MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Care to expound on that statement? I see little if anything that an ATP and a 705 have in common beyond both being VLF.

I'm with you there there both very different machines

dusty bin

Oct 10, 2013
Both the ATP & the 705 are great detectors and yes the ATP is stronger in some areas than the 705 it is also true that the 705 is better than the ATP in others. Both great detectors and I'm not saying one is better than the other what I'm saying is he already has a great VLF detector so surely it would be better to get a FBS detector next

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spaceport, you may want to contact issombeituni in regards to your exterra/safari questions. Not too long ago he was deciding between the two. He already had an exterra and was deciding whether to get a second one, for his wife, or go with a safari. It looks like he decided on tha safari, judging by his posts. He could give you an objective perspective on BOTH machines. He just posted this morning on the Minelab forum. I would think he could be very helpful to you.
Locater

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A direct comparison really isn't possible. The two technologies are like apples and oranges. The 705 is the most digital single frequency machine on the market, and it allows user configuration like no other anywhere near it's price point. A Safari is multi-freq, is capable of delivering little more information to the user than the 705, and doesn't give you many user configurable (and other) options that are available on the 705 and Explorer/Etrac.
The two technologies do compliment each other! And I can see having both for what each does bring to the table. But.....

If I had to pick just one machine, if the Safari was the only FBS machine I could choose from, if wet salt beach hunting wasn't big on my list, and it was between that and a 705? There's no question in my mind that I'd take the 705. The overall flexibility of the 705 is governed by the user's imagination. I have well over 1000hrs on mine (probably closer to 2000), and I'm still exploring various tweaks and how they enhance capability on targets in wildly differing conditions. At the same time, it can be a turn on and go park hunter/coin killer....or an able prospecting unit. It's all about what you want to do with it.
I'm the son of an engineer, and my head is into understanding the how's and why's, so I appreciate that Minelab engineers designed the 705 to give me so much to play with. Yet I can hand it to a total newb at a local park, and know that they will find something and be hooked on the hobby.
Digital technology is so cool!

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Thank I have decided on the 705 and I am sure it will keep me busy for a while before I upgrade to an fba machine ina coupke years ....I am going to do layaway with Bart from Bigboyshobboes...he works great.deals and that is where I got my at pro......I will post to this when I get it

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't be disappointed. :icon_thumright:

Now that you've made your decision.....
Go to the Minelab website and sign up. It's free and obligates you to nothing. Then to the "MEMBERS" area and download Randy Horton's FREE e-book "Understanding Your Xterra" and read it....twice. And keep gong back to it after each hunt for a while. No other one thing that you can do w/o someone actually there to help you will cut the learning curve like Randy's book. I still can't believe that it's FREE! Easy to read and understand too.

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks will do I have read about his book....I am getting the sual pack which come with the 10" dd 18.75 khz coil and the 9" 7.5 concentric....both will work well in the areas I hunt...bart sells thw 15" coiltwk for the 705 but i think it may be the lower frequency...of I got a bigger coil for more depth would a lower frequency be better?I think I read the higher frequencies are good for small gold but may miss other targets...still need to learn how the higher or lower frequencies will benefit me....the at pro runs at 15khz

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you're on the Minelab site, track down Randy's four part blog article, "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me". I'd post links, but my IPS just quit and all I have is my phone.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go.

Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 1
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 2
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 3
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 3 | Treasure Talk
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? part 4
Which X-TERRA coil is best for me? - Part 4 | Treasure Talk

Very well done I have had to now,start over with my equipment from it getting stolen & never had a,minelabe but I see a 705 in my future seems pretty capable machine in a lot of ways that from this thread alone have been,shown thank you.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had oh man they ah ended up gettin my deus xp, my Atpro with both coils cuz those I kept in my backpack with mu samson digger,lesche digger, my bomb sheaths for both, & my profind & propointer & GPS, I was loaded up with my stuff headed to my brothers house stoped by my wife's work who works at the mall no less then half hour later I cone out to a broken window on my truck & my detector equipment gone even my radio to happend very quick & wasn't to long ago (last week in a half ) still under investigation & I'm still coming the internet & pawn shops hoping ill get my stuff back, till then I was thinking on a fisher f75 ltd but the 705 is the winner

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Man good luck thats horrible.... I read great things about the xp deus and love my at pro but was ready to try a minelab and the 705 will keep me busy for a lomg time....Bart at bigboyshobbies has layaway for 20% down and to be paid off in 90 days I am going to get the 705 dual pack with the 9" concentric coil and the dd coil...comes with a propointer which I have but want a backup and lesche digger...good luck on whatever you decide and good luck on getting your stuff back...it pains me to hear about it but I believe in karma and those who did you wrong will get it back in a bad way

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man I apreciate it I'm not at all given up on my stuff the deus honestly is an awesome machine hands down but ah for now I want to detect again sooner then later & wanna try something I havent & the detecting I do this 705 fits perfect I'm 98% its gonna be the one to get me back in

OP
OP
S

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks me too everything I have read and all the advice everyone here shared has definately sold me on the 705...it is a truly versatile machine...good luck with the things that were taken from you.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, good luck to you as well

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reviews on Safari & Xterra 705 from a detector review site. Ratings by purchasers/users. 5 Stars being the top rating.

Safari: 17 Reviews
Avg. score: 4.94 out of 5
Avg. durability: 5 out of 5
Avg. ease of use 5 out of 5

Xterra 705: 16 reviews
Avg. score: 4.38 out of 5 No data on durability or ease of use

Do these user reviews mean the Safari is better than the 705? NO!! It means that the Safari fully met or exceeded THEIR expectations for THEIR use. It means they chose the right detector for THEIR APPLICATIONS.

THE ESSENCE OF CHOOSING A METAL DETECTOR IS TO FILL THE USERS NEEDS, FOR HIS/HER INTENDED USE.

The 705 is clearly one of the best single frequency VLF detectors currently available. It excels when targeting specific items, or, specific applications as gold, or relics etc. The digital interface between the coil and control box do give it some awesome capabilities! BUT!! To utilize those capabilities, it is necessary to to purchase minimally 3 separate coils of different frequencies, plus coil covers and lower stems (if you choose) for quicker coil changes. That brings the cost of the 705 beyond that of the multi frequency Safari.
If the prospective purchaser is not someone who would use their detector often for specific applications, just general detecting, the Safari MAY be a good choice. It's multi frequency FBS technology, and 11" DD coil are ideal for general detecting in any soil condition, plus wet salt sand, right out of the box. No other coils for it to meet it's potential. It's auto functions may be better suited to someone who does not wish to tweak settings and change coils.
I think the intended use of the detector and style of detecting, of the purchaser, is MOST important in choosing. Both are excellent machines, it would be hard to make a bad choice between the two!
Bottom line, if the purchaser chooses one that suites THEIR intended use, they should be able to rate their purchase 5 out of 5, because they will have made the right choice for THEM!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread