Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a rusty beat-up old trowel that I found in my yard...It bends every time I cut a plug with it, and I have to bend it back into shape. Right now it looks like a crumpled piece of paper. ...After reading your posts it will be reverently retired for now....

As it should be. That is what I meant when I advise using purpose built tools. When you consider that you are lliterally breaking new ground each time you bring a target from the earth, you can easily see why cheap, worn out or compromise diggin tools can leave you wanting.

Your average garden trowel is for tilled earth. Most often, that ISNT whats found when detecting.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you guys all love to make your digging difficult here!!

I use a simple old hickory handled kitchen knife. They can usually be had at yard sales for a quarter or so. Mine has an 8" blade on it and is exactly 12" long. Perfect for measuring how deep of holes I am digging. Just stick it in the ground and twist it around to make a nice, clean, deep plug. All of the guys I hunt with use them as well. They have all used fancy diggers and I've tried other methods, but the knife is the best one so far. My blade is about an inch and a half across and not some cheap little flimsy blade and the blade continues through the length of the handle.

But for the beach I would recommend spending the money on a GOOD SCOOP so that you aren't wasting it on scoops that will break.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Hickory-Ont...7QQihZ008QQcategoryZ11660QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is the kind of knife I am talking about. You can buy them on ebay, but yard sales usually have them for dirt cheap.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where the differences between folks come in. I have tried knives of all kinds and my only comment on them is NO THANKS. Yes they work and what works for one guy may not for another. Im one of the latter blokes, considering them just a ppor compromise.

But whatever works.

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funkman said:
if you have a Lowes home center near you, go there and check out this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109355-44675-1065198&lpage=none

I bought this after bending 2 or 3 other trowels and this one has been a tough one. Have not bent it yet and I have come pretty close trying to wedge some big rocks out of a hole. It also had the serated edge for cutting roots and markings on it for depth, in case you want to measure how deep the item was found at.

Hope this helps for you

HH

Funkman
Thanks for this suggestion. I was at Lowe's today with my mom and I got one of these. I also got another without the serrated edge...I think it's a transplanting trowel.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Do like me,the best digging tool,is anyone you can get to go with you,It's amazing what your friends will do if they think there is treasure it that ground.Ronald99 ???

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I would be lost without my Treasure Wise 3 in 1 tool. I got it from my local MD store for $22.00 with the sheath.

Attachments

• twsheath.jpg
    twsheath.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 334

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
bscofield6 said:

I use a simple old hickory handled kitchen knife. They can usually be had at yard sales for a quarter or so. Mine has an 8" blade on it and is exactly 12" long. Perfect for measuring how deep of holes I am digging. Just stick it in the ground and twist it around to make a nice, clean, deep plug. All of the guys I hunt with use them as well. They have all used fancy diggers and I've tried other methods, but the knife is the best one so far. My blade is about an inch and a half across and not some cheap little flimsy blade and the blade continues through the length of the handle.

But for the beach I would recommend spending the money on a GOOD SCOOP so that you aren't wasting it on scoops that will break.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Hickory-Ont...7QQihZ008QQcategoryZ11660QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is the kind of knife I am talking about. You can buy them on ebay, but yard sales usually have them for dirt cheap.

knives like these do work well, but can scare the hell out of old ladies and small kids at the park! ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
bscofield6 said:

knives like these do work well, but can scare the hell out of old ladies and small kids at the park! ;D

Haha, but they also help you out when you are in a ghetto park.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
A digger I haven't used that sounds good is the Comfort weeder. Various online sites sell it for $13-$14 including shipping. The warranty may vary by dealer, at least one offered a lifetime warranty. It's an aluminum alloy tool, witha 7.5" blade that varies in width from an inch or so at top & tapered, & has a soft 6" handle. Just type weeder into a shopping engine like froogle. The advantage of aluminum alloy vs. steel is it's much less likely to scratch your finds. HH, George (MN)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• My Knife!.jpg
    My Knife!.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 261

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
i also use a huge old hunting knife. i do keep it hidden as it would scare the bejeesus out of anyone who doesnt know me. but i have cut countless holes with it. you can cut through anything and make extremely neat holes. its duller than a butterknife now but thats a good thing. i doubt i will ever have to buy a digging tool.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an old loaf of french bread :D

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what I use.

Attachments

• indexCAL52AOD.jpg
    indexCAL52AOD.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 215
  • indexCAL52AOD.jpg
    indexCAL52AOD.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 217

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pather said:
I have heard of people digging with screwdrivers, icepicks, and the usual garden shovel. i own at least one of each which would be best to use?

All the above. Be careful of screwdrivers and coin probes as they'll turn a $300 coin into A $3 with a scratch across a good coin. I have one I made of a brass rod epoxied in a gold ball. :D I use smaller tools in parks and lawns and the heavy artillery in the woods. The blue anodized shovel is an Alfanso Trematerra custom and would crack open Bradley vehicles. One of my favorite diggers is the Camillus Marine Fighting Knife in the lower right. I was "requested" not to carry that at a local park by a nice Sheriff. ::)

IM000843.jpg

I just ordered a Lesche #85 Digging Tool for this season. Treating myself.

LESHEHANDDIGGER2-195x310.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread