chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time I find coins on top of the ground as I am sure you all have too... even more rare is finding an older coin on top of the ground... well I did just that tonight... I got a quarter signal ad 0 inches!!! at first I thought it was a can but the signal was so clean so I looked down and I said... naa that can't be on top of the ground... nooooo that can't be a quarter... well I was wrong... just bend over and pick it up!

Every time I find a keeper like this I wonder how long its been sitting there like that!

Tell us of your "on top of the ground" finds too! I am very interested in knowing your story too!

Chukers

Attachments

• top 1.JPG
    top 1.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 3,221
  • top 2.JPG
    top 2.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 3,223
  • top 3.JPG
    top 3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 3,202
  • top 4.JPG
    top 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,197
Upvote 0

Bulldog1948

Jan 2, 2011
SE Ohio
Detector(s) used
GC 1036- Gold Digger
We own a small concession biz. One day, I was looking under the table curtains and found a $50 bill. No one ever returned to claim it.
And, I always pick up stray pennies. Old saying "pennies make $$$". Save'm and rollem.

Mike :coffee2:

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Great thread!!! My only silver coin surface find was in September when I had traveled to Chicago to hunt with my buddies. We were at a park and inside the woodline I got a dime signal on the surface. I figured it was clad. I moved the leaves and there it was, a mercury dime. That was the same day I dug my only seated half dollar. I could do no wrong that day.

The most paper money I have ever found was in a refinery earlier this year. We were walking out and I had forgot my coat. I started walking back and looked down and saw a dollar folded up. I picked it up and it had friends. I unfolded it and there was $22.00 dollars all total. Not a bad ending to a work day. TMAN...

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found many treasures with my eyes. The best was found as we were leaving a NM Happydonalds. I went to kick what I thought was a metalic candy wrapper, instead of flying away it went thud. Looked down and it was a 33 gr gold nugget money clip.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fall Is such a great time for Eyeball Finds Especially early in the Morning Saturday and Sunday After the Wind Was Howling!!!!

Best Find 7 100 dollar bills!!!! ;D ;D ;D

If you have good eyes You can Spot a bill from 10 feet away blowing in the breeze with the leaves HH and Keep your eyes open!!!!

down the Street from bars and Restaurants Are A Gold Mine Sometimes!!! Haven't done it In awhile This Post reminded Me of it!!! Chug

CongDude

Sep 6, 2008
Personally I have found a 1916 merc and my first Indian head on top of the ground - nothing impressive- but my eagle eye 6 year old daughter finds more things on the ground than I ever have.

First it was a 14k child's bracelet in the target parking lot. Then one night I notice she was drawing pictures with a very unusual pen. I looked at it and immediately recognized the Mont Blanc top and asked her where she got it. "I found it on the ground at the pumpkin patch daddy" she says. Turns out it is a very valuable Agatha Christie pen with a silver snake clip and ruby eyes.

She is always finding modern coins too which go right into her piggy bank.

She still is learning to detect - the digging part is not too fun yet- but she enjoys watching daddy dig up lot of clad.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
Fall Is such a great time for Eyeball Finds Especially early in the Morning Saturday and Sunday After the Wind Was Howling!!!!

Best Find 7 100 dollar bills!!!! ;D ;D ;D

If you have good eyes You can Spot a bill from 10 feet away blowing in the breeze with the leaves HH and Keep your eyes open!!!!

down the Street from bars and Restaurants Are A Gold Mine Sometimes!!! Haven't done it In awhile This Post reminded Me of it!!! Chug

What I notice is that they flutter in the wind differently than anything else... that is what I notice.

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a really good night detecting... not quality wise... but quantity it was a great night... and I like have those kind of nights every once in a while.

this time I found...
12 Quarters
22 dimes
3 Nickles
28 pennies
1 Key
Solid Brass Handle (1.275 lbs) (75 cents in Brass)

now the reason I posted it here too is all the shiny ones.... were all on top of the ground or just covered with leaves or grass!

Chukers

Attachments

• Clad.JPG
    Clad.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,121

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brit gold tin foil

From the land of the Bluenose......that field had just been plowed a few days before Special K and I did his field. Was swinging the trusty Freedom 3 Plus at the edge of the field along the "moat" when I noticed what appeared to me to be gold tin foil. reached down picked it up and called to Special K saying.... "Jim what type of wine is this tin foil off?" He grabbed it went pale and said......"That's gold hammie you luvky bugger." Turned out to be henry V! Love me yearly jaunts over to Special K's back yard youz!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Brit gold tin foil

leslie(nova scotia) said:
From the land of the Bluenose......that field had just been plowed a few days before Special K and I did his field. Was swinging the trusty Freedom 3 Plus at the edge of the field along the "moat" when I noticed what appeared to me to be gold tin foil. reached down picked it up and called to Special K saying.... "Jim what type of wine is this tin foil off?" He grabbed it went pale and said......"That's gold hammie you luvky bugger." Turned out to be henry V! Love me yearly jaunts over to Special K's back yard youz!

ok you'll have to rephrase that... are you saying they used gold tin foil on bottles of wine back in the Henry V era? Is that what you found?

chukers

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the the replies... I do enjoy a long thread sand the subject matter is a plus!

Can't wait for another!

Chukers

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a number of surface finds over the years. My most recent was my most valuable. I was detecting a lowered lake swimming beach. I got a signal and looked where the coil was responding. Right there on the surface was a mens gold band! I was lucky enough to get it on video. When I picked it up, you could see where the exposed edge had been sandblasted from the wind. Many people had walked within feet or inches of this rings over numerous weeks, but none had looked down at it!.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck, man my surface finds are nothing compared to what everyone else has found, kind of makes me feel silly even saying that the only surface find I've found was actually Saturday, it was a 1932 I think glass bottle. I'll do a quick vid & show you later, not around my laptop, so can't do a picture. But I'd like to know what you think. Adrian

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Back in the 50's I found a $5 gold coin under a large oak on an abandon estate next to a stream right on the surface.
This summer I was leaving the bank walking across the lot and there it was a new dollar bill about 10 feet from my truck. I could see my name on it ! LOL Frank

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iCandy said:
Chuck, man my surface finds are nothing compared to what everyone else has found, kind of makes me feel silly even saying that the only surface find I've found was actually Saturday, it was a 1932 I think glass bottle. I'll do a quick vid & show you later, not around my laptop, so can't do a picture. But I'd like to know what you think. Adrian

Bottles are treasure too... what this thread has shown me is too look for treasure where ever you go... I am in the process of doing an experiment with this thread in mind and when the results are in I'll post it here... it should be quite interesting... love to see your video!

Chukers

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Several years back; I was doing brush control along a parkway. My foot slid on the bank and was stopped behind a tree by a case of old forester.. Bob

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Bob--can a case of old forester be cured with a stiff dose of penicillin or does it take amputation? It is my birthday today, and being much older than I used to be, I need to be aware of some of this stuff.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
sounds like theDigger got into the case! Frank

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Back in the 50's I found a $5 gold coin under a large oak on an abandon estate next to a stream right on the surface.
This summer I was leaving the bank walking across the lot and there it was a new dollar bill about 10 feet from my truck. I could see my name on it ! LOL Frank

GOLD? COIN? on top f the ground? Jeeze I haven't found one ever!.... yet... nice find. but 60 years ago I bet they were a bit more abundant!

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread