setting for silver coins on 705

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the 4 factory pre-sets in the discrimination program will do that for you, or you can set your own custom program. If all your doing is looking for silver coins then 28 - 46 is whereyou want to be. I run in AM because I dig everything my ears tell me too. Personally, where your hunting I think your nuts not going for the gold. I've hunted down there and that old ground keeps on giving.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No scrim, not only will you lose depth, you'll lose faint signals and clear signals will be scratchy. My area has been hit hard for silver so I switched gears. I decided fresh gold and clad was far easier to find than silver. I have cashed in almost $300 in clad and bought my own silver from the silver shop lol. I have a lot of time on this machine. I've found 15 gold rings in 8 months. That's just rings, doesn't count bracelets, pendants, a gold grille etc etc. I can give you some tips. I'm just shy of 3oz's of KT gold most being 14k. I own every coil Minelab males for these and a 15" coiltech.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No scrim, not only will you lose depth, you'll lose faint signals and clear signals will be scratchy. My area has been hit hard for silver so I switched gears. I decided fresh gold and clad was far easier to find than silver. I have cashed in almost $300 in clad and bought my own silver from the silver shop lol. I have a lot of time on this machine. I've found 15 gold rings in 8 months. That's just rings, doesn't count bracelets, pendants, a gold grille etc etc. I can give you some tips. I'm just shy of 3oz's of KT gold most being 14k. I own every coil Minelab males for these and a 15" coiltech.

As backstraps says, no disc or you will surely be missing things. Especially deeper things in trashy sites. AM, 99 tones, swing very slowly (2-3 sec per swing), run the sens at least 25 if possible and dig the repeatable tones. Thats the beauty of the XT. It tells you where the TRASH is. Then you can easier discern whether to dig or not

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have only had my xterra 705 a few weeks now and in worsening weather conditions so I don't feel like I have experienced
enough with it to add to this discussion except that I have found a number of coins and other finds in places I thought I
had pretty well hunted out with my BH Platinum and Teknetics Omega. The 705 is awe!some

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two very small gold rings, lots of clad, Zincolns and a 1957 Spanish 25 Pesatas coin finds with my X-Terra 705. I hunt in Mode 1 and ground balance regularly... I will have to try your suggestions on the "All Metal" mode. I've been hunting with the 10" x 5" prospecting coil but have been collecting new and used coils. Here's what I have:

Minelab 6" Concetric 7.5khz
Minelab 9" concentric 7.5khz
Minelab 10" X 5" 18.75khz
Coiltek 15" WOT 7.5khz
Coiltek 6" Digger 3khz (Just got)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
(2) Minelab E-Tracs, Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics G2+ LTD, Blisstool LTC64X V6 3 coil pkg, (2) Deteknix X-PinPointers, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Fisher F-Pulse PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn TRACKING ON. It maintains GB faster and more accurately than you can.

I haven't tried that yet... The fear of eliminating targets by going over them too many times while "tracking" is on prevented me from doing it. I had pretty good luck today: 63 class ring 1.JPG 63 class ring 2.JPG The usual clad too. Now to find the owner of this 1963 Class Ring.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! And good luck on the return. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about losing targets with Tracking turned ON....it doesn't happen.

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great. Thanks for the help... Next time out I'm going to use your advice.

Uaplumber23

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008
N. Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tracking on, sensitivity as high as you can, 99 tones, zero discrimination and swing slow.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! And good luck on the return. :thumbsup:

Don't worry about losing targets with Tracking turned ON....it doesn't happen.

I do not notice it much either. A quick really wide sweep to the left or right will reset it.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not notice it much either. A quick really wide sweep to the left or right will reset it.
Exactly! The Tracking feature is constantly sampling and adjusting itself, so as soon as you're not over a target it has reset itself.
Also, most good targets are not within the range (size and/or CO) that the GB will compensate for.

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also you may want to go to Minelabs website and download Randy Hortons Ebook on using the Xterra. It's free and has a lot of great information. GL&HH

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really should dig everything for a month. I don't mean iron and foil but nickel and up. Even deep non repeatable. Just to see what's in the ground, pick an old dirty trashy park, Mark off an area and dig everything. One you get the trash off who knows what you'll find. I use the "gold" coil and it does a surprising job of finding good targets next to iron. It will also find you rusty iron until you learn to walk around the target sweeping and listening. I don't think there's a whole LOT of silver in the ground in my area. I think the top guy found 156 coins. 8 quarters 2 or r halves and the rest dimes. How have you been doing?

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would just like to say thanks to Tasmorn for starting this thread and everyone's input on it. I Have a 705 that is in layaway, so while I recoup from tendon surgery I've been following threads on the site trying to get a good understanding on how these new machines work. This thread has by far gave me the most information on setups for the Xterra than any other. But also a lot of good information on technique regarding the operation of the machine. This by far is the best website for us treasure hunters. GG & HH everyone

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
try it with the prospecting mode, it's one of the most powerfull hammer for silver coin prospection on the market

gdzag

Oct 17, 2014
Trenton, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would just like to say thanks to Tasmorn for starting this thread and everyone's input on it. I Have a 705 that is in layaway, so while I recoup from tendon surgery I've been following threads on the site trying to get a good understanding on how these new machines work. This thread has by far gave me the most information on setups for the Xterra than any other. But also a lot of good information on technique regarding the operation of the machine. This by far is the best website for us treasure hunters. GG & HH everyone
I agree... I myself I have dug everything that's not in the Iron Zone, that's how I found my best finds... As I recall, I was getting a 20 and a 22 on the VDI when I found the '63 Class Ring. Every other 22 reading was a modern pull-tab. When the VDI is a 10... I would almost bet the house it's aluminum foil or a small piece of aluminum siding . I really haven't tried AM mode with Tracking on yet but will when the weather breaks.

Last edited:

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some will argue I'm sure but if you are hunting in really trashy spots the best coil is the 6"HF coil.
The Digger coil is a good coil but it does not do very well with coins on edge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread