Metal Detecting at Night?

kalbs

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
I use a red-lens penlight attached to my ball cap. I try to stay VERY low profile. If I am working near a site w/a security guard, I always tell them what I am doing. I also let them know when I leave the area. You don't want them (or anyone) to call the cops on you. You are perfectly safe. . . if no one knows you are there. . . I don't want to attract attention. If the bad guys don't know you are there, they can't victimize you. Gloves, insect repellant and a head-net for when the mosquitoes get really bad.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go out nearly every night from 9pm to about 1am.

I live in the ghetto and usually hit the tot lots or park fields.

I've only been bothered by police 2 times and both at the same tot lot at a school.

Usually the police drive up and shine the light on me. I wave and show them my detector and they drive away.

I've never been bothered by people. They do sometimes ask questions, but I've never had any trouble.

Most people see a guy with a metal detector and a shovel in a park late at night and think you are homeless or just a crazy guy.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom2hunt said:
If you need some light you need to use a red light source. The red light will not effect your eyes after you already focus on the night conditions. This is what astronomers use at night to look at their star maps and charts.

Yep. Even had a star program on a laptop that ran my telescope that had a red screen so as not to ruin my night vision.

Al

diggingnewengland

Apr 10, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Minelab Sovereign GT
I do all of my hunts on the beaches around here during the nights. To me it is alot easier most of the time the beach is empty and I can grid out the whole beach without any problems. The only time that I do any hunting during the day time is when I find an old farmhouse foundation or want to work a field. But that is not to often with all of the beaches around here I have more than enough great spots to keep me busy. Good Luck Hunting :icon_thumleft:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
up here in maine we hunt mostly fields parks where i am actually living at the moment, the parks have a curfew time of around 10:00 p.m. and most everybody is got to be out of there

Stanl (MI)

Apr 29, 2009
S.E. Mich.
Detector(s) used
Whites: V3i, DFX, & XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember, if you hunt at night with a light everybody around knows where you are.
I have hunted at night and intend to do so again this year, but usually old homesteads or the beach.
In the city, no way.
Usually I'm outta there by 1-2 in the afternoon, just to be safe.
White coils work the best for me. It's amazing the contrast that you'll have against the dark soil or sand.

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
I hunt at night all the time...The pros are....cooler temperature, less people in the way and asking you questions or staring etc. The cons...The crazy people, drunks and the bums

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Carry a weapon . You may not run into the Wolfman, but but you might run into someone a lot meaner. Be aware of your surroundings. (That goes for the daylight hours also)

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
No weapon needed. The spade, knife, screwdriver or shovel are all good weapons indeed. No flashlight needed, but sometimes useful. A good hand held electric probe tector is worth ten fold at night, but not necessary.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On NC and FL beaches, the early bird gets the worm... and that's usually just after sundown. If you wait until firstlight, the diehard MD'ers will show you what you missed... as they are walking back to the car! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread