This could save your life!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was thinking about something that almost happened to me a long time ago in Alabama.
If you happen to be searching a old homesite, be it standing or just a pile of rocks, do yourself a huge favor and do NOT walk across a old pile of boards laying on the ground, sure it may just be an innocent pile laying there, covered in leaves and weeds, or it very well may be covering a old well!.
Like I said, you could lose your life, especially if you are hunting alone.
I was searching the area around a old homesite, it just looked like a pile of old rotting boards, one step later and crunch...I was flat on my back, with one leg magically in an unseen hole.
Well I got up and realized what had just happened, and grabbed a nearby rock and dropped it in the hole, about 3 seconds later I heard a splash..
I just felt the need to share this experience, since it could have been my last.

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if you drive a lot in forest roads (old logging roads) a ham radio is a good investment

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if you drive a lot in forest roads (old logging roads) a ham radio is a good investment

You don't need a ham license if you are seeking emergency assistance cb radios work to but hams have much more distance

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An aquantiance who worked for the County doing tax valuations was in a part of our state that has Indian reservation on it. He had the flu needed to pooh bad saw an old outhouse. Goes to outhouse does his business and pulling up pants floor collapses he is in deep ****. Has to crawl climb out drive home to change covered in ****. Has to have lots of shots for bad diseases in pooh. Watch out for weak boards. Could have been worse he could have drowned.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do wind up in the bottom of a well, make sure you check the bottom well before you get rescued. There's no telling what coins/treasure might have been tossed in there for good luck!
It was common custom in Ireland to throw silver into the wells to purify the drinking water!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good thread. Many times we are so excited to be hunting a new spot, we rush in and throw caution to the wind. This pic shows a site I found while detecting last year.
6ymuhude.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Just get a real long rope and tie it to your car and waist. Leave the keys in the car with the windows down. When you fall inthe well hopefully your car gets stolen and you get ripped out of the well. Works every time

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post, it reminded me of something that happened to me 35 yrs ago. I was a log home builder, we covered up the stairwell hole with a sheet of plywood and over time the cover moved and when I came down off a 8 foot wall and landed on that cover I went all the way to the basement floor and just missed a table saw. Shattered my heel and shook me up pretty good, sure don't want to experiance anything like that again. Be carefull everyone!!

Paul

dbag1969

Jun 15, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
Boy your right about that Capt Nat! I mean after all, if I fall 20 feet down into a bottom of a well, I'll be super excited that my detecter fell in with me! Really! Who cares that I didn't bring my phone or flares with me. But boy I'm sure glad I got my metal detector. I mean, can you imagine what the folks conversation sounded like after finding him at the bottom a year later? "Well at least he had his MD with him".

Tugger

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BC1969. Gives some good advice! I live Washington in an area of many old mines are abundant one tell tail sign of an old well or mine entrance are a growth of blackberry vines growing in a place that just seems out of place?we all just need to be aware of the surroundings we are hunting. God hunting!

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
An aquantiance who worked for the County doing tax valuations was in a part of our state that has Indian reservation on it. He had the flu needed to pooh bad saw an old outhouse. Goes to outhouse does his business and pulling up pants floor collapses he is in deep ****. Has to crawl climb out drive home to change covered in ****. Has to have lots of shots for bad diseases in pooh. Watch out for weak boards. Could have been worse he could have drowned.

ROF LMAO!!!!!!!

Tugger

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG water dog....did he remember to check for valuables tossed down there? Always take advantage of the situation! Although he might have had other things on his mind just then..

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was shown an old house I could detect at and the owner walked me around the property first. He was sure to warn me not to walk on the two bumps in the yard near the house, which looked like the rest of the yard mind you, because underneath were the cisterns for the house and he wasn't sure if it would give or not. The whole house looked like it was about to fall over tbh lol. Oh and that yard wins for most pop/beer tabs EVER. 70 I think it was that day and 2 clad coins a spoon...and some foil. Not too keen to go there again.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's why if I'm hunting an old homesite with any amount of brush I carry a walking stick to poke around ahead of me to make sure I'm not going to step into a chuck hole either and break an ankle or a leg. It's a habit that carries over from wade fishing, where a wading staff has saved my bacon more than once when it kept me from stepping into a hole and floating my hat.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
The fall season is almost upon us, frost lowered grasses means folks stomping through the woods trying to find old homesteads..so I figured I'd bump this, to remind folks to watch their steps...for it could end up your last ones.

Mike

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I try to drill that into people when theyre walking through tall grass.I came across an open well once in waist high grass.where it was nobody would of heard you yelling if you lived the fall,whack your head good on the way done,see ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread