chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time I find coins on top of the ground as I am sure you all have too... even more rare is finding an older coin on top of the ground... well I did just that tonight... I got a quarter signal ad 0 inches!!! at first I thought it was a can but the signal was so clean so I looked down and I said... naa that can't be on top of the ground... nooooo that can't be a quarter... well I was wrong... just bend over and pick it up!

Every time I find a keeper like this I wonder how long its been sitting there like that!

Tell us of your "on top of the ground" finds too! I am very interested in knowing your story too!

Chukers

Attachments

• top 1.JPG
    top 1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 3,221
  • top 2.JPG
    top 2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,223
  • top 3.JPG
    top 3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 3,202
  • top 4.JPG
    top 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,197
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Loosechange said:
Not a coin, but last year while hunting a park 1 morning I eyeballed a greenback just lying on the ground, turned out to be a $20 bill, made me happy!! Also I have always picked up change that I find in parking lots and stuff even when I was a little kid before Metal Detecting became an addiction, anyway never before had I picked up a Wheat cent, last year I found 2, 1 in a parking lot and 1 at an amusement park gift shop floor!

wow I have forgotten all the bills I have picked up over the years... you comment reminded me of that... I think they (paper money) has a specific way of floating across the ground and in the air that make you take notice... well at least me it does!

Chukers

my latest bill was $1 stuck to a chain link fence a few months back.

Also... I hear that walmart parking lots are a good place to "eyeball" money!

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twice in farm feild i found large cents sitting right on top.....another time i found 1835 large cent above ground under corn stalks..... at the fresh water beach i found 10k tennis braclet and 10k earing on top of sand after several days of heavy rain .....they were in a 3 inch deep washed out area of the sand....

Southern loyalist

Jun 6, 2011
No coins of note but several years ago I found a US box plate on the surface with the S exposed and the U covered with moss. I passed my detector over the plate just to make sure I wasn't dreaming! The other day I found a .58 three ringer laying on top of the ground while detecting a yard. Ended up with 4 .69s, 4 .58s and a '42 Merc dime in about 2 hours...

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok,

here's mine from this year. Me and a couple of friends were finding civil war buttons in an area of a real old foundation in the lowcountry of South Carolina. We'd also found some colonial buttons and a King george copper or two in this site also, but it was mostly civil war finds. I got right up next to a piece of the foundation and got a good signal with my goldbug DP. I looked down and saw a button laying on top of the sand. Here's what it looked like right after I picked it up. It's a British rev war button from around 1780! I researched this unit and that's the year they were in the area. The condition is fantastic as you can see in the second pic after I cleaned it up a bit. It's hard to find a pewter button from the revoluntionary war in this condition. Once again the lowcountry sand worked its magic on artifacts. It's quite a bonus for me living and digging down here love it :headbang:

LP

Attachments

• revd.jpg
    revd.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,762
  • revclean.jpg
    revclean.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,821
  • revclean.jpg
    revclean.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,811
  • revd.jpg
    revd.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,780

TypicalClinger

Oct 20, 2011
Fort Wayne,In
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1920 Mercury while mowing my lawn. My house was built in 1932. It was in the dirt next to a hosta plant. I don't think it had always been on top of the ground I thnk maybe it was pushed to the surface by roots and erosion.

dwatson4

Sep 8, 2010
West Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
E trac, F75, Garrett Sea hunter II
I've had 2 on top the ground finds this year, the first was a gigantic .925 thug ring as I was walking up a hill to detect around a basketball court. I didn't even detect it, just saw it as I was walking by. I believe I posted a picture of it.
The other was on Easter morning. I had found a 44 merc in a beat down park the day before so I got my md'ing buddy and went back. I went right back to the spot where I got the dime and was swinging around when I got a silver quarter signal on the etrac. It was showing very shallow and I was in a VERY trashy area, there was a early 1900's bottle dump not 20 feet away. Lots of broken glass and metal do dads everywhere. I kicked the dirt away with my foot and a 1915 D barber quarter shot out on the second kick. It was completely coated in some black crust, could barely make anything out on it, possilby burned. Took a while to get it all off. Also posted here...
Not 10 miniutes later my bud got an early SLQ and 2 barber dimes in the same hole not 50 yards away about 8-10 inches deep with his Etrac. I've been back to that area several more times and only managed to eek out another merc.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found three neat finds on top of the ground in recent years. The first was my first mercury dime underneath some pine needles, 1942. Recently, I also eyeballed a silver disc in the woods and it turned out to be a presidential token from a 1930's Cracker Jack box. The most recent was a few days ago. I was detecting at a known civil war battle site by the river and found a piece of artillery lead sabot laying on top of the rocks by the water. Good stuff.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This spring I was hunting in the woods on a hillside of a local park and I found two silver quarters just 1 foot apart, both right on top of the ground, a 1943 and a 1934. Found an eagle button on top of the ground while CW relic hunting once...again in the woods.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Not on top of the ground, but damned close, and my oldest find to date.

I was searching an old stop on the Applegate trail here in Oregon, which is now a kiddie park, lol.

Got a nice crisp sounding silver signal on my CZ-5, which was immediately covered up by an overtone. I crisscrossed it a few times, and was sure I heard silver every time before it overloaded, so I started scratching around a bit.

Turns out it was a piece of corrugated roofing, about a foot square, maybe an inch down. I got it dug up and researched the "hole". Sure enough, right on where one of the corners used to be, I dug my first 1800's dime, a nice Seated Liberty, 1848, at about a half inch. It was resting on one of the corners of the tin.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I share a metal detector with a friend and right now he's in NY,so I've been looking on top of the ground all year, and I'm up to about $47 and some change as of today.I find money everywhere,parking lots,coinstar's,my street,and right now I'm finding money at a disc golf course,that use to have a barn on it and just today I found a 1946 penny :hello2:
So keep looking,like I do and you'll be semi-rich by the end of the year :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High Plains Digger said:
Produce Guy: I want to be your friend. Ever get hit by money just falling out of the sky?

Chuckers: great post, man.

Thanks... this post bring back so many memories... memories of events and things I used to do as a boy that has lead me to the things I do now... for example... I used to search ever phone booth every newspaper machine every vending machine including underneath... I once found some change in a laundromat and when I put it in the change maker it gave me back more than I put in... I was having the time of my life!

Once in my early 20's I was in Reno Nevada and I lost my money including my food money... (surprise surprise) but I walked around from slot machine to slot machine picking up change... till I found one with $65 in it... no one was around so I scooped it up and I heard behind me from one of the janitors "Lucky!" I had food money for the rest of the week LOL

so many good memories you all are bring back! I love it!

Chukers

N4VA

Greenie
May 26, 2011
I was about 11 or 12 yrs old when I went with my parents to Marshall Hall, MD http://www.marshallhall.org/happyland.html
This would have been about 1957 or 58. I was looking for coins in the slot machines. Reached into the dollar slot and pulled a beautiful 1923 Silver Dollar off of a ledge that it landed on inside the machine. It couldn't be seen in the tray, but there it was, just above the tray on a ledge. I checked every other machine. No more goodies to be found. Remember it like it was yesterday.
Larry
Sprinfield, VA

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest top-o-the-ground find was a wallet with $1300 cash in it. No joke.
Also had an ID in it. I returned it all to its rightful owner.
The guy was happy, to say the least.
Gave me 50 bucks as a reward. :icon_thumleft:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a great topic chukers! :thumbsup:

My best find was a silver 1918 Canadian Nickel. I was hunting around a big old maple tree, I looked down and there it was. I think it probably surfaced through erosion, as I can't seem to clean off the black staining.

Dave

Attachments

• Apr 20 006.jpg
    Apr 20 006.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,273
  • Apr 20 007.jpg
    Apr 20 007.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,252
  • Apr 20 007.jpg
    Apr 20 007.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,251
  • Apr 20 006.jpg
    Apr 20 006.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,273

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Hey Antiquarian: That ain't a nickel. Y'all had the good stuff back then.

Here's an interesting story: James Mitchner was supposed to be a real stickler for details, and researched books for a long time before he started writing. In "Centennial" there was a bit about a guy getting on a steamboat in like the 1840s. After the kid loaded all his bags onto the boat, he flipped the kid a nickel for the tip, or wages, or whatever. Needless to say, nickels didn't come around until the 1860s. He should have flipped him a half dime.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I think many people should keep track of these finds. I sure do . 2 nights ago I went into a store to get some rubbing alcohol to clean some finds. Walked by coinstar and it looked like the car ashtray full of coins. I got about 100 coins chucky cheese tolken and a bunch of canadian coins . about 8 bucks and two wheat pennys. Parking lots are the place to find ground scores . As follows , 2 watches 5 one dollar bills 1 twenty dollar bill laying in a mudpuddle. I once was mding a mon - fri parking lot and someone dumped I guess it was their ash tray full of pennys . I looked down and saw nothing but pennys. I spent 2 hrs picking them up and lmao. tennis courts are great places to find bangels and bracelets . I have pesonaly found 12 rings without my detector . Most of them are from parking lots . So much is out there .
Here is one that will blow you away. I was working in Fla. my first year of detecting . I was in this park . An old man walked up to me and said sonny boy you do not need that fancy thing to find stuff . I looked at him kind of strange. He pointed over by the tennis courts and said "Just go look on the ground over there . You will find jewelry right on top of the ground. Come to find out it was the dog park . To make a long story short I went to where he told me and in five min. I found a bracelet 14 k and full of Ice . I am not going to spell it out for ya . but dog parks are jewelry central great post

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great post here keep em comin! hope i can contribute soon

Fmt15

Greenie
Oct 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After getting my first detector I went out to a school with my dad. This was only the third time I had been out detecting.. and i got my first signal on the edge of the field, I went to dig (Using a Tesoro Compadre) and there was a huge pile of leaves.. Well i kicked away the leaves and there was a 1898 Barber Dime sitting on the surface. It was heavily covered in black junk and didn't clean up very well.. But i was pretty ecstatic as its still the only silver I've found. ;D

One time at my highschool basketball game I was sitting in the bleachers and looked under real quick and saw a dusty bill, so i ran down and grabbed it.. ended up being two 20's and a 10 folded together.. 50 bucks!! It had a layer of dust on it, so no sense turning it in :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread