This could save your life!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was thinking about something that almost happened to me a long time ago in Alabama.
If you happen to be searching a old homesite, be it standing or just a pile of rocks, do yourself a huge favor and do NOT walk across a old pile of boards laying on the ground, sure it may just be an innocent pile laying there, covered in leaves and weeds, or it very well may be covering a old well!.
Like I said, you could lose your life, especially if you are hunting alone.
I was searching the area around a old homesite, it just looked like a pile of old rotting boards, one step later and crunch...I was flat on my back, with one leg magically in an unseen hole.
Well I got up and realized what had just happened, and grabbed a nearby rock and dropped it in the hole, about 3 seconds later I heard a splash..
I just felt the need to share this experience, since it could have been my last.

Upvote 0

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to drill that into people when theyre walking through tall grass.I came across an open well once in waist high grass.where it was nobody would of heard you yelling if you lived the fall,whack your head good on the way done,see ya.

One caved in at my grandmas house. We were having a bonfire and half the fire pit went 2ft down what do you know a well was there lol

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One caved in at my grandmas house. We were having a bonfire and half the fire pit went 2ft down what do you know a well was there lol

Filled it in and drove my jeep over it to see if it'd collapse more...happy it didntbi could be doing a axle swap right now if it did :0

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to drive a bobtail truck to deliver gasoline/diesel to gas stations and a lot of times to tanks in the country for farmers. I never had a problem with wells, septic tanks, etc.; and never worried about them because I figured the farmers' tractors would have already 'found' those. Also I drove a truck delivering butane and propane to people in the country. I was always careful to avoid wells and such. One of the other drivers had a septic tank top cave in with him. The rear wheels on one side of the truck went into the tank. A large wrecker was required to lift it enough to get it out.
Once I was driving down a gravel road in a little country town. It had been raining for several days. I saw a place where a ditch had been dug across the road. This ditch had been filled in so I didn't think anything about it. I was driving a propane truck with a 2500 gallon tank that was almost full. When my front wheels hit the ditch, they sank and came back up the other side; but caused the truck to bounce badly and I couldn't get on the brake quickly enough to stop the rear wheels from entering the ditch. There I sat. I could spin the wheels, but couldn't 'rock' the truck forward and backward even an 'nth. One of my customers saw me sitting there. He told me that he would be right back. He had a dump truck, and a 4 wheel drive pickup that was being driven by his son. They hooked the dump truck to my truck, then hooked the pickup to the dump truck. The dump truck was loaded with broken cement from a slab that they had been breaking out. They tried to move the truck but couldn't. They tried until the dump truck's rear axle broke.
I had to wait for a large wrecker to come out. He hooked onto my truck at the rear and lifted as much as he dared with his winch; them he backed against me and pushed me out of the ditch. The rear deck of the truck was never the same after that. The lifting warped it a bit.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My great grandfathers place had a well / cistern that you could turn several mule teams around in the bottom of it and was at least 40 feet deep !!

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
My great grandfathers place had a well / cistern that you could turn several mule teams around in the bottom of it and was at least 40 feet deep !!

that's some scary stuff. I think most folks think falling into a well and dying is uncommon, heck do a google search for people falling into wells, its actually very common. what makes me feel as I did a good deed by telling of that almost happen to me, is this thread has like 3k of views so maybe it may really save somebody's life. I sure hope so.
anybody wanna hit some old virgin ground home sites I've got permission to hunt let me know..only reason I've not gone is because I know these locations have unfilled wells, and being alone that would be bad if I found one the hard way.

Mike aka BigCountry

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post and a reminder of the potential dangers out there !

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an S5 which is water proof. So as I'm reading this and going mental at the fact of falling in a hole and never getting out ESPECIALLY IF IT'S IN DEEP WATER! I feel reluctant that if I were to fall in my phone would survive, giving me a chance to get a signal and calling for help.

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There should be a website where we can plot our route we plan to take on google earth and anyone on our friends list can view where we went.

I always tell people where I'm going since it's kind of remote but turns out the spots I picked had lots of people (the worlds not getting small theres just less in it -Captain Jack Sparrow-).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread