Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this... how about you all?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I consider clothing left behind as something I dont want.always swing my tector over abandoned gloves in snowplay sites tho.my biggest question is...how the heck do people not notice they are missing a shoe?come across em all the time.

If you dont know you are missing clothing your prolly not that bright and stupid folks nearly always wear cheap jewelery anyways.I dont feel bad for em.now wealthy stupid folks are my favorite people.their inheritance is a form of trickle down economics for us.they will chuck a valuable ring on purpose because"he doesnt understand me"like this will help.it does,it helps me.

god bless the wealthy,dim and flashy types.they sled with all the bling on,street clothes without zippered pockets,no traction on their footwear and use 7-11 plastic sleds that turn into sled slaw in minutes.

I'm leaving the jacket tho

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't touch it and be on my way. I would inform park officials there was a lost jacket.
And then I'd show them the trash I picked up!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave the clothes alone, they are usually kids, but if I dig it up its mine!....that includes the trash.

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, I would be a lttle cautious about sticking my hand in a pocket only to stick myself with a needle.
This is the first thing that came to my mind, as one park where I hunt is a hangout for junkies and drunks. So far no needles, but I have dug a few used tubes of plastic cement that the junkies squirt in milk bottles so they can huff the fumes.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For me, it's fair game if it's IN the ground.

I like your style.
We are detectorists, not buzzards.

I just cannot see there being any type of thrill pulling a couple bucks or a watch out of an abandoned jacket pocket or the like... no sense of accomplishment like you'd get hunting/finding/digging something... It was a jacket, laying on the grass - congratulations, you have at least mediocre vision.

It would lead me to believe if you are doing this rifling through pockets thing it must be for the prospect of a financial gain... Which if your willing to take a dollar or two out of say, a kids coat left on a playground or a ladies purse left on a park bench - maybe you oughta be considering selling your detector and get you some cash the honest way.

And hell, getting stuck by a diabetic needle, etc... Maybe its dishonest AND suicidal.

This is only my 2¢ of course - Every one of you are adults and can do whatever the hell ya want, haha.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

tonymc2

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2012
Jasper,Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check for some ID IF if there was none would leave all in the pockets because the person that lost it will come back looking for it,I have stopped at a gas station to pay for gas with 10 pumps when i go to pay the wind is blowing really hard before i get to the door a $20 lands on my shoe that is my lucky day there is no way to find out who lost it I would not give it to the store!!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Principles! I got principles. And if you don't like those I got others. Groucho Marx

DocHolliday

Nov 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of-course I search the pockets for ID - So I can return it if possible.
If I find anything valuable, I take it with me. Leaving the coat there.
I go back to my car, grab paper and pen - leave note with my contact number in the same pocket.
If they call and describe what they lost, they get it back, if no one calls I keep it.

Everyone wins, except the person that would have stole the items and not looked for the actual owner.

Not sure about leaving your contact info, you might get a call from the owner of the jacket and the police department, demanding the return of his Rolex and the $1000 cash he claims he had in the pocket when he 'put down his coat for just a second' and then you stole it. (even though there really wasn't anything)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I would just leave it alone. While I don't consider myself a vulture, I also don't feel that it's my responsibility to return every lost item I come across to it's owner. Metal detecting is a hobby for me. Finding stuff in the ground is fun, even if it's clad. Finding silver, gold, relics, etc is what really keeps this hobby exciting and keeps me doing it. Searching jacket pockets and/or looking for a jacket's owner, does not appeal to me.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people that loose stuff appreciate having it returned if possible. I know, I'm one of them. If you are offended by this then so be it....

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Most people that loose stuff appreciate having it returned if possible. I know, I'm one of them. If you are offended by this then so be it....

Was that directed at me TC?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
All this is very coincidental. I went to a local park yesterday after work and after all the kids abandoned the tot lot, I hunted it. There was a piece of clothing, I'm assuming a jacket or sweater, laying on the ground. I did what I thought I would do and steered clear of it all together. I imagine someone has already noticed it missing and retrieved it.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at people that search for I.D. on lost items as "vultures", then yes it was directed at you and others that coined the phrase. As I stated above, I appreciate having my lost "stuff" returned and I'm sure other people do. Wallets and purses, you may as well figure the money will be gone, but the most important stuff, mainly I.D. is what you really appreciate being returned.
Was that directed at me TC?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Vultures perform a useful service. Returning a coat, checking its pockets or leaving it where it is can all be a good thing.

Attachments

• 1448035060628.jpg
    1448035060628.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
TC, Someone had already stated:
We are detectorists, not buzzards.
I guess I substituted "vulture" for "buzzard". I'll let you go find when and where it was stated.

My statement was:
While I don't consider myself a vulture, I also don't feel that it's my responsibility to return every lost item I come across to it's owner
Which talks about my feelings about myself and only myself. How you would think I would be offended because you like to return stuff is beyond me. My views are simply that if I want to try to return something, it is my decision and shouldn't come from ethical pressure. I don't consider it my responsibility to use my valuable time to investigate who an item belonged to, then try to track that person down, just because they lost an item and I found it (or in this case, came across it). I may decide to do so with a class ring. I may decide to avoid a jacket in the park altogether.

If you like to return everything you find, that's your business. I'm not offended and certainly not calling you a vulture.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If you like to return everything you find, that's your business. I'm not offended and certainly not calling you a vulture."

That's great!! You do your thing and I will do mine:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions