Should I buy this metal detector?

Nov 3, 2013
Space Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I REALLY want to get into metal detecting on the beach, and I found this detector on Craigslist for $20. Should I buy it? (I'm super poor, so I can't afford an expensive one.) The guy says it's a Mikron (he called it a 'Microns' in the ad, lol), but doesn't say what model it is, so I'm trying to contact him to find out. Can anyone tell anything about it from the picture?

00606_55OGHzMB2ZF_600x450.jpg

Upvote 0

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
It won't detect in saltwater. No idea what it is or if it will work on dry sand. Most detectors will work on dry sand, or at least some dry sand (it tends to vary from beach to beach).

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If money is the problem, look into a used Tesoro. They work well, are reliable, and usually cost less due to lack of digital "stuff".

OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2013
Space Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I should add that the sand on our beaches tends to retain a lot of water even above the high tide line. Will this affect what kind of detector I need?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pass in a skinny millisecond on that MD. Look for a vintage Whites. Maybe a 5000D. I have seen them on craigslist running in the 50 dollar range and sometimes less on ebay. Also, the Bounty hunter 202 in good used condition would be a great first machine. I have seen them in the 50 dollar range as well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will only work in the sand above the high tide line, any sand that is in the wet salt water zone will cause constant it to be very unstable and constant falsing...

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I REALLY want to get into metal detecting on the beach, and I found this detector on Craigslist for $20. Should I buy it? (I'm super poor, so I can't afford an expensive one.) The guy says it's a Mikron (he called it a 'Microns' in the ad, lol), but doesn't say what model it is, so I'm trying to contact him to find out. Can anyone tell anything about it from the picture?

View attachment 1314931

Looks old. If you go on the internet to Hobby Lobby and get their 40% off coupon and than buy their Bounty Hunter Tracker iv listed at $109.99 you 'll be in with a new machine 5 year warranty for about $70. It's resale would be alright. Gets you going on the dry sand and maybe the wet too. There is a Hobby Lobby in Melbourne to go check it out.

OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2013
Space Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay thanks, I'll keep my eye out for those. If I get one that can detect in water I assume that will eliminate the high tide line requirement?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a hobby and detectors that will operate in saltwater or even wet saltwater sand are expensive because they operate on more than one frequency. Aboutt any detector will work in dry sand. But most of the gold rings will be in the wet sand or water were fingers are slippery. Read this post from the master The Golden Olde :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1314931

Looks like the Micronta 4000 BFO machine sold by Radio Shack in the early 1980s.
As already advised; do not buy this. Even at $20 it is not a good deal, especially if money is tight.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about this one? This appears to be a vintage White's. Only thing I'm concerned about is the weight -I'm a relatively slight woman and I've read that old White's can be on the heavy side, especially after swinging them around for a while.

White's 2500/D coinmaster metal detector made in USA

Yes, they are heavy. But if it works it would be well worth the $35 because it is in your budget and was a top of the line machine (AFAIK) when it was new.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That Coinmaster 2500/D was introduced in 1988. I'd give it a swing prior to purchasing to make sure it works, and it's well worth that $35.

It will be a bit heavy, but you could make a sling to keep the weight manageable. Otherwise, with the beast's physical design, all the weight will hit your elbow (did me).

You can easily find a manual for it on-line.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Coinmaster 2500/D was introduced in 1988. I'd give it a swing prior to purchasing to make sure it works, and it's well worth that $35.

It will be a bit heavy, but you could make a sling to keep the weight manageable. Otherwise, with the beast's physical design, all the weight will hit your elbow (did me).

You can easily find a manual for it on-line.

I concur. If it works, its a great deal on a machine that's not a toy.

OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2013
Space Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I did it, I bit the bullet at $35! I am now the proud owner of a White's Coinmaster 2500! I can't wait to get out there and start beach combing!

I'm still unclear whether or not it can be dunked in the water? I read the entire manual and it doesn't mention water immersion, but it does mention rinsing it with tap water if it gets saltwater on it to protect it from corrosion.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well...I did it, I bit the bullet at $35! I am now the proud owner of a White's Coinmaster 2500! I can't wait to get out there and start beach combing!

I'm still unclear whether or not it can be dunked in the water? I read the entire manual and it doesn't mention water immersion, but it does mention rinsing it with tap water if it gets saltwater on it to protect it from corrosion.

Do not get the control box wet. Do not get the control box wet. Wiping it down with a damp cloth to keep salt off it after use by the ocean ..fine.
By setting it in the water ,or getting waves hitting it or by dropping it ,or raising the coil end up and water running back towards the control box...great risk exist of harming your new prize.

Inspect your battery connections on arrival.
Sometimes they can be corroded .
Pull the batteries before storing your detector.
Have fun!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...35519-whites-coinmaster-oldie-but-goodie.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions