Did some hunting with the Excalibur II using discrimination today

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T.H. - Are you a pin hunter only ?
Or set on 1?
Pin hunter?

I hunt reverse discrimination and I use no discrimination when I switch to discrimination to check tone. I would rather dig a 1000 pull tabs than discriminate out a $10,000 ring...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin hunter?

I hunt reverse discrimination and I use no discrimination when I switch to discrimination to check tone. I would rather dig a 1000 pull tabs than discriminate out a $10,000 ring...
Same here, I hunt in pin point and then switch to discrimination when I get a signal. If I get a dead null sound, i pass it up, but any kind of positive signal and I scoop it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with what most say about scrim. But what if you have a REALLY trashy site, imagine under a pier or something. And you only have 1 hour. Are you going to dig it all, or are you going to make a "first pass" with scrim and cherry pick some of the easy silver? That's where I use scrim, is just as a first pass in a high trash area where I don't have the time to clean the place out. If its a local spot, I'll just work it slowly with scrim on 1 and clean it all, but there have been situations where scrim has made better use of my time. I realize you miss gold which is why I don't normally hunt scrim.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with what most say about scrim. But what if you have a REALLY trashy site, imagine under a pier or something. And you only have 1 hour. Are you going to dig it all, or are you going to make a "first pass" with scrim and cherry pick some of the easy silver? That's where I use scrim, is just as a first pass in a high trash area where I don't have the time to clean the place out. If its a local spot, I'll just work it slowly with scrim on 1 and clean it all, but there have been situations where scrim has made better use of my time. I realize you miss gold which is why I don't normally hunt scrim.....
If I had only an hours' hunt, I'd still use my method. I'd just ignore the high tones and dig only the low ones. I'd rather find gold and platinum than silver and clad.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Deep Null Hunting in high discrimination
One thing about PP hunting the coil has to be moving, a good fast speed the target will stand out more. Just like hitting a speed bump, go slow and it is less pronounced, faster it really helps on the faints...Hunting in the water swing speed in PP is not controlled at best...So one can Deep Null hunt in discrimination some places to find deep treasure...
99% of the time I hunt in PP mode so just hunting in Discrimination is very hard for me but I do have one spot that it seems to work best. This area has been cleaned out by WOT's, PI's, And the Big 17 inch CTX... but if you just start digging a hole..(mining) there is a chance you will find silver or gold by checking the hole or your diggings. Also Being in a cove there is not a lot of sand movement either so targets are there, just very deep, and will never be uncovered. The way I hunt this area, go thru very slow in discrimination, set around 3 to 4, sensitivity cranked up as high as one can go, this area I can get away with about 10am....moving the coil slow and when It nulls, I dig..digging one scoop I can toggle over to PP and find the target most of the time. Targets can range from small rings to Silver Quarters, 6 to 7 inch's up to 15 to 18 inch's. And this is with the 10 inch coil, it's is the best due to the size and sensitivity of the targets involved.

Deep good targets will null because they are out of range

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread