which metal detector is right for me?

Sasha Dexter

Nov 16, 2010
I am buying a metal detector in the spring and have not decided which to get. I have looked at the metal detectors with two boxes, mainly because most of the legends I have read about that I would like to look for would be deep. I am a beginner with a lot a lot of excitement. I also cant afford to spend a thousand dollars on a machine right now. But I am looking for something of good quality that is going to be worth spending the money on. I live in a very rural environment actually in a valley to be more specific, so we are surrounded by hills. If anyone could suggest a detector that would be right for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if you want a 2 box .. i would look for a Garrett GTI2500 and the 2500 is a very deep detector... then it is the only detector that i know that you can put a 2 box coil on if you want look for a used 2500 on ebay i saw a refurbuished one on ebay for $589.00 with the warranty on it..then later when you get the extra cash you could get the 2 box coil... some times you can pick up the 2 box coil for $200.00 and a used 2500 for $450.00............. but that one for $589.00 is really new.......

Attachments

• hbby_imaging_detectors_r4_c4.jpg
    hbby_imaging_detectors_r4_c4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 432
  • hbby_gti2500_depth_multiplier_package_r4_c5.jpg
    hbby_gti2500_depth_multiplier_package_r4_c5.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 461

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Sasha, whatever you do, keep your excitement, but you must also, like your quest for knowledge of "what to buy" realize your limits as to just what and where you will be able to use your new detector. As a beginner you will have much to learn and there will be some dissapointments. That's why I said to keep your excitement,and in spite of those dissapointments learn all you can from those on every forum you can get into and do lots of listening before you ask questions in order to get the feel of things.Then you will know better what questions you need to ask. You will especially want to talk to those in your area of the country and find out what detector/s they use that works good for your particular area. Not all detectors work in all areas since some areas are known to have high mineralization that causes problems for some detectors. There are many restrictions on where detectors are allowed/not allowed and in many cases/ places they are forbidden under serious penalty. This has proven costly for some.As for which detector is best for you, like most all of us you will be limited as to what you will actually be able seek, how far can you travel etc. Keep it simple and plan on staying close to home and local, and if you have plenty of kinfolks that will be fertile ground to hunt ,with their permission of course. To finish with my 2 cents I would suggest you go to Tesoro Electronics and have them send you their Catalogue. It has much information about metal detecting in general with terminalogy, descriptions, and explanations of things detecting wise. From there you can gain a heap of what you are lookng for in the way of knowledge and the things to help you make the right choice for whatever detector will be best for you. I cannot help but add to Tesoro's credit, that they have Proven over many years to have the best of service and Lifetime Warranty of all the detector folks. They are a good place to begin your search for knowledge.Happy Hunting! Cass

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well to late for that refurbished 2500 for $589.00 some one bought it a little while ago but keep watching for deals like that..

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
It would be helful if we know what type of detecting you will do mainly.
But if general detecting why not start off with a used Garrett Ace 250. If you get tired of detecting you can get your money back 100% with little trouble.

If later you decide to upgrade you can again get your money back 100% with little trouble and then buy something a bit more expensive.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Keppy said:
Well if you want a 2 box .. i would look for a Garrett GTI2500 and the 2500 is a very deep detector... then it is the only detector that i know that you can put a 2 box coil on if you want look for a used 2500 on ebay i saw a refurbuished one on ebay for $589.00 with the warranty on it..then later when you get the extra cash you could get the 2 box coil... some times you can pick up the 2 box coil for $200.00 and a used 2500 for $450.00............. but that one for $589.00 is really new.......

I don't have a 2-box or a 2500, but that sounds like a good call to me. Do you own this setup? Does anyone know anybody who found anything good with this setup? You can't tell actual size and depth in 2-box mode - or can you?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
batcap said:
Keppy said:

I don't have a 2-box or a 2500, but that sounds like a good call to me. Do you own this setup? Does anyone know anybody who found anything good with this setup? You can't tell actual size and depth in 2-box mode - or can you?
I don't think you can tell size or depth. But i never used one .... .... I really never wanted to dig a hole deeper than 10 inches give or take.......

Attachments

• addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 284
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 506
  • addon.gif
    addon.gif
    78 KB · Views: 275
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 509

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest to listen to Keppy on this one. The use of a Garrett 2500 will train you for more intensive use of the two box. The two box won't tell you what it is or the depth. You figure that out with training and experence.

Welcome to the Tnet family too. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread