Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's why I've been targeting a abandoned boys high school. But I have yet to find a high school ring. I've been trying to find what the PMI would be either on the ATP or my F75 To give me a better idea. Where I live all the Catholic high schools were 14K. Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldMasterllc

Apr 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEGA SCAN PRO is equipped with advanced technology to meet the needs of researchers for gold ores, gold treasures, minerals, tunnels and spaces, and other valuable metals under or on the surface of the ground. It has high sensitivity sensors and a feature that reduces the impact of rocks making the detection of a target easier than by any other detector.It is supported by: LCD screen(with high-resolution display), laser system, night lighting, and long lasting batteries(up to 20 hrs of continuous use).

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I've been targeting a abandoned boys high school. But I have yet to find a high school ring. I've been trying to find what the PMI would be either on the ATP or my F75 To give me a better idea. Where I live all the Catholic high schools were 14K. Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tricky question with no exact answer due to the many factors that pretty much make PMI on gold rings impossible, i.e., alloy content, shape, size, etc. Sterling silver, for example is "always" .925% silver so the PMI range for these items is much narrower. However, 14K gold is just slightly over 50% gold content with the other alloy content ranging from silver, nickel, copper, etc., so a much broader PMI range is introduced. PMI is really only useful to hunters who are shooting consistent metals like silver coins, etc., the range of gold just being too broad to be relied on.

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still learning my excal but on my explorer se gold comes in all over tones and id i don't use discrimination but I dig every repeatable return sometimes even the iffy ones a crushed or broken ring sounds way different I have a few rings I found crushed and make a totally different return when I straighten them

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for posting that link. But , I had to ask myself: isn't it a "given" that ... there will tend to be "higher end" jewelry and locations where people are "more affluent" ? Sure: go hunt beaches (or parks and schools) on the "good side of the tracks". Or where "the rich and famous play". Versus blighted bad side of town economically challenged zones ???

And would also note that the blighted/bad side of town parks/schools/beaches will be invariably riddled with more junk . Perhaps people are less "tidy" and more prone to drop their trash there, than at the upscale uppidity-up locations. Thus your ratios of aluminum to jewelry (aside from the caliber of said-jewelry) will be much worse at poor neighborhoods, vs affluent neighborhoods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanx for posting that link. But , I had to ask myself: isn't it a "given" that ... there will tend to be "higher end" jewelry and locations where people are "more affluent" ? Sure: go hunt beaches (or parks and schools) on the "good side of the tracks". Or where "the rich and famous play". Versus blighted bad side of town economically challenged zones ???

And would also note that the blighted/bad side of town parks/schools/beaches will be invariably riddled with more junk . Perhaps people are less "tidy" and more prone to drop their trash there, than at the upscale uppidity-up locations. Thus your ratios of aluminum to jewelry (aside from the caliber of said-jewelry) will be much worse at poor neighborhoods, vs affluent neighborhoods.

True. Much of the information in my videos are "givens" to a lot of us, yet not to many others. I recently started spending time hunting with several new hunters and it's surprising just how much many of us with experience have learned to take for granted and just how much these folks have been influenced and mistakenly perceive by the videos they watch. I honestly don't think any of them realized just how much labor and learning was involved. So a lot of the content I put out there is for the newer crowd in an effort to help them along.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to also keep in mind that an area can change over the years. I've hunted currently rundown areas that once were where the elite rich lived. You need to do your research on the area you plan on searching to see what the history is.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a given - have found some of my best diamond rings at small town beaches - In poor towns
and have found plenty of fakes at high end spots - just a sample

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Not a given - have found some of my best diamond rings at small town beaches - In poor towns .....

Casper, thanx for the eye-candy pix ! You blinded us with all that bling ! haha

Yes, there will always be exceptions. Some of the cultural ethnic populations in my area, even though not affluent (just agriculture workers), yet it's in their culture to wear "Mr. T" type fat gold necklaces. With amulets dangling off of them. Thus, sure, they too can loose something nice.

But on-the-all, at least when it comes to the higher-end carat size diamonds, the "trend" I've seen at our beaches where I live, is the bigger stones have come from a certain beach where it's ... uh .... rather exclusive zip code.

However, you're right: I've seen the argument made for the converse. Because there is/was actually a "fad" where flashy gold jewelry even gets worn in the ghetto areas. Heck, take a look at what the rap musicians wear (not exactly known to represent wealthy people's music tastes). And their "fad" look that their fans emulate: lots of gold, rings, bling, etc....

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to get back in the water...I'm about go buy a kiddie pool, cover the bottom with sand, and drop a few rings in it.....:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread