got into it with a cop yesterday

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was out at a small park messing around.....mind in my own business.....and this guy walks up in normal clothes...says he's a cop...I say "I don't belive you...lemme see some id " he shows me a really shiny badge and card. ( very pretty)...anyway conversation goes like this.....
Cop- what are you doing here son?
Me- - I'm just messing around with my metal detector
Cop - your not allowed to do that here
Me - well sir it isn't posted that I can't. It says nothing about it in the county laws. Why can't I do it here?
Cop - cause my kids play here and I don't want them seeing people like you....
Me - people like me? What the hell do you me people like me?
Cop - people digging up public property for no reason. It makes the city look bad
Me - dude...your telling me I make the city look bad but the f%&#in crack heads hanging out around the parks doesn't?!?!?!
Cop - my kids don't see that crap. You need to leave now.
Me - well I don't need to since there is no law about it....and your not in uniform...or in your cop car...so you really have no authority over me at the moment....
Cop - you better be gone when I get back...I'm going home to get my " citation book" ( whatever the hell that is)
Me - where do you live dude... imma run my detector in your front yard....( thinking I'm being funny)
Cop leaves I continue on my path to riches.....
He comes back!!!!!!!!!! And writes me a damn ticket!!!!!for tress passing ( which I will be fighting) and for arguing!!! I didn't know they can do that....what is this world coming to.....butt head cop.

So the moral of the story...I guess.....is I'm not as funny as I thought I was....really rather depressing if you think about it. Oh and now I'm going to be short $142.57 this week cause I can't keep my big mouth shut!

End rant.

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wass the cops name "Barney Fife" by chance? Rediculous!

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I know right.....its something.... my fav part is when he asked me what I was doing.....WHAT THE HELL DOES IT LOOK LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't get it.....btw....I'm going back today. Lmao

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out at a small park messing around.....mind in my own business.....and this guy walks up in normal clothes...says he's a cop...I say "I don't belive you...lemme see some id " he shows me a really shiny badge and card. ( very pretty)...anyway conversation goes like this.....
Cop- what are you doing here son?
Me- - I'm just messing around with my metal detector
Cop - your not allowed to do that here
Me - well sir it isn't posted that I can't. It says nothing about it in the county laws. Why can't I do it here?
Cop - cause my kids play here and I don't want them seeing people like you....
Me - people like me? What the hell do you me people like me?
Cop - people digging up public property for no reason. It makes the city look bad
Me - dude...your telling me I make the city look bad but the f%&#in crack heads hanging out around the parks doesn't?!?!?!
Cop - my kids don't see that crap. You need to leave now.
Me - well I don't need to since there is no law about it....and your not in uniform...or in your cop car...so you really have no authority over me at the moment....
Cop - you better be gone when I get back...I'm going home to get my " citation book" ( whatever the hell that is)
Me - where do you live dude... imma run my detector in your front yard....( thinking I'm being funny)
Cop leaves I continue on my path to riches.....
He comes back!!!!!!!!!! And writes me a damn ticket!!!!!for tress passing ( which I will be fighting) and for arguing!!! I didn't know they can do that....what is this world coming to.....butt head cop.

So the moral of the story...I guess.....is I'm not as funny as I thought I was....really rather depressing if you think about it. Oh and now I'm going to be short $142.57 this week cause I can't keep my big mouth shut!

End rant.

YOU FIGHT THAT WITH NO APOLOGIES !!!
YOU DID NOTHING WRONG YOU WERE HARASSED ! AND DISCRIMINATED AGAINST !!!! FIGHT IT !!!:hello2:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
People like you digging up public property for no reason make the city look bad. Wow,just wow. Guys kids must still be traumatized.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trespassing in a public park?? Umm ok. I think I would go see his boss first. And coming back to write you a ticket?? I think there is a law about that also...Good luck but you wont need it.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you need me in court to set them straight :dontknow: The again, that might not be a good idea :laughing7:

By the way, I am well known in the law circles as F Lee Spartacus :headbang:

This is what you should have done. When he returned with his book, you should have questioned him, as follows.

killerclown: Do you know who I am
Cop: No
Killerclown: Good let's keep it that way (and just walk off) :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Works for me every time :tongue3:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
killer-clown, you said, in your OP, that the supposed rule or law he claimed you were breaking, was as follows:

"Cop - people digging up public property for no reason....... "

However, when he comes back, he gives you a ticket for: "Trespassing"

Do you see the inherent contradiction here? Is anyone else seeing this? For starters, I presume you were leaving no marks, scars, traces etc... RIGHT? Therefore, any such codes or laws that forbid "alteration" "defacement", "vandalism", and so forth, would not apply. They all inherently infer the END result. If you leave no trace of your presence, then by logical deduction, you have not alterED, defacED, or vandalizED anything, now have you? And ironically, (even with the admitted temporary evil of extraction), this appears to not be the case of your ticket anyhow!! So nothing along those lines to even defend yourself from, to begin with! You are now given a ticket for "trespassing"? Huh? How the h*ck does someone trespass in a public park that wasn't closed (ie.: not after hours, etc....). I suppose he'll try to say that it *becomes* "trespass" when or after told to "move on" by a cop?

I suppose that's along the lines of the following example: it may not be against the law to stand on a sidewalk on the street-corner, right? But if the anti-riot police are quelling a crowd demonstration, and coming along the street with the batons and shields moving the crowd backwards, then .... in fact, you can be asked to "move away from the sidewalk on the street corner", and failing to do so, becomes "trespass" ?

To a certain degree, cops (and duly appointed public officials) are indeed given latitude to interpret laws as they see fit. That's why laws are sometimes written vaguely, so that they can apply in a myriad of situations that arise in the field. You know, vague things like laws forbidding "public annoyances" or "disturbances", etc... Sounds arbitrary, but when you think of it, if cops didn't have such flexibility to do their jobs, then people would forever be arguing semantics with them. You know, debating the meaning of laws out there in the field. So therefore, law enforcement is understandibly given some degree of on-the-spot intrepretation, lest society break out in chaos. Example: If I wear a single sock to the park, and a cop tries to bust me for the nudity ordinance, I could debate him and tell him that "technically I wasn't nude, since I was wearing a single sock", and so forth. However, at what point does it devolve into non-sensical whimsical unfairness? I mean, what's to stop a cop from telling you to leave the park, because he figured your blue shirt bothered the dandilions?

Since the "digging" issue seems to be a non-issue now (since that wasn't the infraction for which he ended up writing the ticket for), then perhaps the whole thing boils down to the fact that you didn't know that he was a real cop at first. Because he wasn't in uniform, and since "badges" are a dime-a-dozen at the toy-store, it would seem that this alone should get you off the hook, as an honest mis-understanding. Because I don't think anyone on this forum would advocate arguing with cops (even if they are being unfair, or are wrong about the laws, etc..., we all know to "be polite" , "give lip service", etc....). But if someone just walks up and starts making claims that they're the cop or president or napolean, then ..... I'm not so sure we are just supposed to believe anyone and everyone's claims.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plain clothes Cop writes you a ticket?, Can they even do that?....Yea I would be fighting it too....To be honest, I would have never given him my information until a Police Officer showed up, The guy obviously is prick. You should fight it for sure.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a lawyer, NOW. I'm sure you can find one willing to work pro-se (no fee) because they can add that to their resume of court wins.

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
killer-clown, you said, in your OP, that the supposed rule or law he claimed you were breaking, was as follows:

"Cop - people digging up public property for no reason....... "

However, when he comes back, he gives you a ticket for: "Trespassing"

Do you see the inherent contradiction here? Is anyone else seeing this? For starters, I presume you were leaving no marks, scars, traces etc... RIGHT? Therefore, any such codes or laws that forbid "alteration" "defacement", "vandalism", and so forth, would not apply. They all inherently infer the END result. If you leave no trace of your presence, then by logical deduction, you have not alterED, defacED, or vandalizED anything, now have you? And ironically, (even with the admitted temporary evil of extraction), this appears to not be the case of your ticket anyhow!! So nothing along those lines to even defend yourself from, to begin with! You are now given a ticket for "trespassing"? Huh? How the h*ck does someone trespass in a public park that wasn't closed (ie.: not after hours, etc....). I suppose he'll try to say that it *becomes* "trespass" when or after told to "move on" by a cop?

I suppose that's along the lines of the following example: it may not be against the law to stand on a sidewalk on the street-corner, right? But if the anti-riot police are quelling a crowd demonstration, and coming along the street with the batons and shields moving the crowd backwards, then .... in fact, you can be asked to "move away from the sidewalk on the street corner", and failing to do so, becomes "trespass" ?

To a certain degree, cops (and duly appointed public officials) are indeed given latitude to interpret laws as they see fit. That's why laws are sometimes written vaguely, so that they can apply in a myriad of situations that arise in the field. You know, vague things like laws forbidding "public annoyances" or "disturbances", etc... Sounds arbitrary, but when you think of it, if cops didn't have such flexibility to do their jobs, then people would forever be arguing semantics with them. You know, debating the meaning of laws out there in the field. So therefore, law enforcement is understandibly given some degree of on-the-spot intrepretation, lest society break out in chaos. Example: If I wear a single sock to the park, and a cop tries to bust me for the nudity ordinance, I could debate him and tell him that "technically I wasn't nude, since I was wearing a single sock", and so forth. However, at what point does it devolve into non-sensical whimsical unfairness? I mean, what's to stop a cop from telling you to leave the park, because he figured your blue shirt bothered the dandilions?

Since the "digging" issue seems to be a non-issue now (since that wasn't the infraction for which he ended up writing the ticket for), then perhaps the whole thing boils down to the fact that you didn't know that he was a real cop at first. Because he wasn't in uniform, and since "badges" are a dime-a-dozen at the toy-store, it would seem that this alone should get you off the hook, as an honest mis-understanding. Because I don't think anyone on this forum would advocate arguing with cops (even if they are being unfair, or are wrong about the laws, etc..., we all know to "be polite" , "give lip service", etc....). But if someone just walks up and starts making claims that they're the cop or president or napolean, then ..... I'm not so sure we are just supposed to believe anyone and everyone's claims.

I wholeheartly agree...how can a cop throw me out for digging and charge me for tress passing...I don't get it....as far as public parks go...at dark you are tress passing....that's it. Law states that if an appointed official ( ie judge, county commish...etc) throws you out...your tress passing.....doesn't say anything about cops. I have no issues standing up to police....they are no different than I am....just people. If your wrong and try to enforce it because you wear a badge I'm going to let you know.

Law also states that a " badge" doesn't really count as identification as an official means if Id . Law enforcement officers have a nasty habit of abusing what little power they have.....some not all. But a badge and a glock doesn't mean anything to me. Especially if you inform me that the reason your tossing me is for your kids and not the law.
Now I don't think I was doing any harm...to anyone. My gun was in the truck...my clothes were clean...my face clean shaven....I think the cop wanted to play because I'm covered in tattoos....I strongly feel I was singled out....

I will fight this stupid ticket....I'm going to fight it for the principle, not the money.....and I'm going back to the PUBLIC park....I will dig...I will recover...I will clean after myself....and if y'all don't hear from me for a few days.................

I will probably be in jail. :-)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would want to have a real Officer there when he tried to write the ticket. It would have helped if you had recorded the conversation, but that could go wrong also as they don't like to be recorded but it would help in court. Trouble is you have to go to court and it would help if you had a lawyer, but again that is more expense you won't recover. For trespassing charges the "cop" doesn't have to be in court in most cases. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Self appointed Dic tator !

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you win your case for doing nothing wrong to his kids i would say in court im going to sue you for herasment , by going home and comming back shows something wrong or he would have called for a on duty officer .

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you should contact the local News Station.

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
After you win your case for doing nothing wrong to his kids i would say in court im going to sue you for herasment , by going home and comming back shows something wrong or he would have called for a on duty officer .

Hey I didn't even think of that!!!!! Your right...if I was doing something wrong why not call for backup. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread