What to use for digging tool

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I have no idea what the best is, but my diggin tools have been getting smaller. I started with a short handled shovel, then a garden type of trowel, now I use a blade type of trowel I got at Target. It's a blade, scoop and saw blade for roots all in one. At the garden department, less than 10 bucks. Does me well.

DM

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
P,

lot of folks seem to like the expensive metal
detecting diggers.

For some reason I have been happy with just
a good garden trowel purchased at almost
any type of store.

What Dig said about a "saw blade for roots all in one"
is a must. I'm able to dig and cut with the same
digger. I also carry a small pruner for bigger roots,
and carry or have close by a wire type saw for the
really,really big roots. (thats the one where you can
slip it under the root and by pulling on each end you
will cut it)

Just my thoughts.

have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
if you have a Lowes home center near you, go there and check out this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109355-44675-1065198&lpage=none

I bought this after bending 2 or 3 other trowels and this one has been a tough one. Have not bent it yet and I have come pretty close trying to wedge some big rocks out of a hole. It also had the serated edge for cutting roots and markings on it for depth, in case you want to measure how deep the item was found at.

Hope this helps for you

HH

Funkman

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
red said:
The kids. one of them is always willing to dig a hole in the ground. ;D
I don't have kids... I'm like 14/15. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas. I told my mom to get me one when she goes to the store next.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I am one of those people who use the expensive diggers (Lesch, Gator, etc.). The reason is because I destroyed too many cheap tools and got tired of buying them over and over again. The garbage that comes from China will break in a heartbeat and when you are out in the field with a broken digger or knife you just get mad. I don't like getting mad so I spend a little more for piece of mind and I don't regret it.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
pather said:
Thanks for the ideas. I told my mom to get me one when she goes to the store next.

;D

No, no, no.

Your like 14-15 years old. You go or go with
your Mom and you pick it out(unless your Mom
will be doing the digging). Not just any
one will do. ;) These are important matters :)

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
pather said:

;D

No, no, no.

Your like 14-15 years old. You go or go with
your Mom and you pick it out(unless your Mom
will be doing the digging). Not just any
one will do. ;) These are important matters :)

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE
That's a better idea...My parents pay tho. ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i tried the home depot stuff and it will work for a while, but eventually it will break. they just arent designed for that kind of use. when you get sick of replacing it get a lesche. ;)

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pather
Happy New Year to you and yours

I have used almost every tool known to humans. The one item that seems to hold up for me is a US Army Bayonet. Yes they will break in frozen ground but they work very well in soil or rocky ground. If you have a Military surplus store near you they may have them. I also use a Spanish bayonet although the grip is not as easy to use it has a larger blade. I used one of the US Military survival knives but the blade breaks off at the handle. Expect to pay around $20 and make sure you get the sheath to go with the bayonet. You can also get a leather belt to put the sheath on, keeps it handy for use. If you have lots of tree roots to deal with you can cut them off with the blade. Be careful trying to hack your way through as you could damage a great find.
Go forth and prosper!
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THing4CSA said:
Hi Pather
Happy New Year to you and yours

I have used almost every tool known to humans. The one item that seems to hold up for me is a US Army Bayonet. Yes they will break in frozen ground but they work very well in soil or rocky ground. If you have a Military surplus store near you they may have them. I also use a Spanish bayonet although the grip is not as easy to use it has a larger blade. I used one of the US Military survival knives but the blade breaks off at the handle. Expect to pay around $20 and make sure you get the sheath to go with the bayonet. You can also get a leather belt to put the sheath on, keeps it handy for use. If you have lots of tree roots to deal with you can cut them off with the blade. Be careful trying to hack your way through as you could damage a great find.
Go forth and prosper!
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!
That's a good idea. My dad runs a survival website and he can get them. I'll try that. Happy New Year!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good ideas here, i was thinking bout using one of my bayonets also, only reason i didn`t attach it to my harness is cause im leary of how the police will view that. I mean walking down the beaches with a bayonet in its sheath in plain site anyone had any problems with being hassled ? On my assualt vest it would attach to one of the suspenders hanging down from my shoulders.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funkman, I use the transplanter version that Lowe's sells. Very strong tool and nice soft grips.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Target digger or one of those Lowes trowels - and a Wilcox 102 as backup, for when you break the one from Target.

Really, just like detectors, there are several uses for digging tools and several that fit the need. Much depends on your style. I have everything from an entrenching tool to a small plug popper digger. I use them all when the need calls for it. Heres my possibles bag, with the most used digging tools in the bottom left:

possibles bag.JPG

not shown is my entrenching tool.

Best overall, for most hunters? The Wilcox for value. The Lesche for "cool factor." Everything else is a compromise to which you will have to adapt, and usually only works well for one guy for his style of hunting.

Attachments

• possibles bag.JPG
    possibles bag.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 464
OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool...I've been using a rusty beat-up old trowel that I found in my yard, under leaves, with a detector. It bends every time I cut a plug with it, and I have to bend it back into shape. Right now it looks like a crumpled piece of paper. After reading your posts it will be reverently retired for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread