got into it with a cop yesterday

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was out at a small park messing around.....mind in my own business.....and this guy walks up in normal clothes...says he's a cop...I say "I don't belive you...lemme see some id " he shows me a really shiny badge and card. ( very pretty)...anyway conversation goes like this.....
Cop- what are you doing here son?
Me- - I'm just messing around with my metal detector
Cop - your not allowed to do that here
Me - well sir it isn't posted that I can't. It says nothing about it in the county laws. Why can't I do it here?
Cop - cause my kids play here and I don't want them seeing people like you....
Me - people like me? What the hell do you me people like me?
Cop - people digging up public property for no reason. It makes the city look bad
Me - dude...your telling me I make the city look bad but the f%&#in crack heads hanging out around the parks doesn't?!?!?!
Cop - my kids don't see that crap. You need to leave now.
Me - well I don't need to since there is no law about it....and your not in uniform...or in your cop car...so you really have no authority over me at the moment....
Cop - you better be gone when I get back...I'm going home to get my " citation book" ( whatever the hell that is)
Me - where do you live dude... imma run my detector in your front yard....( thinking I'm being funny)
Cop leaves I continue on my path to riches.....
He comes back!!!!!!!!!! And writes me a damn ticket!!!!!for tress passing ( which I will be fighting) and for arguing!!! I didn't know they can do that....what is this world coming to.....butt head cop.

So the moral of the story...I guess.....is I'm not as funny as I thought I was....really rather depressing if you think about it. Oh and now I'm going to be short $142.57 this week cause I can't keep my big mouth shut!

End rant.

Upvote 0

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out at a small park messing around.....mind in my own business.....and this guy walks up in normal clothes...says he's a cop...I say "I don't belive you...lemme see some id " he shows me a really shiny badge and card. ( very pretty)...anyway conversation goes like this.....
Cop- what are you doing here son?
Me- - I'm just messing around with my metal detector
Cop - your not allowed to do that here
Me - well sir it isn't posted that I can't. It says nothing about it in the county laws. Why can't I do it here?
Cop - cause my kids play here and I don't want them seeing people like you....
Me - people like me? What the hell do you me people like me?
Cop - people digging up public property for no reason. It makes the city look bad
Me - dude...your telling me I make the city look bad but the f%&#in crack heads hanging out around the parks doesn't?!?!?!
Cop - my kids don't see that crap. You need to leave now.
Me - well I don't need to since there is no law about it....and your not in uniform...or in your cop car...so you really have no authority over me at the moment....
Cop - you better be gone when I get back...I'm going home to get my " citation book" ( whatever the hell that is)
Me - where do you live dude... imma run my detector in your front yard....( thinking I'm being funny)
Cop leaves I continue on my path to riches.....
He comes back!!!!!!!!!! And writes me a damn ticket!!!!!for tress passing ( which I will be fighting) and for arguing!!! I didn't know they can do that....what is this world coming to.....butt head cop.

So the moral of the story...I guess.....is I'm not as funny as I thought I was....really rather depressing if you think about it. Oh and now I'm going to be short $142.57 this week cause I can't keep my big mouth shut!

End rant.
1st. Don't worry, just like a apt Mgr can't have a vehicle towed off the property if they park in a reserved tenents place unless it is posted AND THE SIZE AND LETTERING SIZE HAS TO BE WITHIN REGULATION CODE or the apts & tow Co. can get sued.
Not posting or a sign not posted does not give the right to inforce the law. I would take photos of the street posts and enterance if the park in case a city worker does the cop a favor and posts a sign or have a friend who will defend you in court to swear you both did a walk thru and no sign! CASE DISMISSED!
2nd. If the judge saw it is way you can in the appellate court file a complaint to the court stating the judge made his ruling with out evidence of a non-displayed posted sign and there was not any evidence of and defacing public property or damages what so ever. Also you can state the officer was bias and stased himself in his own words" I don't like your kind! The kind that digs up public property. I recommend a written answer to my complaint in writting by the officer involved or move that this case be dismissed. See You have nothing to worry about because you are within the rights of the law and for the law to be enforced it has to be under the rules of the WRITTEN LAW. (I am not a attorney and I am not practicing or receiving any payment, I am just a lowly citizen who has been informed of the laws thru my own personal experience of going "Pro-Per" representing myself in my own court cases in child custody/family law & traffic court where I have won in appellate court from a officer who did not see me go thru a red light and in court I asked where was I when the light was green, yellow & red. He said he did not remember so I requested the judge drop the case due to lack of proper servalience bit the judge said the officer does this for a living and is a professional...Guilty. I filed in the appellate court as a complaint against the judge for not taking into concideration the officer did not remember the damning facts of him not seeing me or remembering at all. the Officer 1. did not send in the answer to my complaint to my claim & 2. he was A NO SHOW! (Even if he did show he was limited to file an answer under so much time before court. So the ticket was dismissed and I received a compliment, no one ever filed and made their case before and is rare. I was happy because their is justice, you got to "Make your Case" and my friend you have the facts.(I would have asked for the officer to take me to where the sign is posted "Metal Detecting is not permitted" or "Not Prohibited") Done deal.
This is a piece of cake, not to worry. By the way if you go to 1st a hearing to make you plea guilty or not guilty, it's not a good idea to plea "With a explaniation" 90% I have seen Guilty. So (if) & WHEN YOU PLEAD NOT GUILTY, THE RIGHT AWAY ASK "PLEASE IF THE COURT WILL GRANT ME A STAY ON THE BAIL,1. i DONT HAVE THE MONEY AND 2. I MAY WISH IF FOUND GUILTY TO POSSIBLY DO COMMUNITY SERVICE, SO I WOULD REQUEST A STAY ON THE BAIL THEN IF FOUND GUILTY I WILL PAY THEN.
(1. 100% I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE BAIL,RIGHT THEN. 2.THEY DON'T HAVE TO HOLD MY MONEY, 3. I FEEL WHEN PEOPLE DO GO TO COURT & THE COURT HAS YOUR MONEY, THE JUDGE MAY FEEL, THEY HAVE IT, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MISS IT! AND THE COURT GETS TIED UP IN MAN HOURS OF REFUNDING YOUR MONEY BACK AND IT COSTS THE CITY!!! SO ASK FOR A "STAY ON THE BAIL" (Not Legal advice, but a Tip! & it works for me.) (Knowledge is power & the one who says a person who represents himself is a fool IS WRONG! A person who knows how to use the law and has the facts CAN make legal representitive a fool. In Court both attorneys are professionals but one always loses!) Peace. PT ME IF QUESTIONS. Mark "like" if ya like this!

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW you should win that case. On the ticket it should show the date,time and location of citatation. So it would show you where in a park and less there is a No Tresspassing in a park the ticket is boggess after you win the case then you need to file a lawsuite against the police department in small claims court to retrieve the money you loss spending time on this boggess charge even if you dont win his superior will at least get this lawsuit paperwork with his name on it

No, I wouldn't do that. And it's spelled "bogus".

Nor would I, in this case, write letter to his superior outlining what he did. If you stated the facts accurately, he has already embarrassed himself by his boss writing the letter. You've got the upper hand; don't over reach.

When he wrote you for trespassing, he had to specify a specific ordinance with specific language. You had to violate that language. I fail to see how you could be ticketed for trespass on public lands. Same for arguing with an officer. They can't make up the law, just ticket you for a specific violation.

Write a letter back to his superior politely thanking him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
1st. Don't worry, just like a apt Mgr can't have a vehicle towed off the property if they park in a reserved tenents place unless it is posted AND THE SIZE AND LETTERING SIZE HAS TO BE WITHIN REGULATION CODE or the apts & tow Co. can get sued.
Not posting or a sign not posted does not give the right to inforce the law. I would take photos of the street posts and enterance if the park in case a city worker does the cop a favor and posts a sign or have a friend who will defend you in court to swear you both did a walk thru and no sign! CASE DISMISSED!
2nd. If the judge saw it is way you can in the appellate court file a complaint to the court stating the judge made his ruling with out evidence of a non-displayed posted sign and there was not any evidence of and defacing public property or damages what so ever. Also you can state the officer was bias and stased himself in his own words" I don't like your kind! The kind that digs up public property. I recommend a written answer to my complaint in writting by the officer involved or move that this case be dismissed. See You have nothing to worry about because you are within the rights of the law and for the law to be enforced it has to be under the rules of the WRITTEN LAW. (I am not a attorney and I am not practicing or receiving any payment, I am just a lowly citizen who has been informed of the laws thru my own personal experience of going "Pro-Per" representing myself in my own court cases in child custody/family law & traffic court where I have won in appellate court from a officer who did not see me go thru a red light and in court I asked where was I when the light was green, yellow & red. He said he did not remember so I requested the judge drop the case due to lack of proper servalience bit the judge said the officer does this for a living and is a professional...Guilty. I filed in the appellate court as a complaint against the judge for not taking into concideration the officer did not remember the damning facts of him not seeing me or remembering at all. the Officer 1. did not send in the answer to my complaint to my claim & 2. he was A NO SHOW! (Even if he did show he was limited to file an answer under so much time before court. So the ticket was dismissed and I received a compliment, no one ever filed and made their case before and is rare. I was happy because their is justice, you got to "Make your Case" and my friend you have the facts.(I would have asked for the officer to take me to where the sign is posted "Metal Detecting is not permitted" or "Not Prohibited") Done deal.
This is a piece of cake, not to worry. By the way if you go to 1st a hearing to make you plea guilty or not guilty, it's not a good idea to plea "With a explaniation" 90% I have seen Guilty. So (if) & WHEN YOU PLEAD NOT GUILTY, THE RIGHT AWAY ASK "PLEASE IF THE COURT WILL GRANT ME A STAY ON THE BAIL,1. i DONT HAVE THE MONEY AND 2. I MAY WISH IF FOUND GUILTY TO POSSIBLY DO COMMUNITY SERVICE, SO I WOULD REQUEST A STAY ON THE BAIL THEN IF FOUND GUILTY I WILL PAY THEN.
(1. 100% I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE BAIL,RIGHT THEN. 2.THEY DON'T HAVE TO HOLD MY MONEY, 3. I FEEL WHEN PEOPLE DO GO TO COURT & THE COURT HAS YOUR MONEY, THE JUDGE MAY FEEL, THEY HAVE IT, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MISS IT! AND THE COURT GETS TIED UP IN MAN HOURS OF REFUNDING YOUR MONEY BACK AND IT COSTS THE CITY!!! SO ASK FOR A "STAY ON THE BAIL" (Not Legal advice, but a Tip! & it works for me.) (Knowledge is power & the one who says a person who represents himself is a fool IS WRONG! A person who knows how to use the law and has the facts CAN make legal representitive a fool. In Court both attorneys are professionals but one always loses!) Peace. PT ME IF QUESTIONS. Mark "like" if ya like this!

NICE!!!! That's the way I need to handle from here on. Thankfully it was dropped but I will remember these words of wisdom. Thanks for chiming in golden truth + 1 for some knowledge we should all read!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you sign it promising to appear in court ... or did you tell him to shove up his rectum?

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you call him a PUNK when he turned to walk away!?

give a person a badge and they instantly think they are better than all others. only met a couple cops in my life that were descent & humble people on or off duty.

L

l2hunt

wouldn't it be ironic if his kids saw you hunting and got them thinking about trying out the hobby? i think the cop let his personal feelings about diggers get in the way of his professionalism.... nothing like abuse of power when especially nothing is posted saying it's a no-no! when i'm out hunting i always see signs about picking up your dog's poop, but never seen one about the metal detecting! good luck fighting that ticket!!!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't read where he asked for ID .. Did he? Is your name on the ticket?

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have (if a city cop) requested he call in a Sheriff to assist in the situation while i call a Lawyer.
Right before i called him a PUNK.

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey....take it easy on the cops ha! I'm a metal detecting 5-0 ! Would I ever go home on my off time to get my ticket book to write a citation for metal detecting? Noooo....sounds like you ran into Super cop! I wouldn't listen to much of the legal advise on here...every state, county and city has their own laws and ordinances. Just know your laws and ordinances for your town. Generally arguing and playing lawyer on the side of the road never works out well. Sounds like you did the right thing and talked to his supervisor and got it dropped. HH

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was probably the skeery clown suit that freaked him out.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would not waste money on a lawyer for this small case of a Officer overstepping his bounds. He is suposed to be a servant of the people and our taxes pay him as well as the judges. I used to pick up shoplifters for a retired detective for Mayfair Food chains. I went into court and if you did not testify to have continued-full constant view from "When he bagged to exit of store" they threw the case out of court even though we brought store Mdse in with Perp. I had a LAPD retired Officer who was 5 foot tall,but he was a big man with a Snubnose 38! We Stopped John q. trapp of the Lakers years after he was on the team with Jerry West having the record of most win games still today! Mr. Trapp looked 7ft tall and taller to my 5 Ft Partner. We asked For the 4 Steaks "Stuffed in his waste-band back, he replied: what steaks? My buddy slapped the styrofoam Pkg and it went "Pop"! He said: what if I don't go in? You can't stop me! My friend opened his vest & Mr. Trap seeing the service revolver said: I'm Goin in!
My Partner said the only way to retire alive is when off duty leave your badge in the locker @work. If you hear a crime, leave it for who's on duty... & Dont have any PD ID on you in case you get robbed,(They don't pay enough to take this crap). Thats how you see retirement by not being a target!
Now the cop who bothers people when there is not an apparent crime should have his head examined before it's too late. Ego trips get people killed. The justice system has not been fair at times and "Blind" of truth & sometimes to facts or reason. when "Back Room Deals" & Plea bargans are made That many times lets officers who wish to do things right let down.(Reason I changed careers) I learned you can't save the world and those who play superman & God are fools. They are the ones who don't trust anybody and have to sleep with their guns in bed, Sad for them. So stand up for your rights and it may help this officer learn, He may not get fired but I'm sure he will get the facts read to him after his cheif gets wind of his activity and he will be told to slack off from bothering decent law abiding citizens & harmless hobbys.

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yea it all worked out for the best. The supervisor let it go and trashed the citation. I really don't have I'll feelings anymore. The cop was just doing what he felt he needed, even if it was wrong. I'm sure he will get an ear full when he clocks in. I don't want him to get in trouble. Just would like to see him treat people with a bit more respect. I'm a tattoo artist...I pay taxes both with my shop and with my home taxes. I like to think I help pay his salary....I also hope he learns not to judge a book by the cover...I may look suspect but I have no fear of the "law" or what they want to try to enforce. Both my parents are attorneys as well as my sister....I know my rights as a citizen. Which is why I took the citation to his supervisor.Thnk you guys for all of your support and advise. Much love to all!

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On another note...how are the parks over there working out for you? Any silver? I'm over here near Madison

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank i would have kicked his teeth out i hate bullies

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think of this, Maybe He was tired Of Hearing His Kids Say, He Has A Metal Detector!!! That Would Be Cool !!! I Want A Metal detector!!!! Dad Buy Us One!!!

If He Ever Bugs You again, Tell Him If he Cant Afford One, Someone On Treasurenet Might have An Extra one to Help His Kids Out With One!!! HH Chug

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
On another note...how are the parks over there working out for you? Any silver? I'm over here near Madison

Smugglersbluez...hey I haven't been doing it very long....I really would like to have someone kinda show me the ropes....we should get together sometime. I'm right by the academy sports on Atlanta highway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread