Another SILVER half from the same yard with the ETRAC!

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is WOW! I think these are my 6th and 7th silver coin from this yard!
So much for the Etrac learning curve!

DSCN1452.JPG DSCN1455.JPG

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Sov....gotta love those "Big Silvers"....Congrats man....still waiting to find my first Barber.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Doug,this yard has yielded 3 firsts for me: First ever silver half (1 Barber and 1 Walking) and first Barber quarter! Barber half was 1-46 on Smartfind screen. The 1960 Roosevelt was sitting on top of two clad quarters and an iron nail!
Nice finds Sov....gotta love those "Big Silvers"....Congrats man....still waiting to find my first Barber.

Last edited:

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you are lovin' that Etrac! Nice coin!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are purdy coins for sure. Ya just have to get your coil over it, and wear the right color lucky socks. I am still working on this.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotta love those Minelabs...they are great machines.....and yes putting the coil over the coins help....but it has to be those lucky socks!!

Good luck at that place Sov......there has to be more there.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must be the socks...my friend has an F2 and has only found some modern change and a 1914 Wheat... He came to hunt with me yesterday. When he was leaving he said,"If I leave you'll find something, that's how it always happens." Yep about half an hour after he left- BAM! 1906 half! He was there the first day we hunted though, and he saw me find the Walking Liberty half. I think it might have to do with the fact that he has a concentric coil on the F2: less coverage.

Last edited:

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.Still waiting on the weather here got 2-3 inches snow last night.

Spring is around the corner, I hope.

Keep pulling them silvers!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I have been getting out any day it's warm or cold. I hunted one day for 3 hours when it was around 40 degrees. Supposed to be 2-4" here in Southern Indiana tonight. It was originally forecast to be in the 50's so I'm glad I went out Friday and found the dime and half(it was in the 50's and no rain or snow). I was going to go home after searching for quite a while (the only good find was the 1960 dime at that time)also my first set of wireless headphones had just run down. I got out my other charged pair and hunted on. Glad I did! I have done really well on my first and only site with my new Etrac.
Nice finds.Still waiting on the weather here got 2-3 inches snow last night.

Spring is around the corner, I hope.

Keep pulling them silvers!

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You minelab guys have convinced me what Im gonna buy this summer. Nice finds.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the F75 would do well here too! I'm gonna hit a couple areas that are loaded with iron to see what's there(been starting to try the more difficult areas now. Maybe I will try TTF, although I have been finding coins mixed in with iron nails with my modified Andy Sabisch pattern. I may clear out the pattern strip that I added to disc out pulltabs. I have found one toy silver ring there as well

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F75 has just been tearing it up lately. But I am all about features. The F75 will keep me happy, but the CTX 3030 looks like a better fit for me. I believe in having goals. As for your hunt, I am not schooled on your detector. So can only suggest experimenting with all your settings. Too quickly test a poor or weak signal, I can quickly switch in between disc and all metal mode. Everyone's ground is different, but if you set this up right, you will dig more good targets, no matter the brand of detector you use. But it takes practice. While iron sounds like a broken signal and not completely disc out on my F75, I am digging coins with pull tabs and nails on top of them. Im sure your minelab will set up like that also. Iron and bad dirt with a dash of emi has taught me to quickly set my machine and GB. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a lot of high tones on rusty nails and many read exactly like a coin, although I am starting to pick up a slight difference in tones (coin compared to nail) Not sure exactly what it is. I don't manually ground balance but I use settings for difficult ground and trash which helps(right now I am still using Auto for ground balance as I haven't gotten used to manual yet). I use noise cancel every 20 to 30 minutes or when changing settings or moving to a different area. It selects the best channel with least interference. I can switch to quickmask screen for help with identifying iron(I still haven't found this to be that advantageous as iron can still tend to read and sound like a coin) i've dug several coins mixed with nails. The 1960 silver dime I found last hunt was sitting on top of two clad quarters with a nail!
The F75 has just been tearing it up lately. But I am all about features. The F75 will keep me happy, but the CTX 3030 looks like a better fit for me. I believe in having goals. As for your hunt, I am not schooled ondetector. So can only suggest experimenting with all your settings. Too quickly test a poor or weak signal, I can quickly switch in between disc and all metal mode. Everyone's ground is different, but if you set this up right, you will dig more good targets, no matter the brand of detector you use. But it takes practice. While iron sounds like a broken signal and not completely disc out on my F75, I am digging coins with pull tabs and nails on top of them. Im sure your minelab will set up like that also. Iron and bad dirt with a dash of emi has taught me to quickly set my machine and GB. Good Luck.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats not Apples to Apples. The F2 is probably a decent machine for $180 and the Etrac should be a Very good machine for $1300. Many of us know the Etrac is alot of fun but an F2 can also be alot of fun in the right area. The Etrac makes many bad areas GOOD!

Keep pulling those nice Silvers!!

Jeff

Must be the socks...my friend has an F2 and has only found some modern change and a 1914 Wheat... He came to hunt with me yesterday. When he was leaving he said,"If I leave you'll find something, that's how it always happens." Yep about half an hour after he left- BAM! 1906 half! He was there the first day we hunted though, and he saw me find the Walking Liberty half. I think it might have to do with the fact that he has a concentric coil on the F2: less coverage.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course my Etrac was bought used for $894 total so that makes it even more fun!:laughing7: I hope there's still some silver there! I can't complain if there isn't! Oh and I just bought an old Golden Sabre II with a big coil. It was one of my favorite old machines. I'm going to let my inexperienced friends use it when they go with me.(I'm sure I will too) Found a lot of good stuff with it 'back in the day'
Thats not Apples to Apples. The F2 is probably a decent machine for $180 and the Etrac should be a Very good machine for $1300. Many of us know the Etrac is alot of fun but an F2 can also be alot of fun in the right area. The Etrac makes many bad areas GOOD!

Keep pulling those nice Silvers!!

Jeff

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions