Attachments

• DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 688
Upvote 0

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
The plugs will turn brown. Most guys don't see the plugs they cut after a couple of days. I've also seen posts of brown plugs guys have posted to make their point. Cutting when the ground is wet is supposed to help. Later in the year the grass goes dormate and it doesn't make a difference. Some guys think cutting a 3 sided flap instead of a full plug helps. Rob

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the reason most of us don't dig a plug unless we are in the woods and not on grass. You can only cut the roots on three sides and leave the other side intact. You shouldn't need to cut any plug unless the target is deep (over 3 inches) Watering the cut plug sometimes helps, but who carries that much water?

Sandman

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman256 said:
This is the reason most of us don't dig a plug unless we are in the woods and not on grass. You can only cut the roots on three sides and leave the other side intact. You shouldn't need to cut any plug unless the target is deep (over 3 inches) Watering the cut plug sometimes helps, but who carries that much water?

Sandman

I dig a plug EVERYTIME. If it's not deeper than 4" I won't even dig it 95% of the time unless it is a clad quarter. Those I will bend over for.

This time of year though you aren't going to be able to avoid the brown spots. If you want to hunt well maintained yards then do it early spring or late fall.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why, for me, the metal detecting "seasons" have to be fall and spring. In the fall I mainly get into my better wooded and abandoned sites. Spring or VERY late fall is about the only time I'll search yards. Also, it is too darn hot in Kentucky in the summer...and humid too. I don't ever want to give anyone in this hobby a bad name. Also, word gets around. A few nice coins from one yard in the heat of summer is not worth the bad impression the neighbors get about you from the property owner. There could be even better finds waiting for you in their yards!!! Plugs are my preferred method. I make sure I pinpoint the area as small as possible. I also dig three-sided plugs, always. Oh, and I always dig the plugs deep. I do this for several reasons. Less fuss about trying to find it in the hole (and potentially having to deepen/widen it) if I can be relatively certain it is in the plug. Also, I want to err on the side of depth because when you dig a plug you traumatize the grass--if the target is deeper (and we all hope it is if it is in a yard!), I don't want to disturb the roots of the grass unless it is absolutely necessary. Hopefully the target is deeper than root-level and I can get it without slicing the roots very much. This should improve the lawns chances of survival. I also put excess dirt on a small, thin, plastic, dollar store bathmat that I carry around so that it doesn't get everywhere and draw attention to the plug. I hope this helps.

Buckleboy

B

BIG61AL

I try to do an "L' cut or a short curved cut and only flip the flap of grass up inf the coin is in the flap and not still in the hole. I got to be gentle - don't want the soccer moms/dads to get my lip service about destroying the field even though the cleats and constant use by soccer games do the real damage. Sometimes if the target is way deeper than what my detectors says I'll find it and realize it's a whole pop can - I'll leave just so I won't leave a big hole to get it out.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
The method that I use is what I call the "slit" method. Make a cut at about a 45 angle directly ovet the target. Make it 8 to 10 inches long. Then make a cut at the opposite angle in the same slit as the first cut. Then pry the sod back on both sides. You can now dig the dirt out. Replace the dirt, pack it down, then step the sod back down pushing it toward the slit. The dig will be practically unnoticeable. Since you have not severed any sod from its surroundings it will not die off.

Have been doing this for many years and have never seen a brown spot from it.

Mark S.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark, you ever cut or nick any coins using the "slit" method? It sounds good, but that would be my only concern with cutting directly over the target. I've dug some pretty shallow silver coins before. Any additional information is much appreciated. I'll be sure to try this one at some point soon. Hard to get out of the habit of cutting plugs though after diggin up tens of thousands of targets LOL. Thanks for sharing your techniques on this post.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all nice ideas. I'll try any method I can to keep from ruining greenery in public places...
I try all my new methods in my back yard. It isn't in the best shape, so, its a perfect place to wreck the grass. Might I also remind others that the thickness of the grass mat that one is digging may also warrant a different method than the previous area.

I know we all know this, but, there are certain places I will not dig unless there has been rain within at least 2-3 days. Without the rain here in Houston and surrounding areas the soil is nearly unbreakable and the recovery time for the grass is very slow due to the lack of surface nutrients in this grayish clay crap we call soil. It can take several weeks for a plug to finally heal, but, it will be dead in a matter of days with the wrong technique. Most of our public places don't have lush carpeting, since, it is mostly just fill-clay/sand for leveling.

If we aren't going to dig a bunch of holes what is the point in going right? With that in mind, just from my back yard alone I can tell you it is important to consider, not only soil types, but, moisture levels present and to come.

I am not preaching to the choir by any means, but, I have noticed several new folks here latley and it is nice to see that so many of you actually have some etiquette.

GL and HH

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Buckleboy

No I have not nicked any coins during the "slitting" process. I have nicked a few while digging out the dirt. It just goes with the territory. An inherent part of the hobby that sooner or later will get you. Although I rarely nick one now that I am using a pinpointer.

Most of what I am digging are 4 inches plus deep. As long as you pinpoint properly and make the slits at a decent angle then you will be clear of the target. If the targets are all shallow then I generally probe them out. I agree that there are a few shallow silver coins out there. Mostly in virgin spots. Just have to use your judgement.

I did put this method in print. It was in Western & Eastern Treasures many years back. I also made up a handout that I distribute at hunts, usually on an FMDAC table.

If you would like one then drop me an email and I will send you one.

Mark S.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
in dry ground your plugs will turn brown, no way around it really. you could water each plug, but who carries 10 gallons of water with them? after the first few rains the plugs will turn green again. if you want to avoid them all together, dig when the ground is damp or when some good rain is coming.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
I've found a post hole digger to be the best. At night of course I don't use the gas model but the hand one!
I also have found the 3-phase 440v vibrato-pro with the 5 foot shaft for those really deep holes best!!!

Kidding, just kidding!! ;D I've actually not dug deep in public places unless I have a very good hit and feeling about the target. I also have found a better detector and using a pinpointer really keeps plug sizes to a minimium. I also need to practice cutting a small slice to retreive coins that aren't very deep.
Practice,practice,practice!!! :) :) :)
HH

storm45colt

Sep 15, 2006
I carry a bucket with about three inches of water in it and put the plug in the water as soon as it comes out and then make sure to fill the hole with dirt so there isn't any air pockets, or as little as possible, then press the plug back in firmly. Every plug I've done this way has stayed green.
Hope it works for you.
Storm

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
ivy_walls said:
I am getting pretty good at digging plugs but I noticed in my yard( or should I say my wife noticed for me) that some of my plug site turn brown after a couple days. Any secret tips to keep this from happening ?

1. Don't look at the places where you have dug.

2. Dig heavily in one general area and then when finished till it up and turn it into a flower bed.

3. Start from one end of the yard and lay out artificial turf. As you dig across the yard, roll out the turf.

4. Make the best of the situation and turn what some would think is a bad thing into a good one. Tell all your friends and neighbors that the rings mysteriously appeared and was no doubt the work of aliens.

5. Start a junk yard in your backyard. Nobody will notice the brown spots!

There are many more but I'm sure these will fuel some creative thought within the gray matter.

Best of luck!

Badger

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
LOL @ Badger's tips!

I use a similar slit method to what Mark said.

Basically just cutting a slit in the sod, then pulling back the sides. The grass won't die this way, unless you accidentally tear some sod loose, then it might die.

30 years without a complaint about brown spots, and when I have gone back to my own spots for multiple days in a row, no brown spots are visible. I guarantee this method to not leave brown spots unless the sod gets torn loose.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Michigan Badger said:
ivy_walls said:
I am getting pretty good at digging plugs but I noticed in my yard( or should I say my wife noticed for me) that some of my plug site turn brown after a couple days. Any secret tips to keep this from happening ?

1. Don't look at the places where you have dug.

2. Dig heavily in one general area and then when finished till it up and turn it into a flower bed.

3. Start from one end of the yard and lay out artificial turf. As you dig across the yard, roll out the turf.

4. Make the best of the situation and turn what some would think is a bad thing into a good one. Tell all your friends and neighbors that the rings mysteriously appeared and was no doubt the work of aliens.

5. Start a junk yard in your backyard. Nobody will notice the brown spots!

There are many more but I'm sure these will fuel some creative thought within the gray matter.

Best of luck!

Badger

i like the way you think! ;D ;D

storm45colt said:
I carry a bucket with about three inches of water in it and put the plug in the water as soon as it comes out and then make sure to fill the hole with dirt so there isn't any air pockets, or as little as possible, then press the plug back in firmly. Every plug I've done this way has stayed green.
Hope it works for you.
Storm

thats a pretty cool idea, never thought of that one.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a coin popper on nice pretty lawns, and a lesche everywhere else.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
To Mainedigger

Would you please send me your address and I will send you a copy. I did reply to your message but I hit the reply button instead of the link. So it did not go to you. Just realized I did it. I deleted the PM on this board thinking I had your email on the email message.

Silly me!!!!

Mark S.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night Stalker,

How well does that coin popper work? Which style do you use?

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread