranger's house and asking if I can go dig coins out of their lawn, it's too difficult for me, but a lot of guys can pull it off. I search more than a fair share of lawns thru family, friends, co-workers and anyone I get to know good enough to ask. Split the goods and post pics. I almost forgot, welcome to Tnet montypyfly and good luck on those juicy untouched yards.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

It's all in the manner of presentation BEFORE you start. Let them feel they are getting something out of it.
I offer a 50/50 split up front. Anything of high value like diamond rings are priced by a jewler and an offer obtained. It can be sold and split 50/50 or if the land owner wants it he can have it for 50% of the jewlers offer. Everything else is alternately picked.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

thats why my pants have 2 pockets....good stuff in one pocket and junk in the other, guess which one the homeowner gets ::)

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dogpound said:
thats why my pants have 2 pockets....good stuff in one pocket and junk in the other, guess which one the homeowner gets ::)

Hate to admit it but thats why I have two pockets also.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Most everyone I've gotten permission from knew I was "just looking for shiny old dimes and stuff like that.."

Now if I made a presentation out of the effort and told them I would love to find valuable old coins in their yards... well I think I'd be better off asking if I could root through their old carriage house or cellar looking for antiques.

I only offer to let them keep any jewlery I find that is valuable. This rarely includes old jewelry in their mindset. So even a "shiny old ring" seldom means anything to most homeowners.

Last week I went out to a couple old corner farm sites where school houses once stood on an invite from another detectorist and as I told him, we didn't find any coin. What we did find was some large iron objects, including a large spike and some old pieces of implements, just as valuable to further hunts at this and other farm sites.

Showing these to a farmer is invaluable in gaining further permission. Anytime he knows you just saved him a tractor tire repair cost he's happy to let you back on for more hunting at as many sites as he has available.

Yep, what you're asking for is permission to take things from people's yards. Keep that in mind and let them know this will inevitably benefit them through your removal of trash and other material that may represent some hazard.

If you find them to be wanting of everything you find right away, tell them where to buy a metal detector of their own and move on.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Just treat the homeowner as you would expect to be treated if you were in their shoes: with honesty and respect. Don’t try to patronize them because most people will see right past your “good ‘ol boy” smile. Most of all, give them what you promised them.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010

I am sorry but I do not agree with the "two-pocket" theory. Be honest and your finds will increase accordingly.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I always offer to show the land owner what I've dug up, most of the time they don't care. when they ask what I'm looking for, tell them. nickels, dimes, pennies, whatever is down there. most people don't think of coins as being valuable

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

JoelB said:
I am sorry but I do not agree with the "two-pocket" theory. Be honest and your finds will increase accordingly.

Ditto

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lowbatts said:
JoelB said:

Ditto

I respect your honesty.

But I have to ask.

So if you found a gold ring with a huge rock on it or maybe a 1700's coin you wouldn't think about slipping it in the other pocket?
What if they where renters would you feel diffrent?

If you hadn't come along it very well could of never been found and lost forever.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like to think of this hobby as a bunch of us old guys who could actually remember back when a quarter could buy something.

A good day for me is like $1.37. For something like 4 hours of swinging.

I once found a buffalo nickel in rough shape, worth about a quarter. When it was new, it would buy a bottle of soda, and now even with its "inflated value", it won't.

Sort of puts this in perspective.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

if its a home owners lost ring then i return it just like any lost personal item. if the home owner wants to cherry pick my finds then i just don't hunt that property, i know that a ring down 5 or 6 inches wasn't lost recently so its http://postimage.org/image/21a9v75r8/ every private home i've hunted the homeowner usually just asked if i found anything and that was that, if they wanted to pick every silver dime or quarter from my finds that sort of takes the fun outa my hobby, after all i'm in the hobby to collect coins and not just swing the detector for my health. would it be the same if i was deer hunting on someone's property and shot a deer and when i went to drag it out to my car the homeowner says he wants to keep it...... i just wouldn't hunt there

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I would never let someone metal detect my lawn for valuable old coins or rings or goodies. Especially me.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II

I remember one day asking an older lady that owned a early 50s roadside hotel if i could shoot her property and with much hesitation she said yes. I found two clad quarters in a short time . to which she snatched them out of my hand and was looking over my shoulder for the next find . I promtly excused myself and told her I needed to get something out of my car . As I packed my detector in the front seat. I guess she never figured out why I left so abruptly. I refuse to hunt with someone standing or knowing every last thing I dig. To many places to hunt . I guess she is still wondering where I went to. Rob

DavidRamey

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's GMT

reading this thread explains why we have less places we can hunt. When we ask permission to hunt on someones property, everything we find belongs to that landowner and we are lucky that most allows us to keep what we find. I offer them 1/2 of everything I find and don't hold back anything out of the division of finds. Rarely have they even taken their half, giving me all of the finds. Honesty here is what opens doors to other places to hunt. If you don't like the idea of returning their property to them when you find it because you don't swing your detector for your health, then find another hobby and stop hurting our hobby with your greed.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

how is it hurting the hobby if i choose to not hunt someone's propery that wants to cherry pick my finds? i'm thankful the city doesn't want their split when hunting parks or beaches. if homeowners wanna keep everything in their yard thats their right, but i'm not doin all the work for them.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The first place I hunted on the old guy said sure go ahead will split it 50-50,so I said sure,then when I got back with my/our treasures he said 80-20 and then when I protested he said 90-10 and I said here just take it and left. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread