chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time I find coins on top of the ground as I am sure you all have too... even more rare is finding an older coin on top of the ground... well I did just that tonight... I got a quarter signal ad 0 inches!!! at first I thought it was a can but the signal was so clean so I looked down and I said... naa that can't be on top of the ground... nooooo that can't be a quarter... well I was wrong... just bend over and pick it up!

Every time I find a keeper like this I wonder how long its been sitting there like that!

Tell us of your "on top of the ground" finds too! I am very interested in knowing your story too!

Chukers

Attachments

• top 1.JPG
    top 1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 3,221
  • top 2.JPG
    top 2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,223
  • top 3.JPG
    top 3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 3,202
  • top 4.JPG
    top 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,197
Upvote 0

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What great timing for this topic, many of my finds are right on top as I look everyday, every place I am for coinage and jewelery. I have cans of coins and jewelery at both of my jobs that were all surface finds throughout the course of the work day. This photo I have posted shows one days finds at a HS parking lot while walking my dog, the rest were detected earlier in the day. Just like detecting a dirt parking lot I will walk the area that the drivers door is theoretically at and look for coins dropped while retrieving keys. I have been doing this for 30+ years and my finds at the end of the year are in the pounds, this way I am collecting even when I cannot detect. The second photo shows my pennies for this year alone...

Attachments

• dirt fishing on 10-24-11.jpg
    dirt fishing on 10-24-11.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,849
  • surface found pennies for 2011.jpg
    surface found pennies for 2011.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,886

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a 58 cal 2-ringer Gardner on top of the ground, under a large Ceder tree; IH under another tree.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure come in many forms and fashions... I have found tools laying in and on the side of the street (wrenches, screwdriver, pliers) which I still use to this day!

Also here another thing to look for which I have found and cashed... do not hesitate to pick up a lottery ticket... (most are used but a few were not) I have picked up several and a few I cashed in for money! nothing of great value I thin $5 was the biggest one I found...

Keep you eyes open and your head down... you'll never know what you'll find!

Chukers

P.S. Keep the stories coming I like hearing what you guys have found too!

twincapes

Jan 21, 2007
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 w Pro performance coil, Garrett Pro-pointer
I found a 3 ringer minie ball on top of the ground a couple years back. Have also found 2 silver quarters (2 separate times) in the change slot of parking machines recently.

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
A few years ago I found a 1899 V nickel laying on top of a plowed field. About a week after that I found a 1867 shield nickel on top in a washed out area down from an old school. Lot of goodies just laying on top of the ground waiting for us to pick them up.

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
A couple finds from years past I can remember....
First was from a sledding hill at one of my favorite parks. I was hunting one winter after the snow melted off. Most of what I found was clad lying on top of the ground. I saw a dime in the grass about 15 feet ahead of me. When I got to it and picked it up, I was shocked to see a beautiful 1903 Barber Dime. I was puzzled why anyone would have been carrying that in their pocket, but I saw a rut cut through the turf into the mud about 10 yards uphill by all the sleds... this dime must have been popped out of the ground by a sledder and deposited downhill.

Second one was during a woods hunt at an old campground. I was digging silver coins and other finds when I saw an old pepsi can lying in the leaves under a tangle of honeysuckle vines. For what ever reason I reached in and kicked it as I walked past and saw on top of the dirt under where the can had lain a nice shiny Silver Washington Quarter.

HH, Mike.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike Moutray said:
A couple finds from years past I can remember....
First was from a sledding hill at one of my favorite parks. I was hunting one winter after the snow melted off. Most of what I found was clad lying on top of the ground. I saw a dime in the grass about 15 feet ahead of me. When I got to it and picked it up, I was shocked to see a beautiful 1903 Barber Dime. I was puzzled why anyone would have been carrying that in their pocket, but I saw a rut cut through the turf into the mud about 10 yards uphill by all the sleds... this dime must have been popped out of the ground by a sledder and deposited downhill.

Second one was during a woods hunt at an old campground. I was digging silver coins and other finds when I saw an old pepsi can lying in the leaves under a tangle of honeysuckle vines. For what ever reason I reached in and kicked it as I walked past and saw on top of the dirt under where the can had lain a nice shiny Silver Washington Quarter.

HH, Mike.

oh I like the barber dime one... that is a cool story...

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last thursday it was raining so i went down by the garage to detect and got a swallow signal and thinkig it was a pull tap that fell out of the truck one day , i went to probe the area as i pulled grass back and seen this beauty 1857 flying eagle

Attachments

• Photo544.jpg
    Photo544.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • Photo544.jpg
    Photo544.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,263

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread Chukers ! I haven't found too many "groundies" lately , but I have found a Barber
dime on top- in a park where trenches for new irrigation had been dug, I found a 14K earring
on the ground (saw it a week before and ignored it- thinking it was costume jewelry ) upon a
closer look , it turned out to be the real deal. I also found a sterling silver ring - with a garnet ,
that had been run over in a gravel parking lot (i was able to straighten it out on my ring mandrel )
Just a side note here - keep an eye out in the winter months , for where the snow plows deposit
all that snow in parking lots (ski areas !!!) because thats where all kinds of drops get pushed .
Go hit them in the spring - Also in the immediate area of car washes , there are vacuum stations ,
the bags of debris from the vacuums are often dumped into an enclosure on the property - you
may indeed be able to go over these dump areas with your detector - I have found tons of coin
in these ! there should be rings too . Argentium.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out hunting with Lakemonster today and in an area we had both gone over twice, I looked down and saw a Mercury staring at me. I couldn't believe it. I picked it up and something fell off of the back.....that something turned out to be a silver Rosie. So, a 1928 Merc and a 1948 Rosie stuck together on top of sugar sand.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
This summer while metal detecting a beach, I spotted a pair of black & silver sunglasses on top of the sand. Turned out to be a Calvin Klein style that retails for $110, and must've been dropped the same day or another beachgoer would've already picked them up. My husband spotted a glasses case in the street a few weeks later and plucked it up before a car ran over it. Inside the case were very stylish Ventoux sunglasses worth $70. He reported his find to the office of the nearby public tennis courts but as they weren't claimed, we each have a new pair of quality sunglasses. Ironically, I like my $20 drugstore pair better than the bulky Calvin Kleins, so will probably give them away.

This habit of looking down only began when I started metal detecting, as all my life before then I've been looking up instead at trees, clouds and birds --- quite a shift in walking style!
HH to all! Andi

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
Great thread Chukers ! I haven't found too many "groundies" lately , but I have found a Barber
dime on top- in a park where trenches for new irrigation had been dug, I found a 14K earring
on the ground (saw it a week before and ignored it- thinking it was costume jewelry ) upon a
closer look , it turned out to be the real deal. I also found a sterling silver ring - with a garnet ,
that had been run over in a gravel parking lot (i was able to straighten it out on my ring mandrel )
Just a side note here - keep an eye out in the winter months , for where the snow plows deposit
all that snow in parking lots (ski areas !!!) because thats where all kinds of drops get pushed .
Go hit them in the spring - Also in the immediate area of car washes , there are vacuum stations ,
the bags of debris from the vacuums are often dumped into an enclosure on the property - you
may indeed be able to go over these dump areas with your detector - I have found tons of coin
in these ! there should be rings too . Argentium.

Thanks... I am looking everywhere now... I found a ring silver ring too just walking down the road... I can't believe it was there... it was smashed too.

Attachments

• smring.JPG
    smring.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,236
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
g-olden years said:
This summer while metal detecting a beach, I spotted a pair of black & silver sunglasses on top of the sand. Turned out to be a Calvin Klein style that retails for $110, and must've been dropped the same day or another beachgoer would've already picked them up. My husband spotted a glasses case in the street a few weeks later and plucked it up before a car ran over it. Inside the case were very stylish Ventoux sunglasses worth $70. He reported his find to the office of the nearby public tennis courts but as they weren't claimed, we each have a new pair of quality sunglasses. Ironically, I like my $20 drugstore pair better than the bulky Calvin Kleins, so will probably give them away.

This habit of looking down only began when I started metal detecting, as all my life before then I've been looking up instead at trees, clouds and birds --- quite a shift in walking style!
HH to all! Andi

I found some Ray-Bans in the surf one time along with a $5 bill... I cleaned up the glasses and sold them on feeBay for $35!

Keep looking!

Chukers

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While out with Roland58 yesterday....

I found 2 $20 bills and 2 $5 dollar bills blown up into the weeds. We got one strange huntin spot.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lakemonster said:

I found 2 $20 bills and 2 $5 dollar bills blown up into the weeds. We got one strange huntin spot.

Saaaweeeet!

rjs123

Dec 14, 2009
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Deep Tech Vista Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to find silver on top! Congrats!

A couple years ago I was detecting an 1848 house. I found an 1864 2 cent piece in really nice shape just laying on the ground. I think it had been turned over by someone digging to put in some bricks around a tree and the soil washed away from it leaving it there for me to eyeball. Found other coins there too in the ground. Seated dime and some indians.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
Lakemonster said:

Saaaweeeet!

this is ot my ground find a buddy i was with doing a helio load out to tex found 350 bucks blowning around on the snow next to hwy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread