Permission without them thinking its theirs

montypyfly

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2010
Permission without them thinking it's theirs

I have only been doing this for about five months, but every time I ask permission from homeowners in this old neighborhood, I get a lot of "Sure"s, but they all seem to think everything I dig up is theirs.

I tried mentioning to a few before I started that what I find will be mine, and then the deny my detecting.

Then I tried a few saying I would split anything of value over $100 (Knowing that was pretty safe bet :-) )

One out of three agreed to that, but then he said he wanted the ring I found.

How do you get these people to let you detect, but not expect you to hand over what you find?

Upvote 0

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Permission without them thinking it's theirs

Unless I was doing some type of archeological dig, I see no point in detecting if I can't keep my finds. I'm all about returning lost items and donating items of historical value, but I'm not going to go through the effort of detecting just to give things away. If I get permission from the land owner, I have no problem sharing, but to give everything away is lame. If they say up front, they want all the finds, I pass. If they don't say anything, I'm going to assume they don't want any of it and it's going home with me. If you want to put the better items in a second pocket to hide your finds, go for it. You're doing the work digging items that they never knew were there and most likely never had any interest in it (until you find it!). Now, if I knocked on a door and got permission and was told about something on the property ahead of time, I'd be happy to give it to the property owner.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Permission without them thinking it's theirs

rule #1 never ASS U ME --IT MAKES A --- ASS U & ME -- OLD SAYING

ALWAYS BE SURE FROM THE GET GO WHATS WHAT * do they want it all -- then just pass and let them know that they can go buy a detector and do the work of digging up their own stuff , that your not a slave that works for nothing . (fair is fair--true its their land but its your equiptment and labor )--so I see it as a partnership of sorts -- its like a crippled up old gold miner that has a useful mine but is unable to work it , saying you dig fer me but i keep all the gold -- uh no --how about I dig for you and we split it? now thats more like it) -- however once one strikes a deal --ones word of honor is on the line * stick to the deal -- honor in a persons eyes once lost can not be regained , remember that always .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread