setting for silver coins on 705

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will argue I'm sure but if you are hunting in really trashy spots the best coil is the 6"HF coil.
The Digger coil is a good coil but it does not do very well with coins on edge.

I believe that is true as well. The HF 6" is so sensitive to tiny objects, (or a narrower object like coin on edge) so that makes sense. The separation is very good. I do dig much more iron with it due to the higher freq. I always feel I'm masking/missing things when using the MF 10.5 DD, but the depth of the 10.5 makes me feel I'm missing deeper targets when using the 6" coil. I know the answer; time to get an extra lower rod to make coil swaps easier & use them both at those super trashy sites!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll disagree. If you're missing copper and silver on edge with the Digger then you're doing something not quite right. The very first silver coin I dug with my Digger was an SLQ on edge that was stained by the rusty bolt laid up against it. The most important thing with that little coil is to go slow enough with it. Don't try to cover ground with it, just try to be thorough or it's easy to find yourself going way too fast. At slower speeds it is much more stable, enabling you to turn the Sensitivity up a bit more, thereby getting the most out of it. Once you have the Sens set where it's stable at slow speed, you can tell when you're starting to speed up by the machine's behavior.
Probably 90% of my swing time last season was divided between the Digger and the 15" LF All Terrain.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll disagree. If you're missing copper and silver on edge with the Digger then you're doing something not quite right. The very first silver coin I dug with my Digger was an SLQ on edge that was stained by the rusty bolt laid up against it. The most important thing with that little coil is to go slow enough with it. Don't try to cover ground with it, just try to be thorough or it's easy to find yourself going way too fast. At slower speeds it is much more stable, enabling you to turn the Sensitivity up a bit more, thereby getting the most out of it. Once you have the Sens set where it's stable at slow speed, you can tell when you're starting to speed up by the machine's behavior.
Probably 90% of my swing time last season was divided between the Digger and the 15" LF All Terrain.

I was just saying that what the OP said makes sense. I dig tiny items with the 6" 18.75 khz coil that I never seemed to find with the 7.5 khz 6" coil. I have zero experience with the Digger coil. I was under the impression that HF coils are more sensitive to smaller objects than LF coils. The surface area of a coin on edge is smaller than a coin laying flat, so it seemed logical to me!

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said you could not dig coins on edge with the Digger coil.Did say that it does not do it very well and I will stand behind that.
There are a lot more silver dimes to be found and dug than there are quarters which are always easier targets at depth.

On edge can also have different degrees of tilt. Take a dime completely on edge at 6" and using both coils see what your results are
Now I may have had a substandard coil, doubt it, but running max sensitive and zero disc in mild soil I never could get a chirp on the 6" tilted to about the 1oclock position.
One at 5" from one side would give an occasional chirp but nothing that would ever make me dig it for sure.

The 9" mf will do well on both but that is understandable.

Last edited:

SW Iowa Digger

Apr 12, 2015
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 9" 7.5 KHZ coil 9" 3 KHZ coil Minelab pro find pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any opinions on the factory 9" 3 KHZ coil

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any opinions on the factory 9" 3 KHZ coil
For years it was the only 3kHz coil that we had. I liked it a lot, and about the only time that it came off was when site conditions demanded a DD coil, at which time a 7.5kHz DD was applied.
They can often be had relatively inexpensively, and are worth it if you're operating on a tight budget.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly! The Tracking feature is constantly sampling and adjusting itself, so as soon as you're not over a target it has reset itself.
Also, most good targets are not within the range (size and/or CO) that the GB will compensate for.

Yep! I call it the lazy mans ground balance! lol

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hunt for silver but did use the 9"3kh once in a field I had cleaned pretty well. So I thought.., on the path I walked in on oh 20 times if not more the 9" screamed. This area now has a baseball diamond from the 80s and in between 1st and 2nd base I pulled a 22 peace dollar at 8". Up the same path the same day, a little further I popped a silver money clip. Then another part of the field I dug a Zink signal that was a tad higher than normal and sounded a little crisper, it was a silver ring... I call it the silver magnet. I don't use it much as my city is large and trashy (and I have gold fever) but it does smack silver. When I use my 6"18.75 I'm able to turn sensitivity way up w no EMI, the 6" coil makes you think a lot more "are gold necklaces worn heavily in the area, is the target small clasp sized is the signal strong for a small target, women's area or men's" I am constantly doing this with all coils l have.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the 3KHz coil for years on my X-70. For me, (many others as well) this was the, "go to coil" for silver. Funny how this coil has been barely mentioned! A few years back they were like hen's teeth if you were looking to buy one.

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW I did find a silver dime with the 6" 17Khz DD coil, so it's nice to know that it will still pick up on the higher conductors. I probably missed it with the 9.5" 7.5KHz coil.

On the flip-side I found a little stud earring (Gold?) with the 6" 3KHz coil yesterday.

The 6" DD Digger does help to snipe out the coins. I covered an area with my 9" MF coil and retrieved 37 coins, I then went over it with the 6" 3KHz yesterday and found another 50.

I don't find much silver, but I attribute that to the areas I used it in, since all the coils do well on old copper, I can extrapolate that performance to silver.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having an ETrac to have the multiple frequencies with a largish DD coil, I don't really want to buy another for the Xterra, as the total investment will soon be in the neighborhood of an ETrac.
My favorite coil is the 5X10 DD on my Lobo, it's a nice compromise between ground coverage and performance in trashy areas. Again, even though it is a high frequency machine, I get similar performance on high conductors as the Xterra.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW I did find a silver dime with the 6" 17Khz DD coil, so it's nice to know that it will still pick up on the higher conductors. I probably missed it with the 9.5" 7.5KHz coil.

On the flip-side I found a little stud earring (Gold?) with the 6" 3KHz coil yesterday.

The 6" DD Digger does help to snipe out the coins. I covered an area with my 9" MF coil and retrieved 37 coins, I then went over it with the 6" 3KHz yesterday and found another 50.

I don't find much silver, but I attribute that to the areas I used it in, since all the coils do well on old copper, I can extrapolate that performance to silver.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having an ETrac to have the multiple frequencies with a largish DD coil, I don't really want to buy another for the Xterra, as the total investment will soon be in the neighborhood of an ETrac.
My favorite coil is the 5X10 DD on my Lobo, it's a nice compromise between ground coverage and performance in trashy areas. Again, even though it is a high frequency machine, I get similar performance on high conductors as the Xterra.
They don't make a 17 kHz for the X-terra series. High frequency coils are 18.75 kHz for the X-Terra's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread