Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone.
I have been metal detecting off and on for 20 years.
I started with coin hunting with a CZ5 and then went in to nugget hunting with other detectors for most of the years after that.
I have had some good "All around detectors" like the F75 LTD and minelab 505.
I have kind of been out of the loop for a while and am a little overwhelmed by all the unfamiliar detectors so I'm looking for a little help.
I currently have a Fisher Gold Pro and am going to keep that for nugget hunting, and it is a good all around detector in its own right.

I would like to get serious with coins. I want something that is HOT on silver and goes deep.
I will be hunting old parks that have been hit hard around here as well as old homes and abandoned homesteads..

The little research I have done so far points me towards something like a CTX 3030.
I can afford the CTX but don't know if I can justify that much money when I'm only hhunting probably once a week on average.

One more thing. Some of the places I hunt are absolutely covered in nails and rusted caps!
none of my fisher machines have been good at discriminating those out. I have learned to get around a lot of them but I hate wondering if I'm passing something good when I do skip the dig.
thanks,
Bryan V

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it is a forum where everyone has there own opinion, I just think.in a real.test if ur gonna call out every machine made & say nothing can compare & uve tested well not only would u have to really dedicate endless hours on learning each machine to its full potential & by the time u learned the 10th machine probly forgot how to get the most out of machine 1 & 2 that & ud have to have that endless amount of detectors & learn & travel to just about every where cuz yes ground conditions do matter that's also physics. Never the less you have ur opinion on what u like & so fourth & so does everyone else that's what forums are for opinions hh & good luck

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would that be the same "laws of physics" that govern LRL's?
Well as far as I know Carl Moreland issued years back 25000 $ award for anyone that can prove dowsing works. LRL's are actually a Dowsing rods with claimed electronic enhancement. Only no one ever gets to prove that.
The physics behind Dowsing is not been recorded as no one knows what in reality is. There are no scientific methods developed yet to reliably prove the Dowsing type of search.
Yet in reality there are number of people that can actually demonstrate some skills in this field.

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cuz yes ground conditions do matter that's also physics.
I agree.
However all IB detectors will experience more or less the same amount of loss on any given ground conditions.
There is no way on one field Minelab will be twice as deep as Tesorro for example, but on the other field Tesoro would be twice as deep as Minelab, because of some weird ground conditions.
It is simply not the way IB detectors work.
But it is for sure a marketing brainwash that is used to get folks to buy what's the popular gadget for the day.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your Nexus was a great as you claim, the word would get around and everyone would have one. How come you don't see them at the detector shows and hunts?

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your Nexus was a great as you claim, the word would get around and everyone would have one. How come you don't see them at the detector shows and hunts?
Nexus were never mass produced. Just by October last year they were actually made to customers order only not been available ever on any shelf. For the older Nexus Standard SE I had to wait almost 3 months to be made to order. Insane.
They just couldn't get to make many of them because of their resonant tuned coils. Now Nexus seem to have developed better manufacturing process, but still I don't think they will get any near to the quantities of other manufacturers.
Also in Europe folks find a lot of very expensive antique items and no one wants competitors on the fields so most keep the Nexus info to them selves. I realised that only after I got my first SE a while back.

You see your argument is a valid one, but for mass produced products. Nexus is just not one of them.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be very hard to believe, that its just a hush hush detector.everything if someones using it word will get out, if if it were that good then more would want it & ask the company to.make it & that many people knew there was a machine that didn't cost over $2000 that could beat anything out there they would be able to afford what vendors would ask for. To ne it honestly sounds like the regular guy that just likes his detector more then any other brand & there for no other is good enough, just like guys who buy whites,or minelab or fisher or garret the loyal customers are & do say the same things

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be very hard to believe, that its just a hush hush detector.everything if someones using it word will get out, if if it were that good then more would want it & ask the company to.make it & that many people knew there was a machine that didn't cost over $2000 that could beat anything out there they would be able to afford what vendors would ask for. To ne it honestly sounds like the regular guy that just likes his detector more then any other brand & there for no other is good enough, just like guys who buy whites,or minelab or fisher or garret the loyal customers are & do say the same things

I just goggled it and watched a you tube video of it. It looks very deep, but also looks like it would be hard to use around a target friendly or trash laden area. For $2500 I personally would get a ctx 3030!

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just goggled it and watched a you tube video of it. It looks very deep, but also looks like it would be hard to use around a target friendly or trash laden area. For $2500 I personally would get a ctx 3030![/QUOTE
I compared the 3030 directly. It is not a match, not for recovery speed or for depth. Target separation is way behind what MkII can achieve. 3030 does have a nice design, but it feels twice as heavy compared to MkII. On the trash sites I run in circles around anyone with 3030 when I use my small 4" Nexus coil.

A while back I was as skeptical as you, not anymore. Now I am finding stuff previously though were impossible.

Just go to You Tube and search for Nexus Metal Detector and then go trough the results. There is some guy called Dan Haban. He seem to have made some reasonable video demos on MkII and Credo DDM.

Now those videos are not exactly by the hard science, but never the less a single coin at 20" no other detector have ever demonstrated such power before.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What kind of warranty does it have? How about customer service and support? Also seems like it would be kinda hard to pinpoint with.

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of warranty does it have? How about customer service and support? Also seems like it would be kinda hard to pinpoint with.
Nexus gives 24 month world wide warranty from the day the detector was received by the customer.
Pin pointing is not a problem at all. This Dan Haban guy is using the Multitone audio that in Nexus is not working like in all other detectors. It is too slow for pin pointing. The pin pointing is best done in the normal audio, which is very fast.
The Nexus #8 coils are extremely good at pin pointing. DD are not as good, but no worse than in any other brand I used.
So far the customer service and support that I have from Nexus is the best ever. If something brakes during the warranty period they don't normally bother with repairs, but replace it with new even if it is the whole detector unit.
I really like their policy in this regard and replacements/repairs are carried out instantly upon reception.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With just two tones and no VDI other then a red/green light bar, it would probably not be the best choice for US coin hunting........unless your sites contain very little modern trash and you plan on recovering most or all non-ferrous targets.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just messing around online, I looked at the nexus & watchd some vids on them,honestly there not to bad, but only being out since 2005 doesn't really have enough time to put them against all the others, that & ya I can see that there deep might be more then others & that might be because mainly the others are getting a lot of depth, but of course nexus is gonna have a lot of depth they use a 13" & a 20" coil so that might explain quite a bit about there depth, also not sure how comfortable it would be to swing a detector with a 20" coil all day. That I don't know could be well balanced I'm.not sure I've never tried them. So I can't say therre junk.& can't say there great either one thing is if you do want one feebay sells em

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nexus gives 24 month world wide warranty from the day the detector was received by the customer.
Pin pointing is not a problem at all. This Dan Haban guy is using the Multitone audio that in Nexus is not working like in all other detectors. It is too slow for pin pointing. The pin pointing is best done in the normal audio, which is very fast.
The Nexus #8 coils are extremely good at pin pointing. DD are not as good, but no worse than in any other brand I used.
So far the customer service and support that I have from Nexus is the best ever. If something brakes during the warranty period they don't normally bother with repairs, but replace it with new even if it is the whole detector unit.
I really like their policy in this regard and replacements/repairs are carried out instantly upon reception.
You had to wait 3 months for a custom made unit (why it has to be custom made has yet to be explained) but they'll replace it "instantly"? Something just doesn't sound right here. If they're looking to sell more detectors and become a leader in the industry (which most legit businesses strive for) they'll make plenty of them and put their machine up against other brands in competition to prove they're the best. I just haven't seen that done yet. You tube videos are fun to watch but hardly proof of anything.

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had to wait 3 months for a custom made unit (why it has to be custom made has yet to be explained) but they'll replace it "instantly"? Something just doesn't sound right here. If they're looking to sell more detectors and become a leader in the industry (which most legit businesses strive for) they'll make plenty of them and put their machine up against other brands in competition to prove they're the best. I just haven't seen that done yet. You tube videos are fun to watch but hardly proof of anything.

Nexus had to be custom made in the past because of their resonance tuned search coils. Now they developed a faster way to make the same coils. The older Nexus model line was custom made the new one is not. I waited for Nexus SE about 3 months. The new line is made up front so customers do not wait anymore or wait very little.
There are some cars that are custom made. Why they have to be custom is yet to be explained. In fact there are plenty of custom made gear. It is the company choice to do this kind of business.

I have seen some time back the Nexus designer openly suggested on the Geotech forum that anyone who believes their detector is better than Nexus to come out on public test against the old Nexus in those days and show what that detector is worth against Nexus. I think it was back in 2005 or 2006, not sure. I have not heard anyone to have ever answered that challenge. What makes you believe anyone would go for that now?

I have also read recently the the same Nexus guy challenged for a public test Gary the owner of garysdetecting.co.uk forum and what Gary did he got pissed off and close the Nexus account in his forum. So Gary did not have the balls to answer this challenge and kicked the guy out of his forum.

My point been. Nexus have tried number of times to get other brands to a public challenge, but they evade it every time. Any idea why?

Last edited:

sirusramse

Mar 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just messing around online, I looked at the nexus & watchd some vids on them,honestly there not to bad, but only being out since 2005 doesn't really have enough time to put them against all the others, that & ya I can see that there deep might be more then others & that might be because mainly the others are getting a lot of depth, but of course nexus is gonna have a lot of depth they use a 13" & a 20" coil so that might explain quite a bit about there depth, also not sure how comfortable it would be to swing a detector with a 20" coil all day. That I don't know could be well balanced I'm.not sure I've never tried them. So I can't say therre junk.& can't say there great either one thing is if you do want one feebay sells em
O no ma men.
As I said I have compared the MkII with the dual 9" search coil, not the dual 20" (I don't have one like that). I also used in comparisons my dual 4" coil. Most detectors can not catch up the depth of the small dual 4" coil and non can get even close to the dual 9".
You can still get on Google the older Nexus comparative charts and see what coils they use against other brands.

Dan haban on You Tube does not use 20" coil but 13"DD and 10"DD. Well every other manufacturer is using the same sizes, but they can never show the same depths as I see from Dan Haban.

The bottom line is.
You don't have to believe anything. I am just sharing my experience with Nexus older and last models.
If you would like to get the real info I can help with what I know and even do some specific tests for you with US coins or any other target in the ground and let you know exactly what my findings are. If you want to argue for ever I am not interested.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I'm not gonna argue back & fourth bottom line is the op wanted suggestions on a what might be a good choice for him & its gone off topic & shouldnt have really, all I am gonna say is there are opinions from everyone. Everyone who has a detector they like & are brand loyal will say they have the best weather tests are don't or not you like,them & that's fine so its whatever I say back to op's question & not the mines,better then urs argument ya know, I gave my opinion so on to the next

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread