Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: VDI charts

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2013
    Ohio
    Fisher 1265-X Garrett AT Pro Garrett Pro Pointer Lesche Digger
    Metal Detecting

Question VDI charts

I'm close to choosing a new detector to get back into coin hunting after many years but have a question. I see "VDI" charts on different models and wondered if these were developed by actual coins found in the ground or if they can be determined from air tests or self-buried coins. I'm really excited about getting back into it and am antsy for something to do until the ground thaws here in Ohio. Thanks.

us
    Apr 2010
    NC
    Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
    62 times
    Relic Hunting
    Don't trust any VDI chart. Dig based on quality of target sound.
    Sandman, Keppy and CurlysGold like this.
    Dwight S
    Anyone up for some Dirt Fishin?

Jan 2013
    258 times
    I have a Whites XLT and use the VDI numbers to accurately identify targets before I dig. You can use icons to identify the VDI that the manufacturer has set. However, a coin that has been in the ground for some time has a halo that makes it easier to detect and more accurately identify. Once you get your detector then you will learn to match the VDI with targets that you actually dig up. I have VDI's for wheats, zinc pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. If I detect a coin, identify the correct VDI, pin point it as a coin sized target and show a real depth, I am very successful at knowing what I am going to dig. Here's a tip. When everything else seems right but the depth reads 00, it is a pipe driven straight into the ground. HH

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    " I don't always use VDI, but when I do, I prefer White's XLT. Dig wisely, my friends"

us
    Jan 2013
    Ohio
    Metal Detecting

Exclamation

Thanks for the info.....its been 20 years since I hunted and it was with my Fisher 1265-X that no longer works. I'm trying to learn all I can about the new toys before I take the plunge. Am close to ordering an AT Pro and am pretty excited about getting back into it.

Jan 2013
    258 times
    The AT Pro looks like a nice machine. It has some custom adjustments which I enjoy. Congratulations in advance! HH

" I don't always use VDI, but when I do, I prefer White's XLT. Dig wisely, my friends"

us
    Jan 2010
    Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
    Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
    101 times
    Prospecting - Gold and Silver
    One of the problems with trusting your VDI is that there is often trash near your target (sometimes right next to it) and that alters the conductivity that the VDI is displaying. As a result, what looks like trash on the VDI may be an old silver coin or a valuable ring. It just may be next to a wad of aluminum foil or a handful of nails (I see thousands of rusty nails littered all over rotted away home sites in the Colorado mountains). Odds are good you might get different readings depending on which direction your coil sweep is - which often is a clue to dig and see what your target really is. I also have to deal with ground balance issues (lots of heavy mineralization where I hunt), which tends to vary a lot as a result of the earth being moved around because of people living there and disturbing the soil a long time ago.

I can tell you from experience that I have followed people that trust their VDI and skipped targets that I dug up and found something valuable - it takes me longer, but I would rather have the target than come home with nothing.

I do a lot of relic hunting - and in those cases, the VDI reading is often meaningless as you really don't know what you will find, so the VDI value needs to be ignored, depending on how many nails and other old home hardware you are encountering.

This is why there are successful MD users with the Tesoro units that don't have any VDI meters on them - I listen to the sounds from my detector and work from there. There is nothing wrong with using a VDI, however I find that it often tells me things that are meaningless because it has no way to correct for targets that are comprised of multiple items (good right next to trash). If you are headed for an area that has been heavily detected, the good targets that were skipped are likely to fall into that category.
    Ism likes this.
    Whites GMT, Whites GM Vsat, Whites 5900, Gold Mountain King Cobra, Bounty Hunter 3300

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    1891 times
    The VDI # is basically the amount of returned signal. Each metal returns a certain amount of signal per volume of metal. The manufacturers use the return of coins to calibrate the VDI numbers listed for coins. These #s are only accurate for coins. The problem with the VDI #s for certain metals is that they change with size of metal. In other words the identity of the target is a guess. My Whites XLT will correctly ID a quarter every time if , in fact, the target is a quarter, but if it is a brass washer of slightly larger size, it might think it is a quarter. Once you get use to the readouts for coins you will find it is more accurate than tones because there are few people with perfect pitch recognition. Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-1 profile.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	726006

us
    Nov 2012
    Cincinnati Ohio
    White's V3i / Garrett AT Pro
    625 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I catch myself cherry picking by VDI all the time. This weekend I dug a target that read 49 in multiple directions, I never dig anything below 50 usually. I only decided to dig because it was in the front yard of a 1920 house. It was a 1938 Mercury dime in perfect condition sitting on edge. Makes me wonder how much silver I have passed up.

us
    Jan 2013
    Ohio
    Metal Detecting
    Well I gotta admit I didn't spend quality time with it years ago and never felt very confident, digging up about every blip I heard that resulted in lots of junk. Now that I'm retired I'd like to get as good as I can but am not sure of the best way to learn other than spend lots of time listening and digging. I'm sure the new technology results in better odds of finding good stuff but there's a big learning curve.

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Vaquero
    995 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I pretty much go by sound vs VDI, because I think sound is more reliable. The Xterra is great on both, but their sounds ID is fantastic.

LRL fraud debunked

Dec 2010
    ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
    BS detector
    228 times
    Underground detection
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiodigger1950 View Post
    I'm close to choosing a new detector to get back into coin hunting after many years but have a question. I see "VDI" charts on different models and wondered if these were developed by actual coins found in the ground or if they can be determined from air tests or self-buried coins. I'm really excited about getting back into it and am antsy for something to do until the ground thaws here in Ohio. Thanks.
    VDI charts are determined by air testing. It can't be done with "in-ground" testing because ground is a variable which influences the target ID reading.

--Dave J.

Jan 2013
    258 times
    Hi Ohiodigger1950

While I have managed to recover my share of old coins and treasure, I decided years ago that "digging" wasn't fun for me. I now have as much fun using my machine to correctly identify targets as I do finding coins. I have a Whites XLT and I go out to have fun! I use the tone ID for general searching. When I hear a possible good target I use pin point to determine the size. Coins are small and a lot of junk (brass fittings and copper pipes) can be eliminated by size. I then take VDI readings as I swing the coil and circle the target. I am looking for very crisp numbers in a very narrow range. This lets me know what might be down there and is the most accurate way I know. I then check the DC phase trying to read only the buried target. I also check the depth. A viable depth reading helps confirm my readings. (Deeper targets give lower VDI readings) A 00 depth reading is usually a pipe driven into the ground. At this point I will usually dig positive numbers around 17-19 nickels, and the higher numbers for pennies, dimes, etc. This may seem like a lot of effort but usually only takes a minute. I enjoy running my machine and love it when I dig what I correctly thought was down there. HH

us
    May 2012
    PA
    Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
    117 times
    Metal Detecting
    It is all about those Good Repeatable Signals...TONES TONES TONES...My safair hits on 39 for a quarter everytime..plus the tone it lets out is an awesome solid signal.

Jan 2013
    258 times
    You have an awesome machine! I agree, Mine Lab is all about tones! HH

us
    Jan 2013
    Ohio
    Metal Detecting
    Great tips, Twinkletoes! I've been reading lots of threads on different sites, watching videos and looking at owners manuals to determine what I want to buy and what to do with it when it arrives. I enjoyed digging up unknown items years ago but would like to learn better techniques to focus on coins and jewelry. I appreciate all the feedback and welcome any additional tips to maximize using the VDI style machines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors