Xterra 705 or Safari?

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
I have a Teknetics Delta 4000 that I started with and was very good to me, next I got an AT Pro which I am very happy with but now want to try a Minelab. I like a lot of the features and tones they have... the At pro does great on the beach. I like the Xterra 705 and the Safari from what I can see and have read. Can anyone tell me the major differences between the two? I know the Xterra has a backlit display screen and I sometimes hunt at night and like that feature... not sure if the Safari has one too, also in some pictures of the Safari the screen shows a ring and coin symbol.... is this just showing it is in coin and jewelry mode or will the Safari tell you a rough size or shape of the target? Any major differences between the two is what I am looking to find out, thanks in advance everyone here has been more than helpful in the past. Can't wait to find out and make a choice!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Teknetics Delta 4000 that I started with and was very good to me, next I got an AT Pro which I am very happy with but now want to try a Minelab. I like a lot of the features and tones they have... the At pro does great on the beach. I like the Xterra 705 and the Safari from what I can see and have read. Can anyone tell me the major differences between the two? I know the Xterra has a backlit display screen and I sometimes hunt at night and like that feature... not sure if the Safari has one too, also in some pictures of the Safari the screen shows a ring and coin symbol.... is this just showing it is in coin and jewelry mode or will the Safari tell you a rough size or shape of the target? Any major differences between the two is what I am looking to find out, thanks in advance everyone here has been more than helpful in the past. Can't wait to find out and make a choice!
…………...
One difference is that the….. 705 runs on a single Frequency… And the Safari is a multi-frequency it runs with Full band Spectrum at 28 Frequency's...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
I read that but do not know how much that affects me... can you elaborate just a little bit on what this will mean to an average detectorist?I know I can get different frequecy coils for the xterra but not sure how often I would need other frequenciesI also see that if I got the Safari I would not need different frequency coils... I could just get different coils made for it so I wonder with the xterra if I would be buying lots of coils. Whatever detector I own I always like to get different coils for them for different applications DD concentric and smaller DD to seperate better so I'm sure I would eventually get other coils for either machine but wonder if I would have to get less for the Safari since you don't have to change coils to change frequencies

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Also what are the battery differences between the two?I see the Safari has a battery pack or something on the bottom under where your arm would rest.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You can gold prospect with the right coil on the 705… But the safari would not be as good for prospecting …

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
The area where I live is not known for having any natural gold that I know of... the only gold I would be finding would be rings on the beach or in parks... thanks to all so far for the responses I really appreciate each and everyone's input.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are quite a few differences, some already pointed out by Keppy. :icon_thumright:

Safari - FBS (multi-frequency) technology -
- all DD coils (there is one rare aftermarket concentric FBS coil but I don't even remember who makes it, it was not popular)
- 5" thru 18" coils available from Minelab, Sunray, Coiltek, NEL, and Detech (SEF)
- much heaver
- 8AA batteries or optional rechargeable battery pack

X-Terra 705 - multiple frequencies selected through a coil change - coils available in 3 kHz, 7.5 kHz, 18 kHz - in 6" thru 15" sizes (and lots in between) through Coiltek and Minelab
- lightweight
- has a "prospecting" mode (I like it for relics too)
- 4 AA batteries

The X-Terra is probably a little faster, but not much.... both seem to like a slow swing speed.

To answer your question about the ring and coil on the screen - It will display those icons when it thinks the target may be a ring, coin, etc.

Personally if I was to choose between the two I'd take the X-Terra 705... To me its more bang for the buck - but you really can't go wrong with either. Both are proven performers.

If I can help in any way decide, feel free to give me a call. :)

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Awesome info... thanks so much and Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous Hunting New Year to all!

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, buy the safari with extra coil. The Safari even performs up to par with e-track.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good question to ask yourself would be, "Would you rather have the high end of one technology, or the bottom end of another one?"
The 705 is the top of the V-Flex line of detectors, while the Safari is the bottom of the FBS line. Comparing the two is apples and oranges to quite an extent.
Having said that, they are apples and oranges that compliment each other, which is why Minelab combined them and came up with FBS2 (the CTX-3030). It's also why I have both a V-Flex and an FBS machine. Each has it's advantages, however......

The Safari is the least configurable of the FBS machines, just as the 705 is the most configurable V-Flex unit. The Safari is heavy, lacks a back light, has many "Auto" features (meaning that you have no control over them), and offers the user no more target information than a 705. The 705 inversely is very light, has a back light, Prospector mode, Beach mode, two Pinpoint modes, Ground Balance Tracking Offset, and a host of Auto/Manual features that allow the user to make changes and tweaks like no other.

Personally, between the two, I'd pick the 705 no question. If an E-Trac was thrown into the mix, the decision would be much more difficult. But having an Explorer SE and a 705, I can say that the Explorer will be gone long before the 705, because what the Xterra brings to the table is flexibility and capability unlike any other machine available. Even when I dump the Explorer and get a CTX, the 705 will still have a home here...it's that good!

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks and Merry Christmas that is exactly the info I needed to hear and you are right.....I will get the xterra 705 it is more what I am looking for right now and I love what I see about the etrac but its a little to much budget wise for me right now but makes perfect sense what you said about high end of one technology and low end of another.. thanks again!

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really can't go wrong with the 705. I believe the 705 will more than do the job you want. I love mine and think it will be good enough for my detecting need for quite a while. Merry Christmas to you also

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A good question to ask yourself would be, "Would you rather have the high end of one technology, or the bottom end of another one?"
The 705 is the top of the V-Flex line of detectors, while the Safari is the bottom of the FBS line. Comparing the two is apples and oranges to quite an extent.
Having said that, they are apples and oranges that compliment each other, which is why Minelab combined them and came up with FBS2 (the CTX-3030). It's also why I have both a V-Flex and an FBS machine. Each has it's advantages, however......

The Safari is the least configurable of the FBS machines, just as the 705 is the most configurable V-Flex unit. The Safari is heavy, lacks a back light, has many "Auto" features (meaning that you have no control over them), and offers the user no more target information than a 705. The 705 inversely is very light, has a back light, Prospector mode, Beach mode, two Pinpoint modes, Ground Balance Tracking Offset, and a host of Auto/Manual features that allow the user to make changes and tweaks like no other.

Personally, between the two, I'd pick the 705 no question. If an E-Trac was thrown into the mix, the decision would be much more difficult. But having an Explorer SE and a 705, I can say that the Explorer will be gone long before the 705, because what the Xterra brings to the table is flexibility and capability unlike any other machine available. Even when I dump the Explorer and get a CTX, the 705 will still have a home here...it's that good!
.. But the high end of the V-Flex is not as good as the low end of the FBS..

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks I understand that too as well but o ly have a year of detecting under my belt and am doing well and already to get my third detector lol....i still will use my at pro alot in certain conditions and places but the 705 has alot of what im looking for and when i step to the fbs technology i dont want the low end.....may be a couple years before I take it to the next level and from what I know now I think the 705 will be a keeper and keep me happy for a long time.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would debate that with you Keppy. There are times that a single focused frequency is a distinct advantage over a multi-freq machine.
Think about this. If I'm a coin shooter hunting a farm field where there used to be a home, which would do better, a multi-freq machine that sees everything, or a single frequency machine running 3kHz that will distinguish between high and low conductors better?
I hunt sites like that with both machines, and I honestly have about given up with the FBS at them for this very reason. I can go into the field with my 705, and then follow up with the Explorer and find nothing with the Explorer after finding several coins first with the 705. Would the FBS machine have found he same coins? Maybe, but the fact still remains that the FBS unit didn't find anything that the 705 didn't.
I have quite a selection of coils for both machines, because I believe in tailoring my setup for conditions and targets sought. I've also spent considerable time on both machines, so there is little disparity in my familiarity with both units. I DO believe that both technologies have their merit, and that they are better compliments to each other rather than competitors. And apparently Minelab engineers feel the same, which is why they combined them to come up with FBS2. Where an FBS machine has trouble, a V-Flex might easily not, and vice versa.

I still maintain that I would rather have a fully user adjustable V-Flex machine than a mostly Auto FBS. So I don't see anything that provides the operator with any less information than an Explorer being any advantage on land over a 705 simply by virtue of being FBS.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would debate that with you Keppy. There are times that a single focused frequency is a distinct advantage over a multi-freq machine.
Think about this. If I'm a coin shooter hunting a farm field where there used to be a home, which would do better, a multi-freq machine that sees everything, or a single frequency machine running 3kHz that will distinguish between high and low conductors better?
I hunt sites like that with both machines, and I honestly have about given up with the FBS at them for this very reason. I can go into the field with my 705, and then follow up with the Explorer and find nothing with the Explorer after finding several coins first with the 705. Would the FBS machine have found he same coins? Maybe, but the fact still remains that the FBS unit didn't find anything that the 705 didn't.
I have quite a selection of coils for both machines, because I believe in tailoring my setup for conditions and targets sought. I've also spent considerable time on both machines, so there is little disparity in my familiarity with both units. I DO believe that both technologies have their merit, and that they are better compliments to each other rather than competitors. And apparently Minelab engineers feel the same, which is why they combined them to come up with FBS2. Where an FBS machine has trouble, a V-Flex might easily not, and vice versa.

I still maintain that I would rather have a fully user adjustable V-Flex machine than a mostly Auto FBS. So I don't see anything that provides the operator with any less information than an Explorer being any advantage on land over a 705 simply by virtue of being FBS.
..You could be or are right…. But when Minelab came out with the V-Flex name i talked to Minelab about what V-Flex is and they told me that it was just another name for VLF … They told me V-Flex and VLF were both the same……Different names..

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FBS and V-Flex are both VLF.
What V-Flex is, is the most digital platform out there. It and FBS2 both utilize SmartCoil technology, which involves the coil communicating with the control box.
Among other things, it is how the parameters are set to the frequency choices available to an Xterra. It is why a quarter will ID the same with an 18.75kHz on as it will with a 3kHz coil, despite the difference in the quarter's response to the different frequencies.
On a CTX, among other things, it is what allows the machine to ID more than one target under the coil at the same time.

Trust me, it has it's advantages.

FBS has it's advantages too. If I were hunting wet salt sand or shallow water, an FBS or PI would be the best choice....just as one instance.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new with an Etrac and loving it's capabilities so far. Have had a 705 for a while now and always will have my 705. It is a super machine that in my opinion you will be VERY pleased with. I won't part with it..........

dusty bin

Oct 10, 2013
Hi being as you already have a at pro would not see much point to a 705 as well so would go with the safari

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread