got into it with a cop yesterday

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was out at a small park messing around.....mind in my own business.....and this guy walks up in normal clothes...says he's a cop...I say "I don't belive you...lemme see some id " he shows me a really shiny badge and card. ( very pretty)...anyway conversation goes like this.....
Cop- what are you doing here son?
Me- - I'm just messing around with my metal detector
Cop - your not allowed to do that here
Me - well sir it isn't posted that I can't. It says nothing about it in the county laws. Why can't I do it here?
Cop - cause my kids play here and I don't want them seeing people like you....
Me - people like me? What the hell do you me people like me?
Cop - people digging up public property for no reason. It makes the city look bad
Me - dude...your telling me I make the city look bad but the f%&#in crack heads hanging out around the parks doesn't?!?!?!
Cop - my kids don't see that crap. You need to leave now.
Me - well I don't need to since there is no law about it....and your not in uniform...or in your cop car...so you really have no authority over me at the moment....
Cop - you better be gone when I get back...I'm going home to get my " citation book" ( whatever the hell that is)
Me - where do you live dude... imma run my detector in your front yard....( thinking I'm being funny)
Cop leaves I continue on my path to riches.....
He comes back!!!!!!!!!! And writes me a damn ticket!!!!!for tress passing ( which I will be fighting) and for arguing!!! I didn't know they can do that....what is this world coming to.....butt head cop.

So the moral of the story...I guess.....is I'm not as funny as I thought I was....really rather depressing if you think about it. Oh and now I'm going to be short $142.57 this week cause I can't keep my big mouth shut!

End rant.

Upvote 0

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea it all worked out for the best. The supervisor let it go and trashed the citation. I really don't have I'll feelings anymore. The cop was just doing what he felt he needed, even if it was wrong. I'm sure he will get an ear full when he clocks in. I don't want him to get in trouble. Just would like to see him treat people with a bit more respect. I'm a tattoo artist...I pay taxes both with my shop and with my home taxes. I like to think I help pay his salary....I also hope he learns not to judge a book by the cover...I may look suspect but I have no fear of the "law" or what they want to try to enforce. Both my parents are attorneys as well as my sister....I know my rights as a citizen. Which is why I took the citation to his supervisor.Thnk you guys for all of your support and advise. Much love to all!
i want him to take a month off, no pay. he is apunk with a badge. take badge away for awhile and send him to serve fries with horse burgers at McNasties for a month and he will learn not to be a richard head.

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you learned that a "cop" don't have to be in uniform or in his "cop" car....sounds like he gave you plenty of time to leave!!! Some just learn hard and slow!!!!

BrianB

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Western Mass. Holyoke
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that was me, and he asked what I was doing, I would have replied, fishing for silver sided dirt trout,.................here's your sign.:laughing7:

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds good, I'm no expert but I've been doing it a while and usually go every weekend. I've never md in that area but with a little research on the oldest parks, swimming holes or river shoals I'm sure plenty can be found.

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sounds good, I'm no expert but I've been doing it a while and usually go every weekend. I've never md in that area but with a little research on the oldest parks, swimming holes or river shoals I'm sure plenty can be found.

I've been working on research....I need all the help I can get with my ace 250.

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's better than what i started out with...you can still find plenty of stuff you just have to be in the right old areas and know your machine. Hit me up on the Messanger we can work something out

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess you learned that a "cop" don't have to be in uniform or in his "cop" car....sounds like he gave you plenty of time to leave!!! Some just learn hard and slow!!!!

Are you serious Sackett that so called cop is a total douchebag, I would've been in jail alright but not by him, it would take back up and clean up for his sorry azz, Clown was doing NOTHING WRONG! That wanna be was totally outta line. People like him give cops a bad name. You don't think there is something more important he could have been doing? Seriously ?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest you fight it. There will be a court date on the ticket. The cop will have to appear. Also subpoena as many of the commissioners that you can. The ticket will also have the specific statute numbers that you violated. If he was OFF duty at the time, he will get paid overtime for seeking you out. If he was ON DUTY, he was a detective with certain other duties than detector patrol. There are other angles too. If he was not legally stopping you, he has violated your federal right to be where you were. GREAT BIG problems for what he did if not a legal stop. That computes to renumerative penalties TO YOU. Get where I'm going with this? I was a cop. I know they cannot do these things. That ticket was an arrest. If you did not break any laws, then an illegal arrest. If, in fact, you were completely engaged in lawfull activity, I get 10% consulting fees. (just kidding). Go for it and let us know! As said above, get the press involved. TTC

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Just got home from the police station....supervisor informs me....
"If there isn't a city or county ordinance posted or stating I didnot do anything wrong then I did nothing wrong"
He said the "officer" was in the wrong and threw the citation out...last words from him were "happy digging"

Killer clown -1
Crazy cop -0

Congratulations. I'm so thrilled that the Supervisor was willing to listen to your story and throw out the citation. I hope that you don't run into this officer again.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now, Now, Sackett, That's not nice, get real... did'nt you read, No Sign posted does not make it open season enforcing and running people off and give a ticket for tresspassing at a public park durring normal hours. Off duty officer "O" for enforcing/un-legal self made rules, Metal detector guy "1" for having rights.

<Update> To Killerclown:
(I just read the out come from contact by supervisor. Kudos to you, I knew you were in full letter of the law with your legal rights on a public park!...I am Happy for you. No one especially our good citizens/ Metal Detector friends need to be hastled this way.
I am glad to help and give you an avenue for recorse. The City would have lost a lot of money for a case they couldn't win not counting some news show or TV show like TMZ who would swoop up the action because of popular interests.
Have a great tomorrow without the ticket & fine hanging over your head, Peace my friend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Now, Now, Sackett, That's not nice, get real... did'nt you read, No Sign posted does not make it open season enforcing and running people off and give a ticket for tresspassing at a public park durring normal hours. Off duty officer "O" for enforcing/un-legal self made rules, Metal detector guy "1" for having rights.

<Update> To Killerclown:
(I just read the out come from contact by supervisor. Kudos to you, I knew you were in full letter of the law with your legal rights on a public park!...I am Happy for you. No one especially our good citizens/ Metal Detector friends need to be hastled this way.
I am glad to help and give you an avenue for recorse. The City would have lost a lot of money for a case they couldn't win not counting some news show or TV show like TMZ who would swoop up the action because of popular interests.
Have a great tomorrow without the ticket & fine hanging over your head, Peace my friend.

Thanks guys!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

did you actually read this thread or just the first few sentences of the first post?

Justdigitoo7

Feb 10, 2013
Please fight that ticket ! I get harrased all the freaking time ! Its hard to enjoy the hobby anymore because of butthole cops stupid lawsa and noisey ass people figjt fight fight hh

Justdigitoo7

Feb 10, 2013
Ty very much a lot of people of have just paid it thanks again its people like u who just might make this hobby truly fun again hh

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first read this I thought to myself, he is off duty, if he witnesses someone committing a felony he must take action. There is no felony in progress, at best he could call his station and request an on duty officer to come check out the suspicious character with the metal detector. If he was in fact on duty then why was he at the park with his kids? Wasting tax payer money? As far as I know, unless you are on duty or you witness an actual crime it is illegal to act any different as a normal guy. When he went home to get his citation book , he is now acting outside of his official duties and it becomes a crime.

Call his station and file an official complaint against the officer. He needs the retraining on his legal boundaries.
Best of luck.
DiG

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I may be wrong, did a little reading. It seems that they can cite while off duty. That is idiotic.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of this, Maybe He was tired Of Hearing His Kids Say, He Has A Metal Detector!!! That Would Be Cool !!! I Want A Metal detector!!!! Dad Buy Us One!!!

If He Ever Bugs You again, Tell Him If he Cant Afford One, Someone On Treasurenet Might have An Extra one to Help His Kids Out With One!!! HH Chug
Hummmmmm.....hey little boy, want to try a metal detector? It won't get you hooked and won't lead to a more expensive machine......yeah we've all heard that line before! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread