Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This has never happened to me before but we went to a huge yard that has invisible fencing,cables under the ground for t.v. and the like and I could not get a target I could lock in on in any mode on my machine. Is there any way to change the frequency on this model besides buying a different coil? I did somehow manage to dig a round ball but for the life of me I can't figure out how. We want to go back today but I'm afraid to use my machine since the readings were all over the place. I came home yesterday and gave it a test run in the yard and it was fine. I did end up resetting it anyway to factory pre-set.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one of the five Noise Cancel channels doesn't do it, then the answer to your question is NO.
Often where there is a strong static discharge (electric fence) or other heavy EMI (invisible fence, wireless data transmission, poorly shielded transformer, etc...) it simply isn't possible with any machine to negate the effect.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Longhair,I will try noise cancel today.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has never happened to me before but we went to a huge yard that has invisible fencing,cables under the ground for t.v. and the like and I could not get a target I could lock in on in any mode on my machine. Is there any way to change the frequency on this model besides buying a different coil? I did somehow manage to dig a round ball but for the life of me I can't figure out how. We want to go back today but I'm afraid to use my machine since the readings were all over the place. I came home yesterday and gave it a test run in the yard and it was fine. I did end up resetting it anyway to factory pre-set.

Coily I know this may not help you, but in high emi areas, the 18.75khz coil is much more stable than the stock frequency coils. Some areas i can only run the sens at 12-13, with the 18.75 6" DD I can run max (or close to) max sensitivity.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scott I may consider another coil,I've been thinking about it and that size was recommended to me. I may give it a go.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott I may consider another coil,I've been thinking about it and that size was recommended to me. I may give it a go.

In my experience, the 6" DD 18.75 does hit a bit harder on iron. That being said in a trashy, iron site it is still my 'go-to' coil. Separation is awesome and it will find tiny objects the larger coils will miss (this can be good & bad, lol). I also like the fact that it's waterproof. I have found more nickels with this coil than any coil/detector I've used.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
How do you guys like the 505?? I don't here much about it but lately I've been watching these videos of this couple that have a 505 they really clean up the beaches they're always finding gold. Check it out.. Beach hunting "Swiper Detectors"

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 305 that I bought for my mom and a 705 and love both! The 305 is the best coin shooter I've ever used and very fun to hunt with. If it's the beach your wanting to detect get the 705! It has beach GB and tracking that make it more stable in wet sand. The 705 is the most versatile machine out there and the most overlooked.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I'm sure you have or will try noise cancel which would be the easiest solution. You may have to let it run its cycle more than once. Just make sure you do this in a spot where there is no trash or other signals beneath your coil at the time of doing it. I have a Minelab Safari and although I know they are two different machines, their patented "Noise Cancel" basically works the same for each Minelab machine. I kid you not I have literally been in a spot with an underground pet fence down below and an overhead power line up above me and it ran stable as can be were as other brand machines would have went ballistic. :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same issue with my Safari. Searched a yard with an invisible fence but no matter how many times I pressed noise cancel, the machine went berserk. Also very unstable next to train tracks- not from the tracks themselves but from the overhead power that runs the commuter train. Only about 30 seconds before the train passed and 30 seconds after it passed, then the safari would be stable again. Noise cancel was no match for the power that must have been running through those lines as the train went by.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you have or will try noise cancel which would be the easiest solution. You may have to let it run its cycle more than once. Just make sure you do this in a spot where there is no trash or other signals beneath your coil at the time of doing it. I have a Minelab Safari and although I know they are two different machines, their patented "Noise Cancel" basically works the same for each Minelab machine. I kid you not I have literally been in a spot with an underground pet fence down below and an overhead power line up above me and it ran stable as can be were as other brand machines would have went ballistic. :unhappysmiley:

The noise cancel on the XT 505 doesn't run a cycle. It's just a matter of manually picking the quietest channel of the 5 available. The other option is to turn down sens or (in my case) switch to the HF coil. The X Terra 505 is a great detector! So many hunting options available & great depth. I would buy another if need be.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I had the same issue with my Safari. Searched a yard with an invisible fence but no matter how many times I pressed noise cancel, the machine went berserk. Also very unstable next to train tracks- not from the tracks themselves but from the overhead power that runs the commuter train. Only about 30 seconds before the train passed and 30 seconds after it passed, then the safari would be stable again. Noise cancel was no match for the power that must have been running through those lines as the train went by.

Maybe I've always been lucky with mine. I will say I use my 5" Excelerator coil 9 out of 10 times and maybe it is not as strong on pulling in those EMF's as the larger stock coil. Plus mixing that with adjustments I set mine at. Of course that 5" coil is supposed to allow me to get closer to things such as swing sets, etc. So maybe it is part of what makes it a little more stable?

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense. I actually had to leave the beach that day { the RR track parallels the beach }, because the commuter train came by every 20 minutes or so. If I got within 150 feet of the tracks my safrai went berserk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread