The Future? Metal detectors in your shoes/boots!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lemur Studio Design develops mine detector in a shoe

Check out these shoes that are being developed for the military that can detect land mines! How long until a civilian version is offered to the public for metal detecting?

save-one-life.jpg

Upvote 0

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
They claim it'll detect an anti-personnel mine with metal parts at a distance of 2 meters. They're lying, presumably to attract gullible investors. I'm quite safe in saying it won't detect a car at 2 meters. Heck, it probably won't detect an Abrams tank at 2 meters.

If it works at all, it may detect a coin at a distance of several inches. Many modern antipersonnel mines have very little metal in them, in order to avoid being detected by mine detectors (which are military versions of real metal detectors).

In other words, this device does not detect by beep, it detects by boom. Any volunteers for field testing?

Historical note: Back in the 1980's as an engineering experiment I built a little pulse induction unit (circuitry fairly similar to the later Fisher Impulse) that had a searchcoil that went into the sole of the shoe, the electronics went in your pocket, and the beep was via a little crystal earphone. It'd detect coins to about 4 inches.

--Dave J.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are shoe detectors out there right now. The problem with them is pinpointing and you still have to recover the target somehow. If you're trying to be stealthy, it just doesn't quite do it. Now if they can make the target jump out of the ground, they may have something!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are shoe detectors out there right now. The problem with them is pinpointing and you still have to recover the target somehow. If you're trying to be stealthy, it just doesn't quite do it. Now if they can make the target jump out of the ground, they may have something!

I'm with ya on that one!

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out these shoes that are being developed for the military that can detect land mines!

Yeah, these will definitely detect land mines, but so will an ordinary pair of shoes, in exactly the same way.

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, these will definitely detect land mines, but so will an ordinary pair of shoes, in exactly the same way.

I agree, so is there anyone stupid enough to want to test them on land mines, if they do they might go off with a bang.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet some people would be walking around their local battlefields looking for artillery shots and shells.I saw something in a magazine that was a walking stick or cane that detected somehow.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting is one thing.....recovery is another. How are you going to stealthily dig up a deep target? Even digging a shallow target is hard to do without notice by somebody.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When caught guilty party deserves what ever penalties that get and hope it is steep...........

All they do is bring un-needed bad publicity on our hobby..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone would have to be crazy to try something like digging on federal land.I think the fine is like $250,000 fine,and federal imprisonment.There isn't nothing out there worth all that!But I bet some people would try it,exspeacialy with them shoes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions