Need Advise

Guitarman

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2006
I am in the market for a Whites M6, MXT, or XLT (haven't quite decided yet).

My questions is: Does anyone know a reputable Whites Dealer they would suggest? My local dealer only sells at the MSRP. Is the normal? I guess I was under the impression that you could score one of these nicer units for about $100 less than retail.

Maybe I'm way off base here. Any suggestions? Is it really worth paying MSRP and dealing locally?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Some of us prefer buying from a local dealer because we like to establish some type of rapport with him (in case we have questions about the machine or places to detect, or we have a warranty/mechanical question, or we like having somebody we can talk with about metal detecting). Some of us prefer to save some money and buy online.

For any newbie, I strongly recommend buying from a local dealer. You might spend more upfront, but the possible advantages of dealing with a local guy could more than cover the extra initial expenditure. A local dealer will probably show you how to get started with your machine. He might give you ideas about some places to hunt. He might know about a local club. He might have accessories that you'd want or need immediately or later on. He might be able to put you in contact with another detectorist so that you have a hunting buddy. OR he might just make the sale and you'll never see or talk with him again. LOL Who knows?

Yes, it is common for a local dealer to charge MSRP because they don't have a large volume of sales.

Like all other expenses in life, we just have to take a gamble and do what feels "right" to us as the purchasers. I don't know how close your nearest dealer is to you. Maybe he's 200 miles away and the cost of gas plus the MSRP of the machine just add up to too much money. Maybe an online purchase is what you need to do so that you don't exceed your budget.

Think of the decision this way: How many OTHER things do you tend to buy through the internet? Is it common for you to buy things sight-unseen? Or are you a hands-on kinda person? I personally like to touch and examine anything I buy that costs more than 200 dollars. If, however, you are already familiar with the fit and feel of a particular model, you could save some money by going the internet purchase route.

It all depends on your comfort zone and your budget. Good luck. Hope we see some of your finds posted on TNet real soon.

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Guitarman,

I would contact Greg Moscini in Foster City, CA. Not sure on your location but he's been a White's Dealer for A LONG TIME! He can get you hooked up AND he HELPS you AFTER the SALE!!!!!!!

You can email him at: [email protected]
and Call him at: 650-574-2012 Cell: 650-346-2848

Make sure and tell him Ian(SouthCarolinaTeacher) sent ya!

Ian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread