The art of landing and keeping a hunting site?

P

Pistol_Pete

Hello All
I Recently joined TreasureNet and enjoy the friendly people and learning about this intriguing hobby. Tomorrow I am headed to a dealer to get my first machine and can not wait to start hunting. For the past few weeks I have been scoping out spots to hunt and have found plenty of old abandoned schoolhouses and Churches. I know how to locate the owners, my questions is how do I approach the owner. How do I convince him or her that I will not leave the yard looking like a prairie dog town. How do I back that up, what tools and techniques do I use to leave the yard in the condition I found it in(close as possible)?

Thanks

Upvote 0

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First practice in your own yard with the right tools. Dont wait to tear up someone elses property.
Get the right tools ahead of time and learn how, when and why to use them.

When approaching another, pretend you are a door-to-door salesman. Unlike the salesman, you arent asking for money, but you want to take something from him, nonetheless. You can't sugar coat that.

Remember: "It's never about what you want - its about what they want."
Let's delve into it from this point of view, shall we?

From his point of view, here's some guy, banging on the door wanting to search for potentially valuable items (why else would he BE here?) and then expecting to leave with them when he's done. You leaving holes might then become the least of his worries.

You can hope it doesn't happen that way - it doesnt always. Some folks are pretty casual and you might be just another in a long line of eager beaver detectorists to have bothered the guy (after all if you can see these places, so can others). Some people, however, are pretty cagey and it doesn't take them long to figure out why you've come. An abiding love of your fellow man will come in handy at times like these.

Sooner or later, though, someone will ask the DREADED QUESTION: What if you find something good/valuable/worth alot of money? Derivatives of this are:
Who gets what?
How can I trust you?
What do you think you'll find? (often accompanied by sideways glances and much mental calculating going on behind a poker face).

The answer is simple, the practice of it one of your greatest challenges. Here it is:
Be the first to offer value.

"Huh? Value? What do I have to offer?," you ask.

First, credentials, of course! Nearly everyone is moved by credentials; even the lowly business card counts here, so make some on your computer. Join your state and local historical society, or what have you, and make that known - put it on your card. Offer to donate whatever you find to the museum in their name.

Know something of his property and why it is significant. Tell him some of the fruits of your research. Most folks have some hand me down info, but few details to flesh out these snippets. Offer him a written synopsis of the properties history, signed by you as researcher. Lots of folks warm to the idea that they may be the stewards of some significant piece of history, especially if they didn't know it! Besides, you dont have much else to offer, except to loot and pillage his property and then dissapear into the crowd.

If you don't have two detectors, now is the time to get a second - before you bang on his door. Good used ones can be had for $150-$200 and you should get one. Not some El Cheapo, either, but one you'd use. Then you can just about kill any of his objections by saying, "Hey, John, why don't you join me?? I have an extra detector I use as my personal backup in the truck and you're welcome to join in the fun..."

Now, here is some powerful psychology! You ARENT some pirate after all, but rather a buddy, offering comraderie and diversion from HIS drudging, work-a-day world. How can you be conniving him when you are willing to share like that??

Eventually, you have to close the deal. Might as well start from the beginning to do that. Use phrases like:
"John, when we recover something"....
"Giving me permission, John, assures you"...
Would it be better if I come around on the weekends, John?" ...
You'll be amazed at the trash I'm gonna find, John!" (said with a chuckle)...

Note the difference between these and "Pleeeze, pretty pleeze, will you let me?..."

While you're at it, keep a mountain of dug trash in your pouch - DONT throw that stuff away. When they want to see what you find, show them. ;)

I also suggest you avoid words like treasure, digging, old coins, jewelry, caches or valuable(s), goodies, relics.
Instead use words like, artifacts, items, recovery, pastime, hobby, etc.

Does all this work, all the time? NO, of course not. Some folks are unsellable at the moment of approach.
There is a thing in the sales business called the "Buying Cycle." When people are in the "A" phase of the cycle, they are eager and willing to buy. It's like all the planets quickly align at once. Salespeople call such buyers, "flops" ... for the sound their checkbook makes when it hits the counter top! Take your next tax return or bonus check and head to Best Buys - that's the "A" cycle! Most folks being approached by an uninvited saleman jump right into the "D" cycle, on the other hand - their first response is NO. They cross their arms tightly and stand quartered to you. It's okay. Patience Buck-o, there is always tomorrow.

Remember his name and address, send him a post card now and then. He'll remember you and why you are keeping in touch; that's okay, too. If you learn something new about his property, call him up. Or drop by to show him some of the "artifacts" you've found elsewhere, now and then.
(But not he entire cache of silver dollars you found - one will do!)

See, much has to do with your attitude. BE casual and cavalier - youre just looking to pass the time a little in YOUR drudging, work-a-day world. Its your way of relieving stress, right?

In the end, consider yourself merely an interested, and interesting, hobbyist with a detector, who likes to poke around here and there and turn up a few odds and ends, an artifact or two. He will likely do the same.
copyright 2006, dahut Inc.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Dahut you said a mouthful and could'nt have been more "right on the money". Nicely said.
Mike in NJ

T

TreasureTales

dahut, that was a great post!!!

Being a little more...uh...what?...LAZY!!! or EAGER to get on with the hunt, I'll usually say something very direct, short, and in a most humble manner: Hello, my name is Mike and my HOBBY is metal detecting. Would you allow me to metal detect your property/front yard?

Then if there is an uncomfortable pause, I'll continue with a little more info about me and my technique: I'll remove all the trash I recover AND you'll probably never even notice that I was here because I fill all holes (if I even have to dig holes, usually I can pop stuff out with a screwdriver). I'll probably be finished within one hour. You can watch if you like.

My success rate with this simple and direct style is about 75%. If I can't find the owner at home, I'll write a letter and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope so that they can reply. If I don't hear back from them in about 2 weeks, I give up.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
TreasureTales said:
dahut, that was a great post!!!

Being a little more...uh...what?...LAZY!!! or EAGER to get on with the hunt, I'll usually say something very direct, short, and in a most humble manner: Hello, my name is Mike and my HOBBY is metal detecting. Would you allow me to metal detect your property/front yard?

Then if there is an uncomfortable pause, I'll continue with a little more info about me and my technique: I'll remove all the trash I recover AND you'll probably never even notice that I was here because I fill all holes (if I even have to dig holes, usually I can pop stuff out with a screwdriver). I'll probably be finished within one hour. You can watch if you like.

My success rate with this simple and direct style is about 75%. If I can't find the owner at home, I'll write a letter and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope so that they can reply. If I don't hear back from them in about 2 weeks, I give up.

just curious treasuretales, what is your success rate with the letters?

T

TreasureTales

hollowpointred, my success rate with letters is 66%. I've written about 9 letters in all these years and about 1/3 of them were not answered. I have never gotten a negative reply returned, just NO REPLY with a third of them. I also make sure that I ask just one question in my letters..."May I use my metal detecter at your property, located at __________?" That's to keep things simple and so that the property owner knows I'm asking permission and want a written answer. Then I'll also state that they can choose the time and date of my hunt, if they so desire.

OP
OP
P

Pistol_Pete

Dahut I appreciate the time you put into that well written response. I like the idea of donating the valuable finds rather than giving him the take. What about city owned public property in cities that do not have metal detecting laws? Do you just go hunt or ask and let them tell you to bring it up at a city council meeting so they can make a law against it?

T

TreasureTales

Pete, on city property you can call the local police department or parks department and ask if detecting is permitted. Or you can just give it a try and see if you get arrested!!!! lol Not likely. Don't even bring up the possibility of returning lost items UNLESS the cops bring it up first.

I often metal detect on city/county lands and have never been run out by law enforcement or any other official. There is an ordinance against damaging city property, so I don't dig holes in the lawns. I use a long screwdriver and flip the target out of the ground.

There are all kinds of places to detect that don't require prior permission, although familiarity with the local laws is recommended. As I said, just call the police department, or the parks department or the school office/superintendent of public instruction.

If you're somewhat shy, like many of us were/are...just go to the bark boxes and start there. As you become more accustomed to people talking to you (and they will, especially children), you'll feel more confident in asking for permission when you see an interesting place to hunt.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there is a municipal code against it, I just go to it. I have never been rebuffed in all my years.

Some few cities have permitting and other sundry controls they impose on the peaceful enjoyment of your pastime. But that is normally in the "taxpayers best interest," as I understand the pitch they use - and it isnt usual.

You can handle this one of two ways:
1. Just go for it, as 'tis easier to get forgiveness than permission, most of the time.
2. Call the local code office and ask the simple question: "Is detecting allowed on city property?"
For the most part, a "Huh? Duh...what?" sort of response is the likliest youll get. Most people really cant relate to this pastime. When I called my muni-code office they said,

"Oh, you mean one of those thingies you see old men with at the beach?"
"Yes," I said, and sighed.
"No, we got nothing I know of. Have a nice day."

Pretty typical from what I hear from others, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread